After following those instructions, I was able to access that website in safe mode. I restarted the computer in normal mode and still cannot but this looks promising.
please advise.
I have IE9 but can't find the 'Prohibited' icon anywhere. I did find 'Active X filtering' in 'Tools' however couldn't get anywhere with that checked or unchecked.
I've also started to have problems with hotmail.com where it becomes inactive and states that 'live.com' has quit working.
It can be often very difficult to diagnose this type of problem, but at the moment I am not convinced that it is malware related since your latest logs appear to be clean.
It may be possible (for whatever reason) that your antivirus may be blocking the site. You could investigate this possibility by temporarily disabling your antivirus and then trying to connect. NOTE: please do no other surfing while your antivirus in disabled.
If your AV is not the cause, I would advise you to seek additional assistance in our Browsers, Internet and email forum.
I disabled mcafee and malwarebytes (I think that was running real-time as well) and still could not get into the site. I'll start another thread in that forum per your instructions if you think that's best.
Thank you for working with me and getting the major problem solved; when this is over I will not forget to put in a donation.
Please include this link in your thread so our Tech Team can see what has already been tried to resolve the issue.
Thank you for working with me and getting the major problem solved
You are Very Welcome
Lets remove our tools in the steps below:
Please Uninstall Combofix
Hold down the Windows key (has the Windows symbol on it) and press the "R" key.
A Run box will open.
Type combofix /uninstall in the run box and click "OK". Please note the space between the "x" and the "/Uninstall", it needs to be there.
Please perform the following cleanup procedure
Double click on the OTL.exe icon on your desktop to run the program. (Note: If you are running Vista/Windows 7, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
Once OTL has opened, click on the "CleanUp!" button.
Follow any prompts that you receive.
Removal of Tools
You no longer need aswMBR or SystemLook. Please delete them from your machine.
Once you have completed the above steps you should be good to go! If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.
Finally, please take the time to read through the information provided below:
Enhance your System Security
For an excellent list of free anti virus software, free online virus scanners, free spyware detection/removal and free firewalls, click here.
IMPORTANT! Please make sure you only have ONE firewall and ONE real-time antivirus installed on your system. When using "on demand" scanners, first update the detection signature files, then disconnect from the internet and disable your resident security program before running the scan.
Once complete, remember to re-engage your resident security before going online.
Web Browsers and Browser Security
Firefox
Firefox is generally considered to have greater browsing security in comparison to other popular programs. You can download Firefox 3.0 from here.
No-Script
If you use Firefox as your default browser, No-Script can provide additional security by preventing malicious scripts from being executed on your system.
The newest version of Internet Explorer is available from here.
SpywareBlaster
If you use Internet Explorer as your default browser, SpywareBlaster would be a valuable addition to your online security.
SpywareBlaster prevents malicious ActiveX objects from being downloaded onto your system.
You can download SpywareBlaster by clicking here.
Web of Trust
When using search engines, Web of Trust provides you with an easy way of telling the good sites from the bad and is compatible with both Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Coloured symbols are displayed next to search results, giving you more confidence in the links you choose to click on: Green (To go), Yellow (Caution) and Red (Stop).
You can download Web of Trust by clicking here.
Keep your Software Updated
Outdated software can sometimes have vulnerabilities that are exploitable by malware.
Check if there are available updates for your installed software with Secunia's Online Software Inspector by clicking here.
Passwords
Learn how to create strong passwords by clicking here and test the strength of the passwords you already use by clicking here.
Would you like to learn how to fight back against malware and help others? Enroll at the What The Tech (Formerly Tom Coyotes) Malware Classroom by clicking here.
One last thing, I still have HiJackThis and TFC on my desktop–I should remove these too, right?
give me some instruction; i'm not a computer wizard anymore.
thank you