Hi WhatTheTech,
I hope I followed your instructions correctly.
I downloaded OTL and ran the scan, when should I post the logs from that?
What's happening with my computer right now is, It got infected some months ago (I never fixed it) and I can't seem to get it off safe mode. I'm on Safe Mode with Networking right now, so I can get it online. Whenever I try to start the computer normally, it says something like "Cannot load this user profile…" I can't remember the whole warning.
I'm pretty confused. Is there any scans I can run to fix this or remove whatever malware is causing this to happen?
Any help is much appreciated, thank you so much.
-Rachel
My name is Satchfan and I would be glad to help you with your computer problem.
Please read the following guidelines which will help to make cleaning your machine easier:
please follow all instructions in the order posted
please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear
all logs/reports, etc. must be posted in Notepad. Please ensure that word wrap is unchecked. In Notepad click Format, uncheck Word wrap if it is checked
if you don't understand something, please don't hesitate to ask for clarification before proceeding
the fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
please reply within 3 days. If you do not reply within this period I will post a reminder but topics with no reply in 4 days will be closed!
IMPORTANT:
Please DO NOT install/uninstall any programs unless asked to.
Please DO NOT run any scans other than those requested
============================================
Run aswMBR
download aswMBR.exe to your desktop.
double click the aswMBR.exe to run it
if asked, accept the AVAST virus definition download
click the "Scan" button to start scan
on completion of the scan click Save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply
Logs to include with next post:
OTL.txt
Extras.txt
aswMBR log
Can you tell me if there are any others using this computer and if this happens when others are trying to log in also
Hi Satchfan,
Thank you so much for replying to me. No one currently uses this computer but me, though it does have other user profiles on it, one belonging to my brother, but he never really uses this computer.
I've got all my logs, I assume you wanted me to attach them because you mentioned notepad. Here you go.
Thank you so much for the help,
Rachel
Apologies for the late reply but I only just received notification.
It is now 11 30pm here and I have work in the morning so will look at your logs and reply as quickly as I can tomorrow.
Meanwhile, please can you re-send aswMBR as I only received a few lines of it. Copy/paste it in the post please and not attach it. Sorry if that was unclear before.
Satchfan
Looking at your logs, it appears that this entry was made at the same time that errors started occurring:
[2012/06/27 08:25:18 | 000,000,890 | —- | M] () – C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\RAR File Open Knife - Free Opener.lnk
Can you try to run System Restore to a point prior to the date and time above in red.
This may restore your registry settings.
Restore Windows XP to a previous state
Let’s see if restoring the system to an earlier state helps.
restart Windows and although you cannot use your own profile, log on to Windows as an administrator
click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools and then click System Restore.
on the “Welcome to System Restore” page, click to select the Restore my computer to an earlier time option, and then click Next.
on the “Select a Restore Point" page, click the most recent system restore point when you believe your system was working OK and then click Next. Note A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.
on the “Confirm Restore Point Selection” page, click Next. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the computer.
log on to the computer as an Administrator. Then click OK on the System Restore “Restoration Complete” page.
Satchfan,
The advice you gave me about doing a system restore worked! I'm out of safe mode just fine. Thank you so much! I am having sluggishness, somehow, though, and for some reason my internet went out for a minute, and it wouldn't repair it, so I restarted my computer, and it took awhile to shut down/ restart and when I clicked my firefox icon, it won't load anything, (I'm on IE)
Thank you for all the help thus far,
Rachel
Small update: I didn't know if it was significant to you, but last night my IE went a bit haywire and opened up tab after tab after tab of the same page I was viewing.
Not in my opinion, I personally would have nothing to do with AOL.
That aside, AOL is known to cause this problem of extra tabs. However, so is IE8 so you might want to consider upgrading to IE9 when we have finished here.
I see nothing of any consequence in your logs but would like another scan.
Run Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
I noticed that you had MBAM on your system: if you no longer have it, you can download it from here:
start Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware and update it, (“Update” tab}
once it is updated, click on “Scanner” tab, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
when the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
when removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
the log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
NOTE: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
Thank you, Satchfan. I'll take your advice and upgrade to IE 9. I do not like IE much anyway.
Here's the log from the scan on MBAM:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.62.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org
Database version: v2012.08.21.04
Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702
Anna :: P-EE951AC334294 [limited]
8/21/2012 4:37:16 AM
mbam-log-2012-08-21 (04-37-16).txt
Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 219688
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 44 second(s)
Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Memory Modules Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Registry Keys Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Registry Values Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Registry Data Items Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Folders Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Files Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)
(end)
I'll take your advice and upgrade to IE 9. I do not like IE much anyway.
IE9 is reputedly more secure than any other browser.
Hm, still nothing.
Let's see if an online scan is also clean.
Run ESET Online Scan
Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan. You will however need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be read here.
Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
ESET OnlineScan 1. Click the Eset online Scanner button.
2. For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
• Click on esetinstaller.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
• Double click on the Eset installer icon on your desktop.
3. Check Yes, I accept the Terms of Use
4. Click the Start button.
5. Accept any security warnings from your browser.
6. Check Scan archives
7. Push the Start button.
8. ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
9. When the scan completes, push List of found threats
10. Push Export to Text file and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply. Note - when ESET doesn't find any threats, no report will be created.
11. Push the back button.
12. Push Finish
If a log has been produced post it in your next reply.
NOTE. If Eset doesn't find any threats, it won't produce a log.
Satchfan
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI