This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Ubuntu in Oracle VM

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I was using my laptop as a guide to install Ubuntu in Oracle's Vm . I did exactly as the guide said and created a machine., But, after the machine was created, the guide did not correspond with my pc so I removed the established machine. Does anyone have a link to a guide that will direct me to performing this task? I hope to be able to start Ubuntu from my desktop without a disc or dual booting, if possible. Thank you Peter
Hi Rich The guide told me my pc should look like the guide did, but did not. I cannot recall the specific juncture where it occured. I want to re-read your post when I have time and see what I can do. Thank you for the help. Peter
The key to installing something is to point the pseudo optical drive (CD/DVD) at the Ubuntu .iso file then boot. That starts the Ubuntu install in the VBox virtual machine. I can post a series of screen shots of what I did to install Linux Mint 11 which is based on Ubuntu if that would help. There are 12 of them all together, or I can send them to your E-mail if there is no interest here for other folks. I'll post just 4 for now, the ones that show how to setup the CD/DVD drive toi load from the .iso file. Rats, can't upload, out of room. I've asked if we can get an increase in storage for team members. Hopefully soon.
It is coincidental that you point out the (cd/dvd) because that is where their directions and my pc parted ways. They said you will see….. but I did not see what they said I should. Not having ever tried this, I had no idea where to go.
No, virtual hard disks are not virtual machines. They can be used by VMs in some cases if your computer has the right capability. MIne doesn't. You need ti do a lot or reading on VHDs then come back and ask questions.

No, virtual hard disks are not virtual machines. They can be used by VMs in some cases if your computer has the right capability. MIne doesn't.

You need ti do a lot or reading on VHDs then come back and ask questions.



>>I won't pester and will do on my own but one question;
Is the VM supposed to be an installed program you have to remove from uninstall if you do not want it .
I noticed when Iinstalled Oraclre's Vm I had to use Revo to remove it.

I've uninstalled Oracle VB via Control Panel / Programs and Features. I have not had to use Revo on my WIn 7 Pro X64 system yet.



..I see. So it is an installed program;I thought you always used Revo so there would be a cleaner removal but guess I am wrong.
I found a good tutorial and will let you know how I do. Thanx again. Peter

And …. what do you think of Linux? I find it lacking. Maybe just because it's different.



>>It was a challenge that I enjoyed and a learning experience.
I am exploring it at present.
I have used Windows so long that this is a new shoe which needs some time.
I do have a feeling you do get what you pay for. Old sayins persist for a good reqson and may be applicable here.
I have an immediate incompatibility in that my web cam won't turn off while Ubuntu is running so I turn it off via Windows control panel -awkward.
Skype too is free and the support at each is very limited.
I would think experienced users like yourself would be frustrated trying to get something done in a timely manner.
Being in the VM is a comfort from a security point of view.
My head still cannot wrap around this new technology which insists that I am using something that doesn't exist. :unsure:
I am going to force myself to do everything with it for a week then see how I feel.
I worked with Linux for 5 years before I retired amd it was fun, but I never liked it or thought of it as a mainstream operating system. Great for servers though.

I worked with Linux for 5 years before I retired amd it was fun, but I never liked it or thought of it as a mainstream operating system. Great for servers though.




>>You certainly have the experience. I think your description was on the mark and the conclusion I will lean to.
Do you have it directly installed or in with a VM?

Do you ever find a use for it now?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI