This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

too long to boot - set up screen appears [Solved]

36 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

Glad things are running better. :)

where do these game adwares come from?

It's hard to really say where people pick them up from. It could really be from anywhere unfortunately…safe internet surfing is your best bet to keep your system clean though.

Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt
  • Please post the contents of that document.
Morning!

I ran the security check - here is the results:

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.43
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is enabled)
Internet Explorer 9
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Security Center service is not running! This report may not be accurate!
Windows Firewall Enabled!
WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.62.0.1300
Java™ 6 Update 31
Java version out of Date!
Adobe Reader X (10.1.3)
Mozilla Firefox (14.0.1)
Google Chrome 20.0.1132.47
Google Chrome 20.0.1132.57
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
Trend Micro Internet Security SfCtlCom.exe
Trend Micro Internet Security TmProxy.exe
Trend Micro Internet Security UfSeAgnt.exe
Trend Micro BM TMBMSRV.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 7%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````


dar
Hi,

Sorry for any delay…I was having technical problems on my system.
———–

Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.
  • Make sure the following options are checked:
    • Internet Services
    • Windows Firewall
    • System Restore
    • Security Center
    • Windows Update
    • Windows Defender
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.
———-

I see that your Java software is out of date. Please go to Start >> Control Panel >> Programs and Features >> delete all versions of Java.

Now download and install the newest version from here
————-

Hi,

Sorry for any delay…I was having technical problems on my system.
———–

Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.

  • Make sure the following options are checked:
    • Internet Services
    • Windows Firewall
    • System Restore
    • Security Center
    • Windows Update
    • Windows Defender
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.
———-

I see that your Java software is out of date. Please go to Start >> Control Panel >> Programs and Features >> delete all versions of Java.

Now download and install the newest version from here
————-


Jeff

sorry to hear even you guys have trouble!!! Ran the FSS here is the log:

Farbar Service Scanner Version: 22-07-2012
Ran by [removed] (administrator) on 22-07-2012 at 19:35:20
Running from "C:\Users\DARLENE'S\Desktop"
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal
****************************************************************

Internet Services:
============

Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
LAN connected.
Google IP is accessible.
Google.com is accessible.
Yahoo IP is accessible.
Yahoo.com is accessible.


Windows Firewall:
=============

Firewall Disabled Policy:
==================


System Restore:
============

System Restore Disabled Policy:
========================


Action Center:
============
wscsvc Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of wscsvc service is OK.
The ImagePath of wscsvc service is OK.
The ServiceDll of wscsvc service is OK.


Windows Update:
============

Windows Autoupdate Disabled Policy:
============================


Windows Defender:
==============
WinDefend Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of WinDefend service is set to Demand. The default start type is Auto.
The ImagePath of WinDefend service is OK.
The ServiceDll of WinDefend service is OK.


Windows Defender Disabled Policy:
==========================
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
"DisableAntiSpyware"=DWORD:1


Other Services:
==============

sharedaccess Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of sharedaccess service is set to Auto
The ImagePath of sharedaccess service is OK.
The ServiceDll of sharedaccess service is OK.


File Check:
========
C:\Windows\System32\nsisvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nsiproxy.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\dhcpcore.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\afd.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\tdx.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\tcpip.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\dnsrslvr.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\mpssvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\bfe.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mpsdrv.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\SDRSVC.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\vssvc.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\wscsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\qmgr.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\es.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\cryptsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpSvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\rpcss.dll => MD5 is legit


**** End of log ****

will do the java thingy.

dar

Hi,

Sorry for any delay…I was having technical problems on my system.
———–

Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.

  • Make sure the following options are checked:
    • Internet Services
    • Windows Firewall
    • System Restore
    • Security Center
    • Windows Update
    • Windows Defender
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.
———-

I see that your Java software is out of date. Please go to Start >> Control Panel >> Programs and Features >> delete all versions of Java.

Now download and install the newest version from here
————-


Jeff - I hope your computer problems are resolved…….

I deleted and downloaded java.

What is next?

Dar
Jeff Everything seems to be OK - I am happy. I did try to print to our wireless printer, and a firewall alert came up and I gave permission to access the printer. That was new, only seen it once. It popped up on some other software, can't recall what it was now….so that is also new. Only happened twice so far and all is well. I looked into malwarebytes quarantine and all the files I deleted are in there. Is it safe to leave them alone there as well as the ones in quarantine in Trend Micro? I just feel so paranoid that at any moment some nasty virus/trojan is going to ruin my paradise here in laptop land……. all is well as of 9:22pm EST!! Thank you again for your help - you have been wonderful! Dar
Hi, Good to hear. Sounds like your printer just needed to be added to the exceptions for your firewall. That is just fine. Go ahead and give it a good run around now like you normally would tonight and if still working well tomorrow we will clean up our tools and you will be done. :)

Still with me?


Hi Jeff!!

Yah, I'm still here - you said to use it as normal..and I have! She boots up just fine - no more long, drawn out boot ups!! No more Trend Micro warnings about Trojans or viruses. When Trend runs, it finds a few cookies to delete. Things are back to normal I'd say! A big thank you for help! YOU were wonderful!

I still have quarantined trojans in malwarebytes and trend - these bother me. I want them light years away from me. I think the idiots that invent and disperse these trojans and viruses should be taken out back and shot. Do I hear an AMEN?

So what is next?

Dar

Do I hear an AMEN?

:lol:
——-

Once you are done with the following, if there are any items remaining in your quarantine folders you can remove them.
———-

Providing there are no other malware related problems…

IT APPEARS THAT YOUR LOGS ARE NOW CLEAN :D SO LETS DO A COUPLE OF THINGS TO WRAP THIS UP!! :D

This infection appears to have been cleaned, but I can not give you any absolute guarantees. As a precaution, I would go ahead and change all of your passwords as this is especially important after an infection.
———-

The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Click Start > Run and copy/paste the following text into the Run box as shown and click OK.
Combofix /Uninstall
(Note: There is a space between the ..X and the /U that needs to be there.)

[external image: Posted Image]
———-

Clean up with OTL:
  • Right-click and Run as Administrator OTL.exe to start the program.
  • Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot
  • On the OTL main screen, press the CLEANUP button
  • Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.
———-

Any of the logs that you created for use in the forums or remaining tools that have not yet been removed can be deleted so they aren't cluttering up your desktop.
If you didn't already have it I would keep Malwarebytes AntiMalware though.


Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:

1. Internet Explorer. Even if you don't use it as your main browser it should be kept up-to-date because that is the browser Windows uses for updates.
Make your Internet Explorer more secure
- This can be done by following these simple instructions:
  • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  • Click once on the Security tab
  • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  • Click once on the Custom Level button.
  • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
  • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
  • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
  • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
  • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
  • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
  • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
  • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
  • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
2. Enable Protected Mode in Internet Explorer. This helps Windows Vista users stay more protected from attack by running Internet Explorer with restricted privileges as well as reducing the ability to write, alter or destroy data on your system or install malicious code. To make sure this is running follow these steps:
  • Open Internet Explorer
  • Click on Tools > Internet Options
  • Press Security tab
  • Select Internet zone then place check next to Enable Protected Mode if not already done
  • Do the same for Local Intranet, Trusted Sites and Restricted Sites and then press Apply
  • Restart Internet Explorer and in the bottom right corner of your screen you will see Protected Mode: On showing you it is enabled.
3. Use and update an anti-virus software - I can not overemphasize the need for you to use and update your anti-virus application on a regular basis. With the ever increasing number of new variants of malware arriving on the scene daily, you become very susceptible to an attack without updated protection.

4. Firewall
Using a third-party firewall will allow you to give/deny access for applications that want to go online. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. A tutorial on firewalls can be found here. **There are firewalls listed in this tutorial that could be downloaded and used but I would personally only recommend using one of the following two below:
Online Armor Free
Agnitum Outpost Firewall Free

5. Make sure you keep your Windows OS current. Windows XP users can visit Windows update regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. Windows Vista/7 users can open the Start menu > All Programs > Windows Update > Check for Updates (in left hand task pane) to update these systems. Without these you are leaving the back door open.

6. WOT (Web of Trust) As "Googling" is such an integral part of internet life, this free browser add on warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. It is especially helpful when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites. WOT has an add-on available for Firefox, Internet Explorer as well as Google Chrome.

7.Finally, I strongly recommend that you read TonyKlein's good advice So how did I get infected in the first place?

Please reply to this thread once more if you are satisfied so that we can mark the problem as resolved.
Jeff - wow! that is a lot to do!! I won't have time to do this tonight, it's 9pm, EST. Tomorrow we have a meeting to go to, and the laptop goes with me there. Friday night is not a good time either….so, that leaves the weekend. We are supposed to have a ride with the bike club to Lake Chautauqau (Jamestown, NY) from Pittsburgh - if it doesn't rain!!! That leaves Sunday. So if all goes well, I can run thru all this Sunday, between loads of laundry and 3 newsletters I do monthly! Whew! What a busy weekend I'll have! I'll follow your instructions BEFORE I work on the newsletters. Once I start those, I don't stop! is that ok? i see there is a 3 day time limit - so I may stretch that a bit here with my schedule. I do have a question about my husbands pc upstairs. he uses Kaspersky for his anti virus software. He has a trojan in his quarantine, it's status says INACTIVE. Is this trojan just waiting for something to come along to trigger it? Makes me nervous! Dar
Hi, Don't worry about the time frame. You just let me know so I can keep it open…no problem. :) Just PM me if I overlook your new response. If you need help with your husband's system you can start a new thread and we can look that over as well. :) It would be hard for me to say either way whether or not it is "safe".
Jeff Well…..we got rained out big time….spent the day catching up on chores, then following your last set of directions. 1. I was unable to run combofix /Uninstall - windows could not find it. I guess this was done earlier then? 2. OTL Cleanup was run. 3. Internet Explorer - Tools - Options - most was already checked - could not find "Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt." Just was not there. 4. Change the "Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt" - was not there - it was without "sub-frames" and Prompt was already selected. 5. Protected Mode was already checked. 6. Trend Micro gets updated automatically every day it seems. 7. Windows Updates always!!! 8. WOT - excellent! I downloaded it and am using it! 9. Firewall - downloaded Online Armor Free - seems it's a 30 day free trial - have no idea of the cost here…will find out soon enough I bet! when Trend runs it finds 2 cookies and deletes them. Even tho I have trend set to run nightly at 9:30pm - it does not do it nightly…why not? Dar 7.

Even tho I have trend set to run nightly at 9:30pm - it does not do it nightly…why not?

I am not quite sure about that. I have never used it. I can do some digging and get back to you though. :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI