Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal
Trojan:JS/IframeRef [Solved]
19 min read
lolly
And a few quick questions because if I don't ask them, I might burst:
Should I be changing passwords of email addresses etc that I accessed on this computer?
Is there any way of knowing how long my computer has been infected?
Would it be worth getting the full version of MWB so it has realtime monitoring - or is the free version enough?
jeffce
Hi,
That all looks much better.
How about you let the system run tonight and get back with me in the morning about how it's running.
That all looks much better.
It never hurts to go ahead and change it anyway.Should I be changing passwords of email addresses etc that I accessed on this computer?
No it is really hard to say unfortunately. Sorry.Is there any way of knowing how long my computer has been infected?
I have the paid version and I like it but in my opinion I think that the free version is just fine.Would it be worth getting the full version of MWB so it has realtime monitoring - or is the free version enough?
How about you let the system run tonight and get back with me in the morning about how it's running.
lolly
Hi again. I think that it seems to be going okay. It still has that there is a program running when I try to shut down and I have to wait for it to finish, but there's nothing listed. But does it look like it's pretty much cleared up? Is there anything else I should run to make sure?
Also, just being paranoid (
)…when I check Task Manager, there are a lot of processes that are listed as Stopped (some LocalService, some LocalServiceandNoImpersonation, some LocalServiceNetworkRestricted, some netsvcs) and there are two rundll32.exes. Are these okay? 
Also, just being paranoid (
jeffce
Hi,
Are you able to take a screen shot of what you are seeing?when I check Task Manager, there are a lot of processes that are listed as Stopped (some LocalService, some LocalServiceandNoImpersonation, some LocalServiceNetworkRestricted, some netsvcs) and there are two rundll32.exes. Are these okay?
lolly
Oops, they are Services, not Processes. This is some of them - I took a random screenshot that included the types I was talking about.
Screenshot_6July_10pm.png
Sorry this is turning into a bit of a saga! Thanks for your patience 
jeffce
Hi,
Those don't look to be bad. How is your system running? The logs are looking good. 
lolly
Oh good, that's comforting :). Yes, it seems to be running well (but I hadn't noticed any symptoms before the scan).
Should I run anything else or is it pretty much there? 
jeffce
Hi,
No that should about cover it.
Providing there are no other malware related problems…
IT APPEARS THAT YOUR LOGS ARE NOW CLEAN
SO LETS DO A COUPLE OF THINGS TO WRAP THIS UP!! 
This infection appears to have been cleaned, but I can not give you any absolute guarantees. As a precaution, I would go ahead and change all of your passwords as this is especially important after an infection.
———-
Clean up with OTL:
Any of the logs that you created for use in the forums or remaining tools that have not yet been removed can be deleted so they aren't cluttering up your desktop.
If you didn't already have it I would keep Malwarebytes AntiMalware though.
Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:
1. Internet Explorer. Even if you don't use it as your main browser it should be kept up-to-date because that is the browser Windows uses for updates.
Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
4. Firewall
Using a third-party firewall will allow you to give/deny access for applications that want to go online. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. A tutorial on firewalls can be found here. **There are firewalls listed in this tutorial that could be downloaded and used but I would personally only recommend using one of the following two below:
Online Armor Free
Agnitum Outpost Firewall Free
5. Make sure you keep your Windows OS current. Windows XP users can visit Windows update regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. Windows Vista/7 users can open the Start menu > All Programs > Windows Update > Check for Updates (in left hand task pane) to update these systems. Without these you are leaving the back door open.
6. WOT (Web of Trust) As "Googling" is such an integral part of internet life, this free browser add on warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. It is especially helpful when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites. WOT has an add-on available for Firefox, Internet Explorer as well as Google Chrome.
7.Finally, I strongly recommend that you read TonyKlein's good advice So how did I get infected in the first place?
Please reply to this thread once more if you are satisfied so that we can mark the problem as resolved.
No that should about cover it.
Providing there are no other malware related problems…
IT APPEARS THAT YOUR LOGS ARE NOW CLEAN
This infection appears to have been cleaned, but I can not give you any absolute guarantees. As a precaution, I would go ahead and change all of your passwords as this is especially important after an infection.
———-
Clean up with OTL:
- Right-click and Run as Administrator OTL.exe to start the program.
- Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot
- On the OTL main screen, press the CLEANUP button
- Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.
Any of the logs that you created for use in the forums or remaining tools that have not yet been removed can be deleted so they aren't cluttering up your desktop.
If you didn't already have it I would keep Malwarebytes AntiMalware though.
Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:
1. Internet Explorer. Even if you don't use it as your main browser it should be kept up-to-date because that is the browser Windows uses for updates.
Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
- From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
- Click once on the Security tab
- Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
- Click once on the Custom Level button.
- Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
- Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
- Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
- Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
- Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
- Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
- When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
- If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
- Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click on Tools > Internet Options
- Press Security tab
- Select Internet zone then place check next to Enable Protected Mode if not already done
- Do the same for Local Intranet, Trusted Sites and Restricted Sites and then press Apply
- Restart Internet Explorer and in the bottom right corner of your screen you will see Protected Mode: On showing you it is enabled.
4. Firewall
Using a third-party firewall will allow you to give/deny access for applications that want to go online. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. A tutorial on firewalls can be found here. **There are firewalls listed in this tutorial that could be downloaded and used but I would personally only recommend using one of the following two below:
Online Armor Free
Agnitum Outpost Firewall Free
5. Make sure you keep your Windows OS current. Windows XP users can visit Windows update regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. Windows Vista/7 users can open the Start menu > All Programs > Windows Update > Check for Updates (in left hand task pane) to update these systems. Without these you are leaving the back door open.
6. WOT (Web of Trust) As "Googling" is such an integral part of internet life, this free browser add on warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. It is especially helpful when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites. WOT has an add-on available for Firefox, Internet Explorer as well as Google Chrome.
7.Finally, I strongly recommend that you read TonyKlein's good advice So how did I get infected in the first place?
Please reply to this thread once more if you are satisfied so that we can mark the problem as resolved.
lolly
Oh, while I remember, is it likely that any of the scans (or even the IT guy who looked at it) might have turned off my browsers' ability to remember passwords. I tell some sites to remember my password and it used to work, but now they ask me each time. Not a problem, just checking.
lolly
Yes. Very satisfied.
Thank you so much for all the time you've put into this. I really appreciate it.
Thank you so much for all the time you've put into this. I really appreciate it.
jeffce
You are more than welcome. I am glad that I could help. 
jeffce
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.
If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.
Everyone else please follow the instructions here http://forums.whatthetech.com/you_Infected_t106388.html
and start a New Topic.
If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.
Everyone else please follow the instructions here http://forums.whatthetech.com/you_Infected_t106388.html
and start a New Topic.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI