Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Firefox can't find the server at......error

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

That is a "combination modem-router" contained in the same box. While I don't much like them myself, they are often sold by the ISP to the owner/user when first subscribing to BroadBand service. Here in the States, "2-Wire" is a common brand name of combination modem-router offered by AT&T. Did you receive that modem-router from the ISP or did you purchase it independently? What brand name and model number is it? _______________ Apparently from your prior post stating that you are having difficulty accessing pages when searching via Google, that means that you are now able to gain access to the Internet. Right? Routers do get corrupted. Modems do get corrupted. Most often such corruption can be cleared by "resetting" and reinstalling the modem and router settings. Doing so can be frustrating because you may not be familiar with the serial number information required to activate the modem, and you may have set up the router a long time ago and not still be familiar with the settings required when setting it up. I'd suggest you contact your ISP and ask their Tech Support to walk you through freshly setting up your modem-router. As to the ADSL v DSL -- it is a non-issue. both refer to types of broadband dsl connection, but should not impact your present difficulty.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#32 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

Hi Doug,

I wrote a more comprehensive answer to your question last night but I accidentally closed the tab. Ooops
So here goes again.

I had to buy the modem/router myself as the the only bit of hardware which was provided by my ISP was a USB modem which was over 10 years ago, and is consequently out-of-date. So I bought my self a NETGEAR DGN2000 Modem/Router as the ones my ISP are selling are ugly lol

I have always had connection to the internet & searching has been done through Googles search box via the browser/s. Does that makes sense?
The Router came with a Setup CD but it never managed to progress past a certain stage. I may try again.
The ISP Techies or script reading robots as I like to call them, tell me that my router isn't a supported device; although this directly contradicts what it says on their website: http://help.talktalk...etail/a_id/1368 (my router is the third from bottom left).

So I'm not sure if I want to waste my time, money & sanity talking to them again.

Nice to hear from you & thanks for your suggestions

Edited by manicd, 07 August 2012 - 03:48 PM.

#33 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

Hi manicd, As I'm in the same part of the world as you, I thought I would drop in and see if I can help. However before we can get started I need you to put me in the picture on exactly the issues you are experiencing...if you are agreeable please advise me on the following: 1 Make and model of computer, and if its a laptop 2 Are you trying to connect to the Internet wirelessly or wired via an Ethernet cable? 3 Can you connect to the Internet at all at the moment on the computer concerned? 3 Can you read your emails OK 4 If you send yourself an email does it get transmitted Ok and in a minute of two do you receive it in your Inbox? 5 Do you receive any error messages (I have seen the ones you took screen dumps of and pasted here...)but any others? NB those errors you posted indicated that your esset firewall was blocking incoming traffic from the Internet. 6 Please use Internet Explorer and visit www.bbc.co.uk...do you see the dear old BEEB? 7 Are you connected to the BT master socket in your property? (the master socket is generally the first one in the property that comes in from the street or telephone pole) 8 Next is a hands and knees job I'm afraid..... look closely at the plastic front of the BT master socket, does it have a horizontal line moulded into the plastic? 9 If it does, then remove the 2 screws from the faceplate and very gently pull out the face plate by an inch or so...gently!.... you will find a BT test socket in the part that remains attached to wall...connect a telephone cable from your router directly into your microfilter and the short lead from the microfilter directly into the BT test socket and see if there is any improvement. 10 If you find you can now connect to the Internet vusing Internet explorer please visit www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk and test you speed. report back with the download and upload figures together with the above answers and we'll take it from there. Incidentally if you find that Talk Talk technical broadband support are not being helpful then tell them you are entitled to a free router/modem as a long standing customer if you agree to have them as your ISP for a 12 month or 18 month period...then they should send you one ..... you can also ask them to escalate your ticket to level 2 support... ( That way you get to speak to a technician not a script reader.... Don't give up..... there's lots of stuff we will need to have you check...... but I guess thats enough to be going on with! Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#34 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

Hi Paws, how's it going?

1 Make and model of computer, and if its a laptop
It's an ACER Aspire 7730 Laptop running Windows Vista Home Basic
2 Are you trying to connect to the Internet wirelessly or wired via an Ethernet cable?
Ethernet Cable
3 Can you connect to the Internet at all at the moment on the computer concerned?
Yes
3 Can you read your emails OK
Yes, but I don't use outlook for example
4 If you send yourself an email does it get transmitted Ok and in a minute of two do you receive it in your Inbox?
n/a
5 Do you receive any error messages (I have seen the ones you took screen dumps of and pasted here...)but any others?
NB those errors you posted indicated that your eset firewall was blocking incoming traffic from the Internet.
No, just those.
6 Please use Internet Explorer and visit www.bbc.co.uk...do you see the dear old BEEB?
Haha! Yes, I can view 'Aunty's' website fine
7 Are you connected to the BT master socket in your property? (the master socket is generally the first one in the property that comes in from the street or telephone pole)
Yes
8 Next is a hands and knees job I'm afraid..... look closely at the plastic front of the BT master socket, does it have a horizontal line moulded into the plastic?
Yes, it's an NTE5
9 If it does, then remove the 2 screws from the faceplate and very gently pull out the face plate by an inch or so...gently!.... you will find a BT test socket in the part that remains attached to wall...connect a telephone cable from your router directly into your microfilter and the short lead from the microfilter directly into the BT test socket and see if there is any improvement.
There has been an improvement, but the error has still occurred several times using Firefox. New Faceplate?
10 If you find you can now connect to the Internet vusing Internet explorer please visit www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk and test you speed. report back with the download and upload figures together with the above answers and we'll take it from there.
Posted Image

Incidentally if you find that Talk Talk technical broadband support are not being helpful then tell them you are entitled to a free router/modem as a long standing customer if you agree to have them as your ISP for a 12 month or 18 month period...then they should send you one ..... you can also ask them to escalate your ticket to level 2 support... ( That way you get to speak to a technician not a script reader....

Would the entitlement of a Router be on the premise of subscribing for a further 12/18 month period?
Thanks for the tips & encouragement.

Edited by manicd, 10 August 2012 - 01:34 PM.

#35 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

Hi manicd
Thanks for the responses..its all looking good so far!
but I didn't quite understand your response here:

4 If you send yourself an email does it get transmitted Ok and in a minute of two do you receive it in your Inbox?
n/a

if you cant email yourself or it gets sent but doesn't get received then I do need to know....do you think you could try this again please..( it doesn't matter if you use an email client or webmail... I just need to know if it works....

Finally can you please run this from a command prompt:
cmd /c "ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping bbc.co.uk >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt & del postme.txt"
Note please use "copy and paste" (Ctrl+c and Ctrl+v) for this as it will automatically make sure you get the spaces correct!
Please copy and paste the output into your reply.
If you are running Vista or 7 you will need to right click the command prompt and run as Administrator.

Would the entitlement of a Router be on the premise of subscribing for a further 12/18 month period?

Yes that's how it works unless you can sweet talk them into sending you one! ( based upon your past association with them....
Incidentally the speed test was fine about what I would have expected from a copper wire based system.....(fibre optic cables allow much faster speeds)
Finally have you tried uninstalling Firefox rebooting and then installing it again... or just use internet Explorer or another browser instead?
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#36 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

Hi Paws,

Yes, I can email myself using Hotmail.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Dan-PC
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : 
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 5100
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-5D-53-3D-36
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-8B-0A-09-5C
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a58a:6e4a:42fe:bce2%10(Preferred) 
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2(Preferred) 
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 10 August 2012 19:14:35
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 11 August 2012 19:14:35
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201334376
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-17-AA-48-EC-00-23-8B-0A-09-5C
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{8193C5E4-2948-4581-B76A-E7CA61CBEF55}
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{6D1BAFBA-2E42-4BF5-8DF9-8C3CC90677F6}
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.241.131] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.58.241.131: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=243

Reply from 212.58.241.131: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=243

Reply from 212.58.241.131: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=243

Reply from 212.58.241.131: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 212.58.241.131:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 28ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 28ms

I also pinged my router if that's any good.

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
	Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
	Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 1ms

I have also tried what you've suggested in regards to Firefox & using an alternative browser in this case I.E.

Kind Regards

Edited by manicd, 10 August 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#37 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

Hi Manicd, That all looks Ok :thumbup: If you are still getting an error with Firefox not being able to find the server then its likely a problem with Firefox Try the uninstalland then a reinstall of Firefox and let us know if this does the trick...or just use Internet Explorer... Regards paws

#38 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:30 PM

Hiya,

I reinstalled Firefox but I am still getting the error. I then received this error again

Firefox_is_Crap.jpg

Restarting my computer seemed to have solved it last time. So I restarted my computer again and in my frustration, before everything could load I clicked on Firefox & received another error message:

Root_Certs.jpg

Ahhh what is going on! :angry: :angry:

I did some further research on the server not found issue & now believe it could be related to my router

https://bugzilla.moz...g.cgi?id=506588

http://forum1.netgea...ead.php?t=39270

https://bugzilla.moz...g.cgi?id=475603

I'm not quite sure what to do anymore & I can't bring myself to use I.E (problems aside).
:Sigh:

#39 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

Try SeaMonkey, it's what FireFox should be. It's where Netscape and Mozilla went when Firefox and Thu8nderbird began. It's what I use all the time.

You can run it along side Firefox and it will import your Firefox data if you want.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#40 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:13 AM

Hi manicd.
As well as Rich's excellent suggestion, can you let us know what version of Firefox you are running?
Also have you tried a hard reset of your router (paperclip in the tiny hole etc...?)

You may have to reinput some settings to your router if you do the hard reset so make sure you can use someonels's router at their place to download the instructions if you need to (or have the router instructions handy)

Here's a lttle file that I got from Jaycee, you could run that and it will flush your dns cache and also a few other things as well..... its worth trying.

Copy and paste these lines in Note pad.

@Echo on
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0

Save as flush.bat to your desktop.
Double click on the flush.bat file to run it. Your computer will reboot itself when its run ( just a few seconds) and then the file will auto delete itself.
Finally the screen dumpt you put in your last post is what you get if you click to open Firefox before everything has loaded.....

The only other time I have seen your original Firefox error in computers coming into the workshop has been when Firefox starts to use the Internet (or try to) before the Internet connection has been secured and authenication completed..... trying again after a few seconds by pressing F5 did the trick....
Regards
paws
Regards
paws

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#41 PattiChati

PattiChati

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

My Firefox and yahoo look completely different, like they are from the dark ages. No matter what I do, it doesn't change. It doesn't have spam or write new message or the colorful purple top of mark this message as unread, nothing at all like this. I have used ff a long time and have never had this. Anyone have any ideas what to do? It even took me a while to find this page back. Thanks.

#42 PattiChati

PattiChati

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

Is there a way to post a screenshot on here so I could show you what my screen looks like? I am so novice at this and when I am reading the other posts, I just want to cry. I have no idea what you are talking about. Someone take over my computer and fix it, ok? Someone in Windows 7 did that once, but they won't allow me back in there.

#43 PattiChati

PattiChati

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

http://us.mg5.mail.y...d=28fvea823ij1fyahoo not looking right

#44 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

PattiChati,

Please post your questions and concerns in your own Topic thread, here:
http://forums.whatth...howtopic=124038

This Topic Thread was opened by ManicD and is related to problems he has been having with his own machine.
The suggested fixes and solutions are appropriate to his machine and problem.

Your own problem may be "similar" but it is more likely that "other issues" are involved.

By posting your own information, only in your own Topic Thread, you will increase the likelihood that any responses received will be relevant to your own problem situation.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#45 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

Hi,

I know this is very late in the day to mention this, but the problem doesn’t seem to be occurring when connected to my Router wirelessly. :blush:
Would this suggest a damaged cable? I feel that I've wasted everybody’s time.

EDIT: Sorry it's still happening....just not as frequently.

Edited by manicd, 16 August 2012 - 01:44 PM.