Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

The specified service does not exist as an installed service. [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#16 TechieRanger

TechieRanger

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for the information :)

Please do not try running any programs on your own. Please only try running those that I request, but it is nice to know that some tools can run. :thumbup:

Could you check whether or not you are able to connect to the internet using Internet Explorer while in Safe Mode with Networking?

You could post the FSS and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware logs if possible. B)

Next

Restoring Windows Vista to a Previous Point

Let's try to restore your system to a previous point (one before any recent Windows or McAfee updates). Please follow the instructions given in the following tutorial to do so:

http://www.bleepingc...-guide/#restore

You should choose a restore point that was created before your "The specified service does not exist as an installed service" problem started to occur.

Regards,

Richard :wavey:
Posted Image
Richard
Proud Graduate of WTT Classroom

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Jessica-Jean

Jessica-Jean

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

When I click on System Restore, I get a pop-up alright, but it's not the right one. It says,"C\Windows\System32\rstrui.exe The specified service does not exist as an installed service."

When I hover the cursor over the icon for connecting to the Internet, I get the same bedamned sentence! When I right-click on it, and try to connect to a network,
When I right-click and choose Connect to a network, it shows that I am :connected with limited access", and it will not open the Network and Sharing Center at all. Since I'm online through the same wireless network, I know the network is working fine. The problem is the sick computer.

Hmm ... From the bottom of the Connect to a Network box, I was able to open the Network and Sharing Center, but instead of the usual pictogram (house to router to Internet), there is just that same blasted sentence again .:(

Any other ideas?

#18 TechieRanger

TechieRanger

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:03 PM

While in Safe Mode with Networking, did you try the following? :unsure:

Start the Internet Explorer browser by pressing Start > Right-Click Internet Explorer and select Run As Administrator

then try returning to this topic.

Regards,

Posted Image
Richard

#19 Jessica-Jean

Jessica-Jean

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

OK. In Safe Mode with Networking: There is a red circle with a white 'X' on the speaker icon, and the message " The audio service is not running" shows when I hover the cursor on it. There is a red 'X' on the internet connection icon.Left click = Connection status: unknown The specified service does not exist as an installed service. Right click > Connect to a network = Connected with limited access. (Since I'm on the network on another computer, the network is up and working.) Start > Internet Explorer > Run as administrator = Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. Since I can't send anything from the sick computer, is there an e-mail (throwaway) to which I could send the photos of the FSS log? Next idea?

#20 TechieRanger

TechieRanger

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

You could upload the photos of your FSS and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware logs to MediaFire and then post the download link in your reply. ^_^

Do you have your Windows Vista DVD around? :)

Restoring to a Previous Point from the Vista Windows Recovery Environment

Let's try to restore your system to a previous point (one before any recent Windows or McAfee updates). Please follow the steps in the following tutorial to use System Restore from the Vista Windows Recovery Environment:

http://www.bleepingc...ry-environment/

You should choose a restore point that was created before your "The specified service does not exist as an installed service" problem started to occur.

I do have some other ideas if that doesn't work. :thumbup:

Regards,

Posted Image
Richard

#21 Jessica-Jean

Jessica-Jean

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

If a recovery disc came with the computer or if I made one, I do not have it. However, my darling son handed me his Vista recovery disc.

So, I put it in and restarted the machine. Instead of the screen saying "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", it just opened as usual, albeit very slowly. However, the blasted machine does 'see' that there is a disc inserted and it even allows me to open it and look at the files. Those are: boot, efi, sources, support, upgrade, aurorun, bootmgr, bootmgr.efi, and setup. Is there somethihg there I can use?

OH! I got it! I hit F12 to get it to boot from the DVD!!! ... :(
When I get to the System Recovery Options, there are no Operating Systems listed. When I click on Load Drivers ... I get a pop-up saying to OK to select the driver.insert the installation media for the device and click OK to select the driver. So, I removed and re-inserted the DVD and clicked on OK. That got me another pop-up .... Look in: sources. Files of type: Setup Information. My choices are:
6.0.6000.16386_amd64
dimanifests
inf
recovery
servicingstackmisc
osfilter
sfpat2k
sfpatxp
adprep
en-US
license
servicing
spinstall
sfpat\sfpatlh
upgcompat

I've tried 'opening' a ton of folders and sub-folders; they ALL end up "No items match your search." Aargh! :pullhair:

So, back to the blank pop-up and click on next anyway.
NOW, I get a different System Recovery Options pop-up. ...and click on System Restore ... though where it's intending to restore from is anyone's guess.
I get a pop-up entitled System Restore, and it says
"To perform an offline System Restore, you must specify which Windowns installation you would like to restore.
For example, if the installation located in "C:\Windows" should be restored, enter the following command:
rstrui.exe/OFFLINE:C:\Windowns

Just where am I supposed to "enter" that (or any other) command? I never studied programming, though I'm beginning to think I should have. Is 66 too late to begin?

I've hit a dead end.

Back to the beginning.
Restart.
F12
Please select boot device:
I choose: CD/DVD: 3S-HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH15F
I hear noise from the disc.
I watch the green 'progress' bars forever!
Black screen.
Welcome on blue screen.
Black screen with mouse pointer in the middle.
More disc motion noises. Or maybe I'm just imagining them?

Now, I have my usual desktop (background and icons) but there's a Microsoft Windows pop-up:
Acer Empowering Technology Framework Launcher has stopped working
Problem details
Description: Stopped working
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: KSEPG0E4UHHWRU1JABVDT2H29FOWKTUU
Problem Signature 02: 2.5.4301.0
Problem Signature 03: 4784a54e
Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4ef6ca5e
Problem Signature 07: 41c2
Problem Signature 08: 27
Problem Signature 09: System.Runtime.Remoting.Remoting
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

I have no idea if all of that makes any sense to you at all. It's total gibberish to me! I don't remember getting that pop-up back when the computer was working. Could that be the root of the problem??

Back to trying to boot from the disc - I've got the disc open to 'boot', but I'm scared to click on anything! These are the choices:
en-us
fonts
bcd
boot.sdi
bootfix.bin
bootsect
etfsboot
memtest,efi
memtest

Yeah - memtest ... I need a test of my own memory!

I'll try later this eveing to put those photos of the logs onto that Media Fire thingy.

For now, my eyes need a break; none of those pop-ups seem to be enlargable. My eyes are crossed!

Thank you.

#22 Jessica-Jean

Jessica-Jean

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

:woot: I finally figured out how to use Media Fire!! Download links: http://www.mediafire...5h3rd6tv0yojiqj http://www.mediafire...21q8u8qlcog5as3

I sure hope it helps you help me!

Thank you! Especially, thank you for pointing me towards Media File!!

Edited by Jessica-Jean, 26 June 2012 - 09:18 AM.

#23 TechieRanger

TechieRanger

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for the information :) Are you able to open McAfee by right-clicking on McAfee and selecting Run As Administrator either in Safe Mode with Networking or normal mode? Regards, Richard :wavey:
Posted Image
Richard

#24 TechieRanger

TechieRanger

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:28 AM

I think some Windows service(s) could be missing. :)

Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista

Let's try to perform a repair installation of Windows Vista. Please follow the steps in the following tutorial:

http://support.micro....com/kb/2255099

This leaves your personal data and programs alone, but will reinstall all Windows components and re-register all services. You will need to install any updates not included on the Windows Vista DVD afterwards.

Regards,

Posted Image
Richard

#25 Jessica-Jean

Jessica-Jean

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

I did the McAfee full scan while in Safe Mode with Networking,
Results:

Full Scan Complete
McAfee did not detect any issues on your PC.
No further action is required.

No Issues Detected
During you scan, Mcafee did not detect any viruses, spyware, or other threats.

Scan Summary
Total: 431030
Files; 421944
Cookies: 577
Processes: 21
Registry items: 8466
Boot records: 2

However, Real-Time Scanning is OFF, and I am unable to turn it ON. I click on On, and it goes on just long enough for me to see, then it goes back to off.

I cannot try to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista at this moment. I will try it as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 Jessica-Jean

Jessica-Jean

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

From that website you said:

Note If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps: A.Click Start, and then type Drive:\setup.exe in the Start Search box.

Note The Drive placeholder is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.
?? I don't understand "Drive placeholder".

I tried typing into the search box:
DriveE:\setup.exe
Drive(E):\setup.exe
Drive(E:)\setup.exe
Drive(E:):\setup.exe

Nothing.

I tried "opening" the drive; not working today.

Can you hear me knocking my head against a wall?!

Thanks for trying.

Any other ideas?

#27 TechieRanger

TechieRanger

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

In the instructions given, the word Drive in Drive:\setup.exe is just an example as different computers could have a different drive letter for the computer's DVD drive. :thumbup:

You should replace that word with the letter of your computer's DVD drive. Thus, if your computer uses E for the DVD drive, please type the following in the Start Search box:

E:\setup.exe

Regards,

Posted Image
Richard

#28 Jessica-Jean

Jessica-Jean

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for clarifying that for me! However, yesterday I tried - again - to do a system restore to an earlier date. There weren't many to choose from - earliest was in May. It wouldn't work on that one, but it did on a later one! Everything seems to be back to normal! :woot: I still don't know just what was the matter, but if it stays working as is for the next few years, I'll be delighted! I suppose now - when it's working correctly - would be a good time to make a restore point. I'll try to do that later tonight, and make back-ups of my files while I'm at it. Thank you for all your help!

#29 TechieRanger

TechieRanger

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

Very nice work! :thumbup: :clap:

The problems may be related to a recent Windows or McAfee update, or how malware were removed/fixed by McAfee and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

You could post the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware logs if possible. B)

The log can also be found by:
  • Selecting the Logs tab when the application is started.
  • Navigating to C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt
I will return as soon as possible with more instructions.

Regards,

Posted Image
Richard

#30 TechieRanger

TechieRanger

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:55 PM

We will now run some scans to check whether or not any infections are present at this point in time. ^_^

Please delete from your Desktop any older versions of the following tools that we downloaded previously and re-download them, so that you have the newest versions.

Please follow these steps in normal mode:

OTL
-------------
  • Download OTL to your Desktop.
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted. (If you use Windows Vista or 7, right click and choose 'Run as Administrator'.)
  • Select All Users.
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in
    netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /rp /s
    DRIVES
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
  • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt.
    Note:These logs can be located in the OTL. folder on your C:\ drive if they fail to open automatically.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post both logs with your next reply. You may need two posts to fit them both in.
Next
  • Please download aswMBR.exe and save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click aswMBR.exe to start the tool. If you use Windows Vista or 7, right click and choose 'Run as Administrator'.
  • When asked if you want to download Avast's virus definitions please select Yes.
  • Click Scan

• Upon completion of the scan, click Save log and save it to your Desktop, and post that log in your next reply for review. Note - do NOT attempt any Fix yet.
  • You will also notice another file created on the Desktop named MBR.dat. Right click that file and select Send To>Compressed (zipped) file. Attach that zipped file in your next reply as well.
In your next reply, please provide the following:
  • OTL log.
  • aswMBR log.

Regards,

Posted Image
Richard