Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Videos won't play (ESPN) - Okay on YouTube

Best Answer Rixtertrader , 09 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

Safe Mode didn't fix the problem.I did not think it had to be an application because I am able to play videos of other sites.And it affected all browsers only for ESPN.This means something is blocking that site only within the browsers.I decided to... Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Rixtertrader

Rixtertrader

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

I'm not sure how to title this issue as it is kind of multiple. I just had the machine cleaned of Viruses and Malware via tech help in that forum. Unfortunately, two problems seem to be evident. 1. (MAIN PROBLEM) - When I go to ESPN the flash videos will not play. I've tried several browsers (SAFARI, CHROME, IE8, FF) without any difference. However, I can play videos on YouTube without any problems. 2. When CHROME is my default browser, the desktop icons for webpages do not change to the Chrome icon like it used to. Change to another browser as default and the icons change to that browser's icon without any problem. Tried re-install of Chrome but that did nothing. ===========================================
  • jldskzfwdr likes this

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Flash? Can you provide a link to one of the ESPN movies that won't play for you?

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Rixtertrader

Rixtertrader

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

Yes. I uninstalled and reinstalled Flash.

Nothing. Works on YouTube, but it does not work on ESPN.

Here is one link.

http://espn.go.com/n...ame-5-questions

It doesn't matter which ESPN video it is, none of them will work.

And here you can see that others have had this problem. But it appears to be a mystery as to how to fix this.

http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=849883

I've scoured the INet without any results.

Edited by Rixtertrader, 05 June 2012 - 08:22 AM.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

I don't see any kind of movie at the ESPN link you provided.

Rich

#5 Rixtertrader

Rixtertrader

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:47 PM

That is because they change the content daily. Just go to www.espn.com and watch any of their videos. They have many videos. My system simply will not play any of them. You will likely be able to see a video. I am not able to. That's the mystery of this problem.

Edited by Rixtertrader, 05 June 2012 - 05:49 PM.

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

Okay, they play for me. What kind of problem do you see?

Rich

#7 Rixtertrader

Rixtertrader

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:00 PM

The problem is that they do not play on my system. It looks like it is about to start playing for 1/2 a second, but nothing happens. Just a black rectangle. Hover the mouse over it and you see the Play/Pause/Sound controls you normally see at the bottom of vids, but they do not play. I don't know how to describe this problem any other way. They just do not play. It's baffling! I can go to other sites, like YouTube, or NBA.com, or whatever and the videos play just fine. But what is it about my computer and ESPN.com that won't let me play their videos? You obviously seen for yourself that they play for you. So why do they play for you, and others, but not for me? And if you went to that link I provided previously, you will see that there are a few others around that have the same problem I do.

#8 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

only thing i can think of is somethings blocking them like a browser adblock addon or a flash setting.

think i'd look at your flash global settings first.

http://www.macromedi...ger.html#117096

You can allow the content to work as its creator intended, using the older security rules, or you can choose to enforce the newer, stricter rules. The latter choice helps ensure that you only view or play content that meets the most recent standards of security, but it may sometimes prevent older SWF or FLV content from working properly.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 05 June 2012 - 09:26 PM.

#9 Rixtertrader

Rixtertrader

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:03 PM

Well, I dinkered with those settings and still nothing. This one is a real mystery.

#10 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

did you delete all your data settings in the global advanced settings?
and if you have any adblock programs running try disabling them.

have you tried different web browsers? i'm using firefox.

oops i see you have.

I've tried several browsers (SAFARI, CHROME, IE8, FF)

Edited by terry1966, 05 June 2012 - 10:39 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

just had a thought if deleting all your data settings in flash then letting espn to store data on your pc didn't fix the problem maybe it's not using flash but the videos are using some other format and need an external player like windows media player and that might have been corrupted when you had the malware problem

so try reinstalling windows media player and/or installing vlc.

here's the vlc website. :- http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

#12 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

It would also be worthwhile running System File Checker (SFC). This replaces any missing or corrupted system files, doesn't touch anything else.

Click the Start orb, type cmd then right click on cmd.exe at the top and select Run as Administrator.
Type sfc /scannow and press Enter.

Let it complete, see if that helps.

Rich

#13 Rixtertrader

Rixtertrader

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

Deleted all in Global Settings. Nothing. Already have VLC. Cannot reinstall Media Player for Windows 7 as there does not appear to be a way to do this. It is built in. Ran SFC. No issues were found. If you right-click the videos on ESPN, you'll see that they are FLASH.

#14 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:56 PM

sorry can't think of anything else to try if it's not blocked by flash or any adblock lists/addons you may be using. if no one else has any ideas on where the problem may be, think i'd contact espn and see if they can help. :popcorn:

#15 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

What anti-virus are you using?

As a test, disable it and see what happens. If okay, re-enable it then disable the Windows Firewall and check it. Re-enable when done.

Also, I'd like to see what is installed on your computer if you don't mind. one way to do this is a follows:

Download and install CCleaner from the following link: CCleaner - Standard

During installation, uncheck the option to install the Yahoo toolbar.

Start CCleaner. Click on Tools (ICON) and Select the following BUTTONS to create two (2) text files:

* Uninstall > Save to text file (install) – bottom right corner of app window
* Startup > Save to text file (startup)

Locate and open each saved file in the ‘Documents’ FOLDER:

* Copy and paste the contents of each file into your next post (2 files).

Rich