This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Internet will only work in safemode [Closed]

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey there, Since last night, my laptop has just been acting up and being very sluggish. In normal mode, I can connect to the internet fine, but nothing will load. The only way I can get it to work on normal mode is if I clear all of my private data before restarting my laptop, and even then it will only work for a few minutes then stop. Also, when I go to open chrome, it'll usually takes a few seconds before opening, and may even completely freeze up. The only time where I can actually get it to work reliably is when I open up safe mode with networking. I'm afraid it might be a virus or something but I've run scans and everything and nothing has come up. I also read other posts where with people who had experienced a similar problem however theirs was because they were using Norton/Symantic and I'm not using either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hi, and welcome to our malware removal forum!

My name is Richard and I'll be happy to help you with your computer problems.

Please be advised that I am currently in training, so my responses will need to be approved by one of our experts before I post them. This is only to ensure you are receiving accurate instructions. It may cause a delay in my replies.

Please note the following:
  • The cleaning process is not instant as logs can take time to research. Sit tight and please be patient.
  • I will be working on your malware issues. This may or may not solve other issues you may have with your system.
  • While we are fixing your problems, do NOT install/re-install any programs or run any fixes or scanners unless told to do so.
  • Ensure that your anti-virus definitions are up-to-date.
  • I would advise backing up all your important documents, personal data files and photos to a CD or DVD drive.
  • Do not back up any Applications (programs). These should be re-installed from the original source CD(s) or website(s).
  • During the course of our cleanup, please do not do any additional online work or surfing until we have verified that your system is clean.
  • I suggest printing out each set of instructions and reading the entire post before proceeding. It will make following them easier.
  • Be sure to follow the directions and run tools/scans in the order listed.
  • If you do not reply to your topic, it will be closed after 3 days.
I will return as soon as possible with more instructions.



Regards,

Richard :wavey:
Please follow these steps in normal mode:

DDS
—————
Download DDS to your Desktop.
Disable any script blocker/antivirus software temporarily.
  • Double click DDS.scr to run it and wait for the scan to finish
  • When finished DDS.txt will open
  • At the next prompt, press Yes
  • DDS will continue scanning
  • When done, Attach.txt will open
  • Save both reports to your Desktop.
  • Please post the contents of the logs in your next reply.
Next

GMER Rootkit Scanner
—————
Download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here to to your Desktop. It will be a randomly named executable.
  • Double click the exe file. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent.
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan…click on NO.
  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. uncheck the following:
    • IAT/EAT
    • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
    • Show All (don't miss this one)
  • Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your Desktop, and attach it in reply.
**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<— ROOKIT" entries


In your next reply, please provide the following:
  • DDS logs.
  • GMER log.



Regards,

Richard :wavey:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI