This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Rookits: Win32/Sirefef.AB, Win64/Sirefef.P - Google Redirect [Solved]

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I did a scan of c:/ windows / assembly, where virus is located with avast. It said it removed it, but I will run some tests. I did the scan in safe mode.
Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Restart your computer and tap F8 to bring up the Advanced Menu, then click Repair your computer

Follow the prompt to enter keyboard input method, and then the prompt to enter a password. If the machine does not have a password, simply click Enter.

In the next menu, use the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Command Prompt and press Enter.

  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst.exe and press Enter.
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.

  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Uncheck the Whitlelist boxes next to Registry, Services, Drivers, known DLL's, and List Drivers MD5
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
I keep getting "the subsystem needed to support the image type is not present" when I enter g:\frst.exe (my USB is g:\)
Hi AWarGuy,

Sorry about that, you need the 64 bit executable. Download and save FRST64.exe to your flash drive and repeat the above steps.
Open Notepad and copy/paste the following into Notepad and save it as fixlist.txt in the same location where you saved frst64.exe

C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Roaming\googleoez.exe
2012-05-19 15:00 - 2011-10-03 22:07 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At11.job
2012-05-19 14:00 - 2011-10-03 22:07 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At10.job
2012-05-19 13:00 - 2011-10-03 22:07 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At9.job
2012-05-19 12:00 - 2011-10-03 22:07 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At8.job
2012-05-19 11:00 - 2011-10-03 22:07 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At7.job
2012-05-19 10:00 - 2011-10-03 22:07 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At6.job
2012-05-19 09:00 - 2011-10-03 22:07 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At5.job
2012-05-19 08:00 - 2011-10-03 22:07 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At4.job
2012-05-19 07:00 - 2011-10-03 22:07 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At3.job
2012-05-19 06:19 - 2011-10-03 22:07 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At2.job
2012-05-19 05:00 - 2011-10-03 22:08 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At25.job
2012-05-19 04:00 - 2011-10-03 22:08 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At24.job
2012-05-19 03:00 - 2011-10-03 22:08 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At23.job
2012-05-19 02:00 - 2011-10-03 22:08 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At22.job
2012-05-19 01:00 - 2011-10-03 22:07 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At21.job
2012-05-19 00:00 - 2011-10-03 22:07 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At20.job
2012-05-18 23:00 - 2011-10-03 22:07 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At19.job
2012-05-18 22:00 - 2011-10-03 22:07 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At18.job
2012-05-18 21:00 - 2011-10-03 22:07 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At17.job
2012-05-18 20:00 - 2011-10-03 22:07 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At16.job
2012-05-18 19:00 - 2011-10-03 22:07 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At15.job
2012-05-18 18:00 - 2011-10-03 22:07 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At14.job
2012-05-18 17:00 - 2011-10-03 22:07 - 0000340 ____A C:\Windows\Tasks\At13.job


Restart your computer and tap F8 to bring up the Advanced Menu, then click Repair your computer

Follow the prompt to enter keyboard input method, and then the prompt to enter a password. If the machine does not have a password, simply click Enter.

In the next menu, use the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Command Prompt and press Enter.

g:\frst64.exe

When the tool opens, click the Fix button just once, then wait. A log will be produced on the flash drive named Fix.txt

==================================

Restart the machine and disable your AV. Try again to run ComboFix.exe.

If it still won't run, then please post the log produce by AntiZeroAccess tool that you ran a couple days ago. It would be in the same location as where you ran that tool from.
Did the script, I check the directory where googleoez.exe and it is gone BUT, still have the bloody Rootkit. I disabled all my AV's, hell I even uninstalled all of them (I may regret this) and ComboFix still does NOT run, at all. What AntiZeroAccess Tool are you after? I've lost count of how many I've run different ones. It has also disabled my firewall, Windows Defender and prevents me from turning it back on. After reinstalling Microsoft Security Essentials, I haven't been spammed with virus messages, whether this is a good or not, I'm not sure, while this is somewhat good news, I still get the redirect virus and my internet is getting slower.
Hi AWarGuy,

Forget what I said about the AntiZeroAccess log for now. I need you to download Hitman Pro 64-bit.

Please run a scan with it and take a screenshot of the results. DO NOT try to remove what it finds. Hitman Pro will only remove the rootkit if you buy the software and even then, it is not capable of completely removing ZeroAccess.
My internet got slowed down for the day, so pardon me if I can't check it every hour or so like I usually do. Alright here are the results:

[external image: Posted Image]

[external image: Posted Image]

If you have a problem with reading the text, due to the black background and the text, let me know and I'll fix it up.

Also I've noticed that there are several PING.EXE processes under taskmanager, obviously part of this virus/rootkit/trojan but it is starting to clog up my PC.
Hi AWarGuy,

Okay Hitman is not showing what I need to see either. This is a new and stubborn variant of ZeroAccess. I need you to delete ComboFix from your desktop and download the updated version from the link below:
Link 1

Try running ComboFix again.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI