This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Registry backup

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello
Do any of you find this to be comparable to ERUNT but for Win 7?

Tweaking.com - Registry Backup v0.9.0 Beta is ready for testing

Tweaking.com - Registry Backup is a free backup tool that will use the Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service to backup your system registry.

Microsoft recommends using the Volume Shadow Copy to backup up the registry. This grabs a complete backup of the registry hives as they are. Some other registry backup programs use the Windows API RegSaveKey instead.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wi…v=vs.85%29.aspx

Quote From Microsoft:
"Applications that back up or restore system state including system files and registry hives should use the Volume Shadow Copy Service instead of the registry functions."

"Using RegSaveKey together with RegRestoreKey to copy subtrees in the registry is not recommended. This method does not trigger notifications and can invalidate handles used by other applications."


By using the Volume Shadow Copy instead of the RegSaveKey API this registry backup program is safer to use.

More information on the program will come as the beta gets a good testing from users.
I will have help files, f.a.q and how to videos done with the final release.

If you wish to help beta test feel free to give it a try.

The backup process is extremely safe as it isn't touching any of your system files. It is reading from the volume copy service only.

If you encounter any bugs or have any feedback to make the program better just post in the forums.

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/registry_backup.html

Shane
Hi Peter,
The Registry backup utility from tweaking.com, could be a useful tool,and I welcome the introduction of any software that helps folks back up their Registry (and everything else for that matter)…However:

Just a very brief warning, this is a new product that is being offered for Beta testing …….
When Beta testing a new piece of software,we either use a "disposable" computer or a dedicated computer/system that is reserved purely for testing purposes….. beta testing is generally to be avoided by the less experienced computer user, and should not be used on an important business or family computer……….. Only Beta test a product on a machine that you are happy to format (clear everything) and reinstall Windows and all applications.

Please note that I provide this warning for all software being considered for Beta test…..(not just those from treaking.com) I have used other tweaking.com products, like for example their All in One repair tool ,and have had a good experience with it…
Regards
paws
Hi Paws Thank you for the warning. I have tried to let other non tech people like me know this is possibly a way to back up the regisrty. I know a person who is going to try it and I am waiting to hear from him. I would never use a beta program. If this works out, I hope it will be like ERUNT so the average person can have this tool at their disposal. I also hope it will pick up where xp left off with ERUNT. I am not capable of the workarounds even after watching the video/tutorials of ERUNT. I have been speaking with Shane at Tweaking.com and he is anxious o have people try this out and submit suggestions. For my part, I will wait till the beta program does what it should. I am going to ask him if he could create a video of the steps to use the program for the average user. Again, thank you. Peter.
Hi again I thought you might find this interesting as the author is defending his program; I made the program because the API that Erunt uses is not recommend by Microsoft and they prefer to use the volume shadow copy service. I also wanted to give more options than Erunt has. The registry is the hive mind of Windows. One wrong key gets changed and the whole system is down. They can be changed by a bad program, virus or even having part of the registry on a bad sector on the drive. A lot of times when a Windows OS goes down it is because something in the registry and not with any of the system files. Also when your settings or services get screwed up. Its a lot of times is because the reg keys for them got changed. Thats why a lot of fixes are registering files, which is rewriting the reg values for them. Windows has a System File checker that replaces a lot of files when they get changed, but they do nothing to keep an eye on the reg. So a lot of times just backing up the registry is all that is needed. Especially when your about to install a new program and want to get a quick backup of the reg. Similar to system restore but without needing to copy a ton of files as well. Point is there is a point to the program. it isn't a total backup, never going to be. It just backs up the most important part of Windows :-) Also Tim is a good friend and one of my Beta testers for it. Even though the program is Beta it is very safe to use for making the backups since it doesnt touch any of the system files. It only grabs the files off of a volume snap shot. So feel free to try it out, I need all the feedback I can get so I can make it better. Shane
It has a installable and a portable (non-installed) version. I'm going to give it a try to and see how it looks, but unless I run into problems requiring a restore of the registry I don't see any good way to test it.

I still use ERUNT but like the idea of this one.

Link here: tweaking,com - Registry Backup
Portable version doesn't work, doesn't connect with Volume Shadow Copy, gets an error. Installed version works okay. Now to see what the scheduler looks like (neat, it has it's own scheduler). Bug: Doesn't honor the location I chose to backup to, puts it in C:\Reg_Backup. Structure is weird as well, does not appear to be laid out like the registry hive itself.
Hi Z Shane at Tweaking.com would love to hear from you. First the link seems to be the one I was directed to that we are discussing. He is asking nice pc educated folks to take his programs for a test drive and report back to him with any coments so he can build upon them. He told me yesterday that he will come out with a video as soon as the product is reliable and no longer beta. That is when I will look at it. It does a lot of good for techs like you to contact him but no good for average users like me as we have nothing to contribute, but you certainly do. I told him about Britec's video/tutorial which almost got me to use ERUNT and he will have one out shortly, I hope. Tim, at another forum has advetised that this beta program is out there to be used with caution until the kinks are out. I understand your reluctance regarding messing up your machime. A friend in London has a bunch of pcs and he is currently working on that program of Shane's and will let me know when he feels has integrity. Then I will watch the video to see if it is something i can do. Peter
I knew when you,Z, and Shane put your thoughts together, nothing but good coud lcome out of it. I am sitting back and would not think of doing anything until you and he give the green light and the video is available. Yes, he is very courteous and responsive and I hope on the right track to a useful tool the average person can use. Good luck Peter
Just what I need, a portable reg. backup. Just waiting for it to be declared 'stable' so I can use it on other people's machines. Until then I will continue to install ERUNT when needed. Tested the portable version from a thumb drive on my test machine. I installed WinPatrol plus, to test it with Winpatrol's reg. locked files using the "run under system account" setting and then ran it again with those files unlocked (WinPatrol uninstalled) and chose "run under current user account". It seems to work fine in both modes and stored the backups to the created folder (on the thumb drive) I selected :thumbup: Cheers, Lee PS: Ooops, spoke too soon. To restore, I cannot select the backup folder that contains the back-up. Cannot select any folder, the field just remains blank and there is no browse function. so I can backup the reg. but cannot restore it. Not much point in that. Program needs work. PPS: Problem solved. The backup folder contained 2 backups, both taken in 2 different mode settings. Deleted one and presto, able to select backup to restore. Works well now.

The latest version 0.9.4 doesn't work at all for me. Working with Shane to see what's happening.



>>Tell Shane if you two need software help you can ask me. ^_^
On the serious side, I hope the video is avaiable soon and I thik it is great that you are working with him.
It will be done sooner and will be more stable -2 minds you know…
The biggest drawback is the restore part. It is not as easy to use as ERUNT. You need to boot a Linux live CD or some other bootable OS that allows you to access the hard drive then manually copy the data from the backup to C:\Windows\system32\config.
Hi Z Oh, Oh! Well thank you for the heads up. It looks as though I will be using system restore and Acronis and that is not that bad. I do not think I am really not at a level where I should be doing as you explained. I hope, though, that it wil be of help to others. I was hoping for a program for the average user; maybe some day. Thank you again. Peter
I was just reding about the recovery fo both ERUNT and RegBak. I prejudged the beta program being developed because there will be a simple recovery button if you can boot into the program. Like the other two programs there will be another option involving other measures if you cannot boot into the program. I guess I was anxious to use it but should have waited until it was no longer beta. I am encouraged that there will ultimately be a simple recovery tab and will not always have to use other means.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI