This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Dropped my Laptop, It won't boot up now

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Today, I dropped my laptop and the laptop won't boot up now. Recently my desktop stopped booting up so I created a boot disk to fix it, but the boot disk I used for my laptop won't work. I get to the windows setup screen and then after it loads up all the files, I get a blue screen of death error. So I can't even do recovery because I get a BSOD before then. This is what the laptops says when its loading up (without a boot disk): For Atheros PCIE Ethernet controller v.2.0.1.9(12/15/09) Check Cable Connection PXE-MOF: exiting Intel PXE Rom No bootable device- insert boot disk and press any key
Hi mikej62, Sorry to hear of the problem with the laptop…. The laptop seems to be trying to boot from a network…(that's what your report indicates) rather than your hard drive or Optical drive (CD/DVD) You can check this by going into the BIOS ,immediately after you attempt to power on and making sure that the boot order priority is set to 1 CD/DVD 2 Hard drive 3 any others can come next(just get the first two correct) make sure you don't alter anything else whilst you are in the BIOS without writing down the exact settings and what you have done, If you prefer you can take a series of photos of each screen with a digital camera, just to be on the safe side! You will need to save the settings when exiting the BIOS and if you are lucky then the computer should boot up automatically…. Dropping a laptop computer is generally very bad news as irreparable damage can be caused to the hard drive, memory modules can become unseated, VDUs and their cables and other internal components can be damaged. Some hard drives have shock protection built in to cope with a fair degree of g force…but its never a good idea to rely on it! If you can get your computer to boot then I would be inclined to get to a command prompt and run chkdsk /r to check out your hard drive. Let us know how things go Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI