This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Best Virus Protection (so it says)

18 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Well theres a new one for ya……

Notepad will NOT allow C:\ to be typed in the top dropdown :huh:



Ummm I just noticed there's no visible C:\ folder

Attachments:

  • [attachment removed: ScreenShot004.gif]
Hi turtleman,

It's important that the original boot.ini be renamed before saving the new one.

This might be caused by the rogue you were infected with.

Download Rogue Killer and save it to your desktop.
  • double click the Rogue Killer icon to run it
  • After it has completed it's prescan click Shortcuts Fix
  • When the scan is complete click report
Please post the log.

Is the C:\ drive now visible?
Nope,, it just says "MY Computer" in the header ,, the screenshot of the expanded tree all files under My Computer don't show the C;\ folder,

Attachments:

  • [attachment removed: ScreenShot008.gif]
Local disk (C:) is my hard drive, I was looking for the folder C:\ Going back to running Rouge Killer it still cant load I get the same window as the screenshot a few post ago
Umm,, Interesting error again,, as it turns out via MSN support the error is due to another app the rewrites the boot.ini file,, way back when………………… I had a app installed that I used for skinning windows,, I did the add/remove to that app years ago, but as with many programs they can/will leave a residual file some places and this is why were having the issues Talk to me about PHP/MySQL or E Commerce and message forums,,, OK,,…………, Windows??? nope,, I'm lost in windows LOL everythings done as per instructions,, SP2 is sitting on my desktop I just need to find these "left over files" and remove them and without knowing my way around the WIN structure I'm lost..

Attachments:

  • [attachment removed: ScreenShot009.gif]
Hi turtleman,

as it turns out via MSN support the error is due to another app the rewrites the boot.ini file,,

That is what we are attempting to correct.


Did you reboot the computer after saving the boot.ini file?

Please download ZipIt from here:
Download 2
  • Double-click ZipIt! to run it.
  • Then copy the content of the following codebox into the textfield:

    c:\boot.ini
    c:\boot.bak
    c:\boot.bak1
  • Then, just click the Zip button.
  • When finished, and if successful, a new file will have been created on your Desktop. You will be notified of what the file name is when the process has been completed.
Yeah……… in hindsite,, I wish I edited the files when I removed them, doing uninstall at least you see the folder/file thats it's written to, I did a full re-boot… After downloading the zip I get yet another pop up………….. its kind of like the recoverable can of worms here isn't it I'm thinking this is like the Abbott and Costello skit of "Who's on First"

Attachments:

  • [attachment removed: ScreenShot010.gif]
Hi turtleman,

A lot of this is related to not having any service packs installed. Just attach the 3 files.

c:\boot.ini
c:\boot.bak
c:\boot.bak1
Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file

Who's on First??

LOL

IPBoard permissions are set to "Off" ( I own a IBP forum for my site also)

I'll do it this way instead;
boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
c:\cmdcons\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
UnsupportedDebug="do not select this" /debug
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin /TUTag=HBRI2L
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (TuneUp Backup)" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin /TUTag=HBRI2L-BAK

boot.bak
[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin /TUTag=HBRI2L /Kernel=TUKernel.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (TuneUp Backup)" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin /TUTag=HBRI2L-BAK

boot.bak1
[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
UnsupportedDebug="do not select this" /debug
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin /TUTag=HBRI2L /Kernel=TUKernel.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (TuneUp Backup)" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin /TUTag=HBRI2L-BAK

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI