This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Internet Explorer saves images as bitmaps

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My PC with Win X / SP3 saves images from IE (#8) as bitmaps. I've cleaned Downloaded Program Files from unknown/damaged files (as a consequence uninstalled and re-installed Adobe Flash Player and Java), moved the Temporary Internet Files folder to a new location, installed and now using Delete History Free and MRU-Blaster programs. But still, more often than not I'm able to right-click-safe only one picture before cleaning IE's History again … This seems to be a "known issue", but none of the solutions I found work for me. Any workable solution would be much appreciated. thanks, Peter Ringenbergh
Not sure I understand. How are you trying to save images?

Do you right click on an image and select Save Picture as and change the Save as type to JPEG?

Can you explain more what this means: But still, more often than not I'm able to right-click-safe only one picture before cleaning IE's History again

Also, how much free space do you have on your hard drive?
Normally I save a pic by right-click > save picture as ; this way the file name and type is shown. Problem now is there is no file name (untitled) and no file type recognised (all are bmp. according to Windows). But still, more often than not I'm able to right-click-safe only one picture before cleaning IE's History again => most of the time Windows recognise only one picture with the correct file name and file type, thereafter it shows me all pics as filename = untitled and filetype = bmp. After cleaning IE's history I'm able to safe a picture with correct name/type, but often only one picture, after which I've to clean 'History' again, and so on. Available space: on C 259G of the 465G free, on D 351G of the 931G, on F 148G of 465G total disc space, 1024MB RAM Peter
Ah! right-click-safe === right-click-save

That had me very confused.

The first thing to try is create a new account via Control Panel / User Accounts. Try it from the new account and see if it works correctly or not. If yes then you can keep the new account and copy all your files and folders from the old account to the new one then remove the old one. First let's see what happens.

If no change, delete the new account.

Install FireFox and see if the problem happens there or not. If not then it's an IE specific problem and we can work on that. If it still happens then it's a Windows problem and we can work on it that way.

Need to understand where the problem is before we continue trying to fix it.
Ah, sorry for my poor English … I've never ever made a new account, and never used anything other than IE, but I'll try both and report back. Thanks so far ! Peter
After some fiddling around the results are: - new account: same problem, no difference at all - FireFox: same problem basically, but the untitled/bmp problem occurred less frequently (after some 5 to 8 pictures instead of after 1 or 2) Peter
All exept one of the solutions in the link you give I've tried already in past weeks (see my first post). In fact I've made a hotlink on my desktop to speed up the process of cleaning IE's History (after which I can properly save a picture again). What I've NOT done is deleting ALL files in "downloaded program files". These are : BDSCANONLINE Control Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0 (there're three of these files) McFreeScan Class MUWebControl Class Shockwave Flash Object Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool Could you please give a confirmation on deleting these? Do you want me to walk through the steps in the link you gave (as I've done all these before)? Peter
Instead of deleting C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files, rename it and create a new folder of the same name then test. Those files are only used to install from so removing them should not cause any problem but this way you can put it back if it doesn't make a difference.
Closed IE Created a new "Downloaded Program Files" folder (renamed but did not delete original folder). Started IE saved two pics correct, the third and all thereafter were untitled/bmp again … watched what was eventually in the new "Downloaded Program Files" folder, but it was empty Peter
Bummer, I was hoping that would do the trick. I'm going to ask for some of the other folks here to take a look and see if they have any ideas.
Here are a couple suggestions that seems to have helped others.

(1) Uninstall IE8. That will take you back to IE7, then reinstall IE8.

or (and?)

(2) See here and download, unzip and run (merge) the "JPE/JPG/JPEG Association Fix"
After installing the "JPE/JPG/JPEG Association Fix" I could save 3x a pic as intended after which my PC switched to the untitled/bmp format again. Do I uninstall IE8 via the Windows Uninstall function ? Are there any settings getting lost, like 'favorites' (I've hundreds of them: the pictures I download are used in a used audio-equipment 'blue book' I maintain, the favorites link to various traders). Peter
To be safe, make sure the Menu toolbar is being shown, then click on File / Import and Export. Select Export a File and click Next;. Select Favorites and click Next.\Pick where you want to save then click Next. Then, after you uninstall IE8, if favorites are missing, you can import them.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI