This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Adobe Flash

16 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

[/fontEven though I have Adobe Flash Player 11 Active 64-bit installed on Windows 7, I keep getting this message when I try to view a video like you tube: The Adobe Flash Player or an HTML5 supported browser is required for video playback.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times and yet it gives me problems even though I get this message: Installation successful You are now running Adobe Flash Player.

Even odder ,though, a lot of sites I go to will have a message that I need to install the latest flash player, but with the message at the very top of the screen - This web site wants to run the following add-on Adobe Flash Player - if I click on that and right click on play, something will play.

I have checked the disk for errors (none found) and ran a SFC but did not help.

Any ideas for me? Thanks much. :o :pullhair: ]
You don't mention what browser you are using when you get this, so if you could say exactly what web browsers you have installed we can try and suggest options to try.
Today I had a similar problem. It was "possibly" related to today's update of Adobe Flash, or possibly not. I really don't know what caused it, but audio was working fine in all applications and the windows notifications prior to updating Flash. Afterwards, there were no devices selected to play sounds. Therefore… Go to Start - Control Panel - (type) - Device From the list that populates, select AutoPlay - Change default settings for media or devices. Not sure what applications you have installed, but most folks will probably select Media Player to play — from the drop down lists. Let us know if that helps.
Hi again foxygrandma

Alternatively, your problem may be that you installed Flash using Internet Explorer
And then later you were browsing with Firefox, or some other Browser.

In most cases, each browser must also install an add-on for Flash before the browser can actually display flash content.

That's probably what 8210guy was getting at when he asked for more information.

So…. What browser are you using when the failure to display occurs?

Best Regards

You don't mention what browser you are using when you get this, so if you could say exactly what web browsers you have installed we can try and suggest options to try.



I am using IE8. Have tried IE 9 and do not care for it, so went back to 8. Have tried other browsers but so used to IE. On this site, or any site, I am getting the message: The Website wants to run the following add-on Adobe Flash Player from Adobe System Incorporated. If you trust the web site and the add-on and want to allow it to run, click here.

It appears three spaces down from the address box. They probably are not called Spaces, (I have a lot to learn yet) but under the address box is Search and other items; under that is Favorites Import or Export, and a few others; under that, to the far right is Page, Safety, Tools and a couple of other items; then after that the message appears.

It is 2:30 AM so gotta hit the sack. Thanks much!
:yeah:
You got it Doug :thumbup: Currently I have 2 thoughts, firstly you have a 64bit OS system ? I ask as there are 2 instances of ie in 64bit systems, one is the 32bit browser, usually set as the main browser as standard, but the other is the 64bit browser, and each browser needs it's version of add on to function correctly on web pages requiring such add on's, usually when directed to download the add on it usually picks up which version you need and supplies it accordingly, but a manual check certainly wont hurt. So click on Start - All Programs, then listed alphabetically above the folders you should see 2 entries for ie, one clearly states it's the 64bit version, so click on the other version and see if you have better luck with that. My other thought is about the security settings in the browser, lets reset them and see if that makes a difference, click on Start - Control Panel - Internet Options, then click on the Security tab at the top, then toward the bottom there is a Reset all zones to default level, click that button then apply\save\exit your way out, not try again to see if the web site plays nice now.

Today I had a similar problem.
It was "possibly" related to today's update of Adobe Flash, or possibly not.

I really don't know what caused it, but audio was working fine in all applications and the windows notifications prior to updating Flash.
Afterwards, there were no devices selected to play sounds.

Therefore…

Go to Start - Control Panel - (type) - Device

From the list that populates, select AutoPlay - Change default settings for media or devices.

Not sure what applications you have installed, but most folks will probably select Media Player to play — from the drop down lists.

Let us know if that helps.




Changed all that I could to Windows Media Player. Still doing it but maye I have to reboot, so will try that.

Today I had a similar problem.
It was "possibly" related to today's update of Adobe Flash, or possibly not.

I really don't know what caused it, but audio was working fine in all applications and the windows notifications prior to updating Flash.
Afterwards, there were no devices selected to play sounds.

Therefore…

Go to Start - Control Panel - (type) - Device

From the list that populates, select AutoPlay - Change default settings for media or devices.

Not sure what applications you have installed, but most folks will probably select Media Player to play — from the drop down lists.

Let us know if that helps.




Changed all that I could to Windows Media Player. Still doing it but maye I have to reboot, so will try that.

You got it Doug :thumbup:

Currently I have 2 thoughts, firstly you have a 64bit OS system ? I ask as there are 2 instances of ie in 64bit systems, one is the 32bit browser, usually set as the main browser as standard, but the other is the 64bit browser, and each browser needs it's version of add on to function correctly on web pages requiring such add on's, usually when directed to download the add on it usually picks up which version you need and supplies it accordingly, but a manual check certainly wont hurt.
So click on Start - All Programs, then listed alphabetically above the folders you should see 2 entries for ie, one clearly states it's the 64bit version, so click on the other version and see if you have better luck with that.

My other thought is about the security settings in the browser, lets reset them and see if that makes a difference, click on Start - Control Panel - Internet Options, then click on the Security tab at the top, then toward the bottom there is a Reset all zones to default level, click that button then apply\save\exit your way out, not try again to see if the web site plays nice now.


Yes, I have 64-bit, Doug. I have tried several times resetting zones to default level. But does no good. Boy, I have a stubborn laptop! Okay, I will try the other IE. I see it listed in the Start menu. Have to leave for a bit now, though and will try later. Thanks mucho! :thumbup:

Hi again foxygrandma

Alternatively, your problem may be that you installed Flash using Internet Explorer
And then later you were browsing with Firefox, or some other Browser.

In most cases, each browser must also install an add-on for Flash before the browser can actually display flash content.

That's probably what 8210guy was getting at when he asked for more information.

So…. What browser are you using when the failure to display occurs?

Best Regards


Browser IE 8

You got it Doug :thumbup:

Currently I have 2 thoughts, firstly you have a 64bit OS system ? I ask as there are 2 instances of ie in 64bit systems, one is the 32bit browser, usually set as the main browser as standard, but the other is the 64bit browser, and each browser needs it's version of add on to function correctly on web pages requiring such add on's, usually when directed to download the add on it usually picks up which version you need and supplies it accordingly, but a manual check certainly wont hurt.
So click on Start - All Programs, then listed alphabetically above the folders you should see 2 entries for ie, one clearly states it's the 64bit version, so click on the other version and see if you have better luck with that.

My other thought is about the security settings in the browser, lets reset them and see if that makes a difference, click on Start - Control Panel - Internet Options, then click on the Security tab at the top, then toward the bottom there is a Reset all zones to default level, click that button then apply\save\exit your way out, not try again to see if the web site plays nice now.


Yes, I have 64-bit, Doug. I have tried several times resetting zones to default level. But does no good. Boy, I have a stubborn laptop! Okay, I will try the other IE. I see it listed in the Start menu. Have to leave for a bit now, though and will try later. Thanks mucho! :thumbup:



Ok, I tried the other version of IE yesterday and still would get the same message. Only have been online for about 1/2 hour and was in my email and getting same message. But now, on this site, it isn’t doing it whereas it was before. Hmmmm, now I am really confused. If it has stopped wherever I go that will be great. In case it has not, though, when I have the time, will uninstall again, go to the registry, search for Adobe and anything with the word Flash and deleted them, then try to reinstall it again. I am not sure that would be the correct thing to do. What do you think? It is 3:30 AM, and have to go to dreamland now.
My best guess at this stage is there has been some kind of corruption in Flash, I suggest trying to uninstall it, use This Link for uninstallers, they offer both 32bit and 64bit uninstallers, I suggest running both one at a time, also run them via right clicking on them and selecting to Run as Admin, once done reboot and install the 64bit version from This Link, this version installs both 32bit and 64bit versions in the one process, lets hope this sorts things out for you, also remember to uncheck the Google Chrome option before starting, or it will install that as well, unless you want it anyway that is.

*edit
OK just tried this on my system, it seems you will only need the 64bit uninstaller, when I ran the 32bit version it told me to use the 64bit version, it wont hurt you to try, but thats what I just found.

My best guess at this stage is there has been some kind of corruption in Flash, I suggest trying to uninstall it, use This Link for uninstallers, they offer both 32bit and 64bit uninstallers, I suggest running both one at a time, also run them via right clicking on them and selecting to Run as Admin, once done reboot and install the 64bit version from This Link, this version installs both 32bit and 64bit versions in the one process, lets hope this sorts things out for you, also remember to uncheck the Google Chrome option before starting, or it will install that as well, unless you want it anyway that is.

*edit
OK just tried this on my system, it seems you will only need the 64bit uninstaller, when I ran the 32bit version it told me to use the 64bit version, it wont hurt you to try, but thats what I just found.



Thanks much. When I went to the 32-bit uninstaller I got the messge: The installation encountered errors. Please use the 64-bit Flash Player uninstaller on this system. The 64 bit worked okay. I rebooted, installed the 64 bit and got the message: Installation successful. You are now running Adobe Flash Player, Then right way got the message - This website wants to run the following addon, Adobe Flash Player from Adobe Systems, Inc.. If you trust the web site and the add on and want to allow it to run, click here…

After I uninstalled it I went to regedit and under Adobe, Flash was not shown. Under Macromedia, there is a Flash Player. Maybe that has something to do with the problem? Also, after I reinstalled it, I went back to regedit and under Current User, Software, Adobe Flash still is not shown. I do not know that much about the Registry but should it not be there? Under Local Machine, Software, I do not see Adobe listed at all. I don’t know. Ya got me! Maybe I just need to wait until I can do a recovery. Hmmm, I just went to you tube and did not get the same message. I will see today how it is working. You all are so good to me. Thank you much. Be back later and let you know. Do not know if I am supposed to do this, but this is a great link on the Japanese Surrender.

Japanese Surrender

ACTUAL VOICE OF GENERAL McARTHUR NEVER BEEN SHOWN TO GENERAL PUBLIC BEFORE.

This is a 'must see' for the WWII history buff or anyone interested in history.
Interesting the other signers to the document, from New Zealand/Australia to Europe/Russia. This is an actual film made of the surrender ceremony of the Japanese to McArthur in Tokyo Bay in September 1945.
Actual voice of the General. Never been shown to the general public before.
We always saw the "stills" but never the film itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=vcnH_…player_embedded
Macromedia is\was the original badge it used to come under, so AFAIK it is one in the same these days, and registry is best left alone unless you know what you are up to, it's so easy to mess things up in there that could leave all sorts of problems behind.
I don't think it will make a difference, but it wont hurt to try, but make sure you have the latest Shockwave player, not sure how it may affect, or if it even would at all, but given many sites rely on such things it's possible it may help, can't hurt to try, make sure to uncheck the box for software you don't want before installing, hope this helps or not sure what to suggest next, so fingers crossed.

A last thought though, what protection are you running, and do you disable it before installing these things ?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI