This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

burn downloaded program to cd or dvd

32 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Can the subject be done by downloading a program, locating it in the C:\ and open its location, programs files(x86) for examle then right clicking it to 'send to' dvd or flashdrive?. Or is it better to burn the program after downloading to desktop. If the latter is better how is it done? Thank you Peter PS I ask because I want to download a program but will need it if I reinstall and the program is gone.
no you can not just burn/drag drop the installed files/folders from your root directory to a cd/flash drive and then just put them back in the same place on a clean install and the program will work like before. you need the install program itself to create all the registry information needed for the program to work correctly, and not just the files/folders you are talking about. yes you can just burn/drag drop the downloaded program(.exe file) to a cd/flash drive and then copy it back on the clean os and then run it, and have it install the program just fine. :popcorn:

no you can not just burn/drag drop the installed files/folders from your root directory to a cd/flash drive and then just put them back in the same place on a clean install and the program will work like before.

you need the install program itself to create all the registry information needed for the program to work correctly, and not just the files/folders you are talking about.

yes you can just burn/drag drop the downloaded program(.exe file) to a cd/flash drive and then copy it back on the clean os and then run it, and have it install the program just fine.

:popcorn:



I watched a video where a program was downloaded and installed. Then the person hlited the main program folder in program files and used the burner, IMG in this case, to create the cd.

I am unclear when you say you cannot copy or burn or drag the main program in program files for example but can [drag drop the installed files/folders from your root directory] Is the latter done with a burner?

I am unclear when you say you cannot copy or burn or drag the main program in program files for example but can [drag drop the installed files/folders from your root directory] Is the latter done with a burner?


no i never said you could drag and drop the installed files/folders from your root directory and have it work on a clean install.

what i said was you can drag and drop or burn the downloaded installer itself, usually a self extracting .exe file of some type on to a cd or flash drive and then after doing the clean install copy it back into the os and then run it to install the program.

yes any burner program can be used to copy the installer onto a data cd, my preference tho is to use a flash drive and just drag and drop it, that way i don't waste any of my cd's.

copying the program files/folders is not like copying data files/folders because they are useless without a registry entry unlike the data files/folders and that's why all programs need to be re-installed after a clean os install and not just have their folders copied back onto the hard drive where they were.

not sure what video you watched but my understanding an image file is it's just a bit for bit copy/clone/dump of data on your hard drive or whatever your imaging so i don't see how you could create an image of just your programs folder then copy it back into a clean install and have everything work.
i may be wrong but i just don't see how it would restore the registry for starters, it may even overwrite parts of the drive that already have info on if it copies everything back to where the data was original stored on the hard drive like i think it might.

can you post me a link to the video so i can watch it and maybe get a better understanding of what he's doing and how it works?

:popcorn:
Peter, Here is an analogy that might help. Ok, you have two eggs that you have taken out of an egg carton. You can put them anywhere you like including into another egg container for future use, but instead you crack the eggs into a bowl, beat them and pour the mixture into a hot pan with butter to make an omelet. Is there some new kitchen wiz appliance that can now put those eggs back together and into their shells, so they can be returned to the egg carton for future use? A software program is like the egg. I have yet to hear of any method to restore one (unscramble an omelet) to it's original form once it has been installed (cracked) and saved for future use! I'd love to see that video you referred to, as I could always use a good laugh :lol: Cheers, Lee :thumbup:
One of the videos is found if youtype " burn a program to cd" in a google search box and see the 6th entry down which mentions YouTub and is dated 4/24/09. I'll look for the other that is more specific. I believe you type"downloaded programs to cd" in the YouTube search box. The point is that I watched videos not that I am right. I am not saying they are right either. Also, I could have misinterpreted what they daid as I did with Terri's post. I am trying to learn how to do it and admit to stumbling along the way. Pc lore is not something we are born with and I like to make allowances for people in any field of endeavor. I find no humor in someone's short comings which I explained once before..
Hi Peter, You are all quite correct in what you say…! :D
Here's the explanation that I hope will help:

Its perfectly possible to burn a Program to a CD or DVD that you have downloaded, but you have to save the downloaded executable file and thats the chap you burn to CD etc. in the video he has saved them to his desktop..and that is fine!

You cant just copy a folder from your Windows Program Files folder for example and expect it to work on another machine…..

If you watch the you tube video you will see that he is burning the downloaded executable file to CD or DVD and that is fine….but dont try burning just the Windows folder concerned or just the shortcut as that wont work!

Hope this helps
Regards
paws

I find no humor in someone's short comings which I explained once before.

It sounded like you were watching a video on how to burn and save an installed program for future use and if indeed that is what you were viewing (you never provided a link) it is indeed humorous because it is absurd (the video, not you).
that's what the forums are for peter, to ask questions and learn, so never be afraid to ask any questions you like, i'd never make fun of you or anyone for not knowing something. there's plenty i know but even more that i don't. :D i think the confusion here may be partly mine and not yours too so i'll explain again even tho paws already did a good job. ;) when you download and save a program from the internet it'll come as a .exe file now this file never changes and can be used as many times as you like on as many pc's as you like to install the actual program inside it into the pc's os. i always save such files to my downloads folder, but they can be saved anywhere you like and i think by default with windows are saved to the desktop folder. now when you click on the .exe file to start the installation process it unpacks the program from inside itself and then installs it into your pc's os, and usually puts it's files in the windows programs folder, and it was these files i thought you wanted to copy and use again on a clean install not the original .exe file. if you were then to go into windows settings and uninstall the program you just installed you could click on the .exe file again and it would re-install the program, because like i said earlier that .exe file never changes so still has everything needed inside it to install the program. there are numerous ways to copy that .exe file onto a cd/dvd or flash drive to save it ready to be used again on a clean install or even different pc using the same os, so use whichever way you like. :thumbup: i should point out the program file you download isn't always a .exe ( just usually ), it might be a .zip file or something else but the same thing holds true for them all, the original downloaded file never changes and is always the one you need to copy to be used again somewhere else. :popcorn:
Thank you all for your patience,understanding and friendly comments. Back at you. First let me say I finally, out of desperation installed the Roxio Crreator 10.3 (previous ones did not install lacking ecm10)and it installed. I burned a neat video of the children but it had no voice. I think it does not support mp4 altho it talked about iusing QT to do so. So much for that issue I am still working on. I have always dealt with examples better than explanations. Could you give me an example of one way of burning a downloaded program to dvd. I ask because I will download FlickDVD and would like to have a disc. I know it is asking alot but if someone had the time could you please use the old pablum format ; first you…second you… third… I know it is asking a lot but I'll even sign over my SS check. :wavey: .
here you go peter, windows 7 has it's own built in program to just copy files to a dvd/cd, you only need a different burner program for burning music, video, iso files.

You can use Windows to burn a data disc, which is useful for storing, archiving, and sharing files among different computers. If you want to make a disc that will play in a music or video player, you should burn the disc using a music or video program.


To burn a disc using the Live File System format

1. Insert a writeable CD or DVD into your computer's CD or DVD recorder.

2. In the dialog box that appears, click Burn files to data disc.

3. In the Burn a Disc dialog box, type a name for this disc, and then click Next.

It might take several minutes for the disc to be formatted in the default Live File System format. When the formatting is complete, an empty disc folder opens.

4. Open the folder that contains the files you want to burn, and then drag the files into the empty disc folder.
Illustration showing how files are copied to the disc folder by dragging them
[external image: Posted Image]
You can copy files to the disc folder by dragging them to the disc icon or to an open disc folder

As you drag files into the disc folder, they are copied automatically to the disc.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows…urn-a-CD-or-DVD

that's just one way to do what you want and probably the easiest.

:popcorn:
if you want a step by step guide on burning your mp4 videos to either a video disc(cd) or video dvd so they play in a dvd player or on a pc, just say and i'm sure i or someone else can write one for you. i'd probably use the program lee mentioned in your other thread can't remember now what it was but easy enough to find again. also remember it depends on the size of the mp4 file, what you will need to burn them onto.( i'm assuming they do have sound when played on your pc, you keep saying when you do burn them there's no sound. ) i'd need to look up the exact sizes, but off the top of my head. video cd upto 700 MiBs file size single layer dvd upto 4.5 GiBs file size dual layer dvd upto 8.5 GiBs file size blueray upto 35 GiBs. file size i believe both the last 2 need a special drive, not 100% sure now about dual layer dvd's they might be able to be burnt using your dvd r/w drive with just a dual layer dvd disc but bluerays would definitely need a special blueray drive. of course there are ways to fit a larger size file onto a smaller medium but that's for another time. :popcorn:

i'd probably use the program lee mentioned in your other thread can't remember now what it was but easy enough to find again.
:popcorn:


[attachment removed]

It will burn anything on any type of disk, is very easy to use and is a reliable burner.
Normally $50, but this (obscure) one is a fully featured free version and I don't mean 'free trial'.
Ashampoo Burning Studio 2010 Advanced FREE

Cheers,
Lee
I did not express myself well at all and consequently led you to a lot of work, all of which is appreciated..
Windows does not support mp 4 files. I have read all their tutorials.
I do know how to burn dvds using different burners.

My question pertained to downloading a program like DVD Video which does mp4 files.

After I download and install it, I want to make a cd/dvd of the program for future use in case it is no longer at the site.

I know how to download and install it.

!!Question is - how do you make a dvd or cd out of a program you are going to download and install. ??
Is it done after the installation?

What steps do you take to make the dvd so you can use it in the future if you had to reinstall the o.s.?

This would be a great benefit to me and thank you.

i'd probably use the program lee mentioned in your other thread can't remember now what it was but easy enough to find again.
:popcorn:


[attachment removed]

It will burn anything on any type of disk, is very easy to use and is a reliable burner.
Normally $50, but this (obscure) one is a fully featured free version and I don't mean 'free trial'.
Ashampoo Burning Studio 2010 Advanced FREE

Cheers,
Lee


>>WHen you 1st recommended it, I read it thoroughly and it does not mention mp4 files only mp3.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI