This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Failed IP Ping test after combofix and other stuff

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have been having very weird things happening with my internet. Only yesterday was I able to connect in normal mode since I removed all of my Antimalware components like Combofix and OTL. I was linked here by an expert from the Spybot forums, who has been helping me clean my PC. Here is the thread - http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=64937 The internet problems didn't start until I removed everything, which happens toward the end of the 2nd page of my previous thread. All the info I have about it is in that thread. I can get online now but Symantec can't update because it says "Traffic has been blocked from this application: Host Process for Windows Services (svchost.exe)". I posted a bunch of logs in the previous thread, and have since run Malwarebytes and ESET again with no threats found. I ran Hitman Pro and it found a bunch of tracking cookies and also a couple suspicious exe files that I looked up and found to be safe. Any ideas?!
Hi, sorry to hear of the problems with your Internet….
Have you tried the following:
1 Boot into safe mode with networking and see if you can connect to your Internet? be careful when doing this as your protections will not be fully up and running to provide a normal level of protection…. Only visit this site:
www.bbc.co.uk
and see if the Internet is responsive.
2 Make a note of yourSymantec AV protection suite serial product number/key and make sure you have the install disc or downloaded executable handy. Then uninstall Symantec and reboot …. Now you can reinstall it again and this may correct the problem for you:
instructions here:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/i…p;id=TECH104790
regards
paws
I could get on in safe mode before, and now I can get on in normal mode, as mentioned in the previous thread. I haven't tried reinstalling symantec, only because I got it from my school when I had to use its internet. They required we download it before we could go online but i dont think i can get it back. Unless the exe is on my comp somewhere. Ill look around. But yeah the main problem now is that symantec isnt working and the ping test failed.
Hi,

I could get on in safe mode before, and now I can get on in normal mode,

Does this mean that your internet is working OK now?
Can you access the following site?
www.bbc.co.uk
Regards
paws
Yeah, it started working again soon before I posted here, but I dont know if the ping test failure is important or not. What do you think?
Hi that's good news that your Internet is working Ok. Well done! :thumbup: we only tend to ping a site or for example a router to check that a network is responding in the way it should….. see if you can ping the bbc…. the command is: ping bbc.co.uk and press the enter key (note the space twixt the g and the b it needs to be there you will need to do this from a command prompt. Were all packets received OK…any lost? Are you still having problems with updating your Symantec protection? Regards paws
All packets were sent/received ok! But yeah, I'm still having no luck with Symantec and my windows update will not work. It needs to install 22 updates, it says it does, and then it says it failed. This is so annoying.
Hi, if your Internet is working Ok then rejoice! Next thing to fix is the Symantec product… The standard fix for this is to uninstall (following all the instructions in my previous link) and then reinstall. it. Just make sure you have a copy of the product serial key and the downloaded execuatble installation file before you start. If for any reason you find it difficult to reinstall the Symantec product ..then consider using one of the free anti virus products that are available MSE available from Microsoft is good, has a small "footprint" uses system resources economically, and has a fine reputation…. Regards paws
So I uninstalled Symantec and got MSE! It seems pretty great, so thanks a ton for the suggestion. I tried the wlan card connection diagnostics and the ip ping test still fails. Also, I can't update using windows update. There are 22 updates it says I need and even if I try only 1, it says they failed. It keeps giving me error code 80070057…
Hi Ok
We will try and do some repairs to your "Windows Update" that seems to have been corrupted, we will also check Protected Windows System Files and carry out a disc integrity check….
1 Please go here:
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windo…all_in_one.html
download the installer version 3.41 Mb
Note if you get a security warning, its Ok to accept!
install the application ( Run)
2 Please go to the tabs (along the top)
Important…please do not use step 1go to step 2 and perform the disc check..click "do it"
your computer will reboot… the disc check will take several hours…DO NOT interrupt it..let it run!
when your computer reboots please use the All in one repair tool and perform
3 Step 3 (System File Check) click "do it"
4 Next perform step 4 (create System Restore Point)
5 Next click on "Repair Windows Advanced mode"
6 click on "start"
7 Remove the checkmark/tick from "Remove Temp Files"
8 Click start
9 when its done then reboot your computer and report back with any error codes etc you receive
Can you now use Win update?
Regards
paws
Hi, OK I understand. For the moment please continue with the rest of the instructions (skip steps 1 and 2 and after we are done I can provide you with the code to initiate the disc integrity check manually..if this seems then to be needed. Report back if the Windows repair has solved the issue with Win Updates…. Regards paws
So step 3 didnt work either, it just got to 27% and said "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation" in the command prompt. I created a system restore point, did the advanced repair, restarted, and my Windows Update is still not working. Not sure whats happening, but its extremely annoying!
WAIT! IT WORKED! I just had to restart with the option to install updates instead of re-downloading the updates! Thank you, sir Paws. Now, how should I do steps 2 and 3?
Ummm wait no, when I go to Windows Update it says they all failed. Right after I restarted, it said there was only a few optional updates available, so I thought it worked, but I checked again and it says they all failed and 22 are available. Scratch that last post.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI