Has anybody come across this one before?
I wanted to check on recent startup events so I opened the Event Viewer. All the events were there, but, in the column Date & Time only Date was showing - no time.
Any idea where its gone and how to get it back
Thanks
Hi pdoth and
You probably cannot get them back because the "Events" already occurred. But you do need to make sure your system date and time is set correctly. You need to verify this in Windows (just check the system tray clock) but also in the BIOS Setup Menu. If not correct in the BIOS Setup Menu, that typically indicates the CMOS battery needs replacing.
Many thanks for the fast reply Bill. System clock and time are fine. When an event occures it should (used to be) visible in the Event Viewer. Each event is given the date and time of the event so that you can identify it.
In my Event Viewer only the Date is showing……………. for some reason the Time readout bit is missing. There is a space there for it, it just isn't showing.
Any ideas how I can track down the culprit?
When an event occures it should (used to be) visible in the Event Viewer. Each event is given the date and time of the event so that you can identify it.
In my Event Viewer only the Date is showing……………. for some reason the Time readout bit is missing. There is a space there for it, it just isn't showing.
I understand how Event Viewer is supposed to work, and I understand from your first post that the timestamp is missing.
Yup………….. no problem there that I can see, same as on the desktop, correct to the second.
pc is only 6months old so I'm "assuming" hardware and battery are OK.
Not sure if this is connected, but, I also noticed my Hybinate option has disappeared from the start button. I've been looking into it and it seems to have something to do with the Sleep option………….. problem is I've tried to switch off the hybrid sleep and I get the message - "refer to Group Policy set by Admin". Well, I'm the Admin and I have never set Group Policy to change any setting.
I'm running W7 Home Premium which doesn't seem to allow you to use Group Policy Editor.
The mystery deepens.
Well, it is possible for these batteries to fail prematurely, but I agree it is probably safe to assume it is good. Hibernate is generally a notebook option. Hybrid is the preferred with a desktop.
Anyway, if you look at one of the events then click on the Details tab then XML View, what does this entry look like?
One of mine looks like this:
One last thought. Click on View then Add/Remove Columns. Select Date and Time then click <-Remove. Close Event Viewer then start it again. Go back into Add/Remove Columns and add Date and Time back, see what shows.
I don't know what the difference is or why it's happening and I can't find anything via Google that helps. Something is corrupted somewhere but what and where I don't know.
My bet would be a registry entry but no idea how to go about figuring out which one.
What happens if you boot to Safe Mode and login as Administrator? What do the Event Viewer entries look like there?
I see you have posted this in several forums, but none provide help. When (if?) this is resolved, please remember to go back to each place you posted with a followup.
Just to make sure we are all on the same page, can you post a screen shot of your problem? Windows 7 own Snipping Tool should work fine.
@Ztrucker - I wonder if SFC will help?
I'll try to post a screen shot………. again. Didn't have much luck the first time.
Already tried SFC (several times). It comes back saying everything is hunkydory.
I'll certainly post back in the sites have contacted so far (I hate it when a thread just fizzles out with no outcome). However, to date it's not looking good for a reply.
Now for a screen shot……………..