I recently got a new PC and cannot seem to find where I placed my Windows 7 CD. Is there a way to retrieve my product number code? I may need to use this number for changes and since I have a recovery disk, but not my code. Does anyone know how I can find my Windows 7 code from my pc?
Thanks!
If this is a name brand system you may not have a windows 7 cd actually. If there is a sticker on the side, back or bottom of the system there is a good chance it was preinstalled. Since you have not stated if this was a custom build or a name brand we really can't give you a definitive answer.
I had it made for me and yes it came with a sticker and paperwork - but that is my problem! I cannot find the paperwork including the sticker. The machine did come with windows 7 - I paid for it and received all the necessary paperwork. Is there a way to retrieve the system information? Is there something I can bring up that will tell me what my serial number is?
Thanks!
The machine did come with windows 7 - I paid for it and received all the necessary paperwork
Just paperwork or did you receive a actual Win7 disk?
I'm sure Digerati will agree with me that though you may be the legal owner of the Win7 disk I'm sure you understand it is hard for us to prove that. Though there is software to retrieve the info you want I'm not comfortable posting that in a open topic where others can use the information for illegal activity. I will await Digerati's and a Mod or Admins input before I can recommend further.
Well I don't know how to prove I am the legal owner. As mentioned, the hard drive came installed with Windows 7 - and also came with the sticker and paperwork. I am not asking for anyone to provide me a serial number, only how to retrieve what is all ready on my pc.
Legally, we can not help you with this.
You could contact who you purchased the pc from or contact MS
Please contact your Microsoft Help and Support worldwide. Go to this page and choose your region from the box in the upper right corner: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=SecurityHome
I had it made for me and yes it came with a sticker and paperwork
Simple solution; Contact the supplier and explain the situation and arrange for a duplicate copy of sticker and paperwork or at least the sticker info. Can't see a problem. Can you?
Simple solution; arrange for a duplicate copy of sticker… .Can't see a problem. Can you?
It is not likely to be that easy. Only one sticker comes with the OEM/System Builders license. If the builder did not write that information down on his copy of the receipt, or photocopy then file the license paperwork with his records, then there is nobody he can call to get that information.
Everything you are saying says you did not receive a disk but only paperwork. There for the hard drive came preinstalled with the OS and is considered a OEM installation. That means you would have to contact the person, company or entity responsible for that installation or purchase a new installation and start completely over.
Belarc Advisor gives that information too - and a whole lot more.
That said, in Windows 7, if you simply right click on Computer and select properties then scroll down to the bottom, the key is listed right there - no need to install or run anything.
I had it made for me
FYI - If you paid someone to build this for you, and part of that purchase included a OEM/System Builders license of Windows, then they were required as the "system builder" by the terms of license to stick that sticker to your case. Also, the terms of that license says that they are required to provide you FREE technical support for Windows for one year.