I'm going to have you run one final scan to make sure we got all the bad guys, then we'll clean up the tools we used and send you on your way
ESET Online Scanner I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
*Note It is recommended to disable onboard antivirus program and antispyware programs while performing scans so there are no conflicts and it will speed up scan time.
Please don't go surfing while your resident protection is disabled!
Once the scan is finished remember to re-enable your antivirus along with your antispyware programs.
Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
ESET OnlineScan
Click the [external image: Posted Image] button.
For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
Click on [external image: Posted Image] to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
Double click on the [external image: Posted Image] icon on your desktop.
Check [external image: Posted Image]
Click the [external image: Posted Image] button.
Accept any security warnings from your browser.
Check [external image: Posted Image]
Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Unchecked
Push the Start button.
ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin
scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
When the scan completes, push [external image: Posted Image]
Push [external image: Posted Image], and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as
ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
The ESET scan is under way. Currently the progress bar shows 11% done, after 6 minutes. So it will be a while.
BUT… so far, so good!
I'm very appreciative.
Steve
Not to worry. These trojans are located within your system restore points. When we uninstall ComboFix, it will set a fresh system restore point, then purge all earlier ones.
Let's proceed with cleanup. Please delete DDS, TDSSKiller and aswMBR from your computer.
Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix
Click START then RUN
Now copy/paste Combofix /uninstall into the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the ..X and the /U, it needs to be there.
Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:
Updates
It is very important that you keep your Operating System and applications up to date so that you will be less susceptible to malware.
It's a good idea to have Windows Update automatically download and install updates as they become available.
FileHippo Update Checker is a great tool that will tell you which of your third party applications need to be updated.
Run Anti-Virus Software
For an excellent list of free anti virus software, free online virus scanners, free spyware detection/removal and free firewalls, click here.
IMPORTANT! Please make sure you only have ONE firewall and ONE real-time antivirus installed on your system.
When using "on demand" scanners, first update the detection signature files, then disconnect from the internet and disable your resident security program before running the scan.
Once complete, remember to re-engage your resident security before going online.
Passwords
It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection.
This is a good time to set up protection against further attacks. In light of your recent problem, I'm sure you'd like to avoid any future infections. Please read these well written articles:
How to Prevent Malware by miekiemoes
PC Safety and Security–What Do I Need?
Additional Software
To help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programs if you do not already have them:
SpywareBlaster prevents the installation of ActiveX-based malware, blocks cookies, and restricts the actions of "bad" sites. See tutorial here
MVPS HOSTS FILE replaces your current HOSTS file with one that will restrict known ad sites from serving you unsolicited advertisements.
Google Chrome is a great alternative to Internet Explorer and Firefox.
Follow these steps, keep your antivirus program and antispyware programs updated, and scan with them on a regular basis. By doing so, your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.
Hopefully this should take care of your problems! Good luck.
Do you have any further questions?
**Please respond one more time to confirm your problem is resolved so I can close this thread.
Good morning NoodleTech:
I completed the removal/uninstall of DDS, TDSSKiller, aswMBR and Combofix per your instructions.
Ready for the next step….
Steve
Well, it certainly has new life! I assume that those files in system restore were removed?
A couple of questions - just exactly where in Antarctica are you? Having a white Christmas in the middle of summer?
Finally, my brother, who has been following along in L.A., wants your opinion about installing SP3 in my XP machine. I did it a few years ago, but it screwed my e-mail software (Eudora). I uninstalled it back to SP2 and have had no problems… current case notwithstanding.
Steve,
Yes! All the old system restore points were automatically deleted when you uninstalled ComboFix.
I am actually located in Los Angeles
I would highly recommend installing SP3 on your machine. It is very important that you keep your system patched and up to date. This will prevent future infections. As I have never used Eudora before, let alone on an XP machine, I cannot comment on whether or not the update will cause problems for it. Perhaps later versions of Eudora have addressed compatibility issues with SP3.
Any further questions?
NoodleTech