I had a virus pop up on me while downloading a movie a couple nights ago from project free tv. My AVG antivirus caught it and moved it to the vault and I deleted it because it scared me. ;-) After all that, my computer wouldn't open up any program files. It kept asking what type of program I'd like to use to open the file and then when I selected a program it tried to download it from the internet. It sounds like it was a trojan. So, I ran Rkill in safe mode and ran malwarebytes and now I still have problems. When I start up my computer it's like someone is trying to access my tcp/ip. Ping.exe is running in my processes.Malwarebytes isn't getting rid of it. Help! How do I fix this thing? I'm about ready to reinstall windows with a fresh copy. It would be easier than this!
Here are the two files you requested. I already have AVG Antivirus installed. I rather not install Avast as you had requested. Would AVG work for you or do you really need Avast?
Michelle
Hi,
Yes, it's an entirely different program, Avast doesn't actually install on your system, aswMBR just uses it's virus definitions,
could you please run aswMBR again and let it run to completion (it appears to have been cut short) give it lots of time to complete
thanks
Download ComboFix from one of the following locations: Link 1 Link 2
VERY IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop
* IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here
Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.
[external image: Posted Image]
Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:
[external image: Posted Image]
Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.
When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply. Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions.
I tried it again with shutting down a few processes. I think it worked this time. Here's the file. I did not try what you had said above. Let me know if you still need me to. At this point, if this doesn't work. I'm reformatting the drive and reinstalling windows.
Michelle
I'm so sorry. I totally forgot that I wasn't supposed to rerun it. It didn't spit out a report so I reran it. I'm sorry . I'm tired and wasn't paying attention. Here's the report from that rerun. The computer is actually working better and I haven't seen ping. exe pop up at all.
Michelle
Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before following the steps below.
They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
Copy/paste the text inside the Codebox below into notepad:
Here's how to do that:
Click Start > Run type Notepad click OK.
This will open an empty notepad file:
Copy all the text inside of the code box - Press Ctrl+C (or right click on the highlighted section and choose 'copy')
DirLook::
C:\System32
ClearJavaCache::
Now paste the copied text into the open notepad - press CTRL+V (or right click and choose 'paste')
Save this file to your desktop, Save this as "CFScript"
Here's how to do that:
1.Click File;
2.Click Save As… Change the directory to your desktop;
3.Change the Save as type to "All Files";
4.Type in the file name: CFScript
5.Click Save …
[external image: Posted Image]
Referring to the screenshot above, drag CFScript.txt into ComboFix.exe.
ComboFix may request an update; please allow it.
ComboFix will now run a scan on your system. It may reboot your system when it finishes. This is normal.
When finished, it shall produce a log for you.
Copy and paste the contents of the log in your next reply.
CAUTION:Do not mouse-click ComboFix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
NEXT
Please open your MalwareBytes AntiMalware Program
Click the Update Tab and search for updates
If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
Make sure that everything is checked, and clickRemove Selected. <– very important
When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note)
The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
NEXT
Go here to run an online scanner from ESET.
Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
Click Start
When asked, allow the activeX control to install
Click Start
Make sure that the option Remove found threats is unticked and the Scan Archives option is ticked.
Click on Advanced Settings, ensure the options Scan for potentially unwanted applications, Scan for potentially unsafe applications, and Enable Anti-Stealth Technology are ticked.
Click Scan
Wait for the scan to finish
When the scan completes, press the LIST OF THREATS FOUND button
Press EXPORT TO TEXT FILE , name the file ESETSCAN and save it to your desktop
Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
Here are the two files. It was too long to take the text from combofix so I just attached text files. I ran ESET and there was nothing reported. It was clean.
Michelle
Visit ADOBE and download the latest version of Acrobat Reader (version X)
Having the latest updates ensures there are no security vulnerabilities in your system.
NEXT
[external image: Posted Image]Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update.
Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 and Save it to your Desktop.
Scroll down to where it says Java SE 6 Update 30
Click the Download button under JRE to the right.
Read the License Agreement then select Accept License Agreement
Click on the link to download Windows x86 Offline and save the file to your desktop.
Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
Go to Start > Control Panel, double-click on Add or Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE or Java™ 6) in the name.
Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u30-windows-i586.exe to install the newest version.
After the install is complete, go into the Control Panel (using Classic View) and double-click the Java Icon. (looks like a coffee cup)
On the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click the Settings button.
Next, click on the Delete Files button
There are two options in the window to clear the cache - Leave BOTH CheckedApplications and Applets
Trace and Log Files
Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
Click OK to leave the Temporary Files Window
Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.
NEXT
Please post a fresh DDS Log and advise how the computer is running now and if there are any outstanding issues
Can't I just click on the Update Java button on the right hand corner of my windows? I was prompted a couple days ago. Just thought I'd wait until I was finished with this. It's for Java 6.
Michelle