This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Can computers read any memory card?

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

HI. I have an Hp pavillion p6140f computer and it looks to have a card reader. I know there are many digital cameras and many memory cards on the market. Could my computer (and really any computer that has a card reader for that matter) read ANY memory card? If it can't how would I find out what memory card it could accept? For instance could it accept a memory card and camera like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190592335134?ssPag…#ht_6916wt_1396

If not could someone suggest a camera and memory card that would work with my computer?

Also can any camera take any memory card as long as it is the correct size? ie A basic 4mb card for a camera that takes 4mb cards. Or are there compatibilty issues I need to know about first? Like for instance would the camera from the link above work with the memory card in this link?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390360460374?ssPag…984.m1438.l2649

Thanks for any help you can give.
Hi Leader2
There are many different types of memory cards and its necessary to check that your card reader can read the card that fits your camera ……
Your HPpavillion p6140f ( if its the one as shown) here:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF…99-3975009.html
is not shown as having a card reader…… however thats not to say that one has not been fitted………

The camera package you linked to supports :
SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card
so you need to check that your card reader supports
the above memory card formats.

Most cameras, including the one you linked to, have mini USB ports so you dont need to get too worried about card readers…….. if you just plug a usb cable twixt camera and computer and then switch on the camera and follow onscreen directions to copy across your photos…this will usually do the job!…….no card reader is required….
Hope this helps
Regards
paws
just to answer your question would that memory card work in your camera, then the answer is no as it is because it's a micro sd card which is much smaller than a normal sd card, but micro sd cards will work if you have a micro to normal sd card adaptor, you fit the micro sd card into the adaptor which looks exactly like a normal sd card then you'd fit that into the camera.

here's a link that shows the adaptor with a micro sd card below it, so you can see the size difference. :- http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q…ed=0CKUBEPMCMAc

to answer the card storage size query, you can use any storage size card upto i believe 32GB with a sdhc memory card.

:popcorn:
Thank you paws and terry for your timely responses. :)

To paws is what you are saying that all I need is the proper usb cable and I don't even need to insert the memory card into the computer at all? Does that also apply to videos as well as picutres being transferred over? What kind of USB cable would I need? Could you give a link to the proper one?

To terry,

So what you are saying is that I could use any memory card except for a micro sd card and it would would work as long it's not over 32 gb in size? For instance I could use a 8 gb card and it would work as long it's not micro sd?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-8-GB-SDHC-Card…#ht_1758wt_1396

Thanks and please let me know. ;)

To paws is what you are saying that all I need is the proper usb cable and I don't even need to insert the memory card into the computer at all?

Yep …that's correct
Most cameras ( but not all) use a standard USB wire (standard connector on one end and a mini USB on the other….. Some cameras will come with the cable as standard….. check with the camera retailer.
Heres the link for further info:
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http…ved=0CCsQ9QEwBg
Regards
paws
the camera you first listed has the usb cable with it, look at the in the box link. yes that 8gb card will work fine in it also. it also comes with a 4gb sd card so you may not need to buy a separate memory card unless you plan on taking a lot of video/pictures. :popcorn:
Thanks guys I appreciate your help so far. Paws I checked the link you gave me in your op. It says Memory card device 15in1 memory card reader. Wouldn't that mean that it does have a card reader? One that can read digital camera memory cards? At least that's what I thought it meant by 15 in 1. Are sure that's not what it means? Thanks and please let me know. :)
I hit the reply button once but somehow this double post appeared. Paws you can delete it. Thank you.
No problem paws. It was an honest mistake. I appreciate you guys' help. Btw are digital cameras difficult to use? I mean I'm so use to just point and shoot like with throwaways. Do digital cameras require a lot of practice before you can use them easily? Please let me know so I can know what to expect, because I've never used a digital camera before. Thanks again for your help. :)
I read your reply when it was it was first posted and thanks, but I also wanted to let you know we share the same birthday terry! I was just born 17 years later. LOL! Just thought I would get that off my chest. As always thanks you guys for the great advice. This will come in useful when I get a camera. :D
Wow. I had never thought about that before. I don't think it's a problem for me either now Terry. You have and paws have been great friends. I wish I could meet you guys in person and pick your brains some more. Btw how is it over there in England? Is it really cold and how is your economy. I live in Michigan. It's pretty cold here and the economy is probably about the worst in the nation.
Hi Leader2 :thumbup: Terry and I are sunbathing in the beautiful sunshine as we speak……(it's a sweltering 39 degrees F at the moment!) Must go now as our chauffeur has just arrived with our Rolls Royces….to take us off to breakfast at the Ritz………………………..(not) As to the economy…who do you think is keeping the Euro afloat? (actually I think its China, India, Brazil and Russia) :rofl: All good wishes to you Leader2 and all the good folks of Michigan. Regards paws