This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can Kernel be installed separately from OS?

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi all, I just want to know if kernel can be installed separately from Operating System in any of the PC Operating System(Windows, Mac, etc). As far as I know, kernel is basically Device Drivers and that is usually bundled with OS and cannot be installed separately. We can install additional device drivers to support additional device (like new disk drive, keyboard etc), however, we cannot change basic drivers that are supported by OS. This query came to my mind as I come to know that this is possible in Android ( Operating System for Smartphones)
no the kernel is the os (operating system), or i should say the os is usually a kernal plus a gui.(graphical user interface(the desktop environment)). it's the gui that most people think of as being the os because that's what they see when they use a computer, smartphone etc. you can run a pc with just a kernel and no gui using a command line interface. with linx os there are a number of different gui that we can choose from, gnome or kde for example that we can install ontop of the kernel. :popcorn:
Thanks for the reply Terry.

However, in a separate forum for Android, I asked the same query. Please take a look at the below link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread…84#post18506584

There, the response is:

Afaik the OS runs on top of the kernel. So, whether it is a phone or a PC, if the kernel is compiled with the specific hardware modules it can be changed separately from the OS. I don't know how to do it in windows but have tried it in Ubuntu!

I know that Ubuntu is a form of Linux so is it possible in Linux to install kernel and GUI separately?
like i've already said the kernel IS the os and it's the gui that runs ontop of it, that most people think of as being the os because that's what the interact with. when you update the kernel your updating the os, when you update the gui your updating what the see on screen, and yes it is possible to update the gui seperatly, it's also possible to have a number of gui's installed at once and choose which you want to use. :popcorn:
yes..Thanks Terry I also agree with what your thoughts are but just wanted to confirm this…that is why I posted this..

As you see in the below post:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread…84#post18506584

There, the response is:

Afaik the OS runs on top of the kernel. So, whether it is a phone or a PC, if the kernel is compiled with the specific hardware modules it can be changed separately from the OS. I don't know how to do it in windows but have tried it in Ubuntu!

Do you agree with this response?
Thanks Terry. I fully agree with what you are saying but got confused by what is said on that forum. Actually, the issue is that: You can install kernel and OS separately on Android (Platform for Smartphones). That is why, I got confused that how is it possible in phones when it is not basically possible in PCs. That was my query in that forum to which I got a response that it is possible in Ubuntu. Then, I decided to confirm this piece of knowledge in this forum (which I trust :))
Hi vijay.gupta, The only practical way of achieving your objective is to reinstall the Windows operating system…… I know of no way of inserting or installing seperately into a Windows installation a kernel, other than by a reinstall….. or By infecting a system with a kernel level driver (ie a rootkit type approach) and for obvious reasons that's not a route we would feel happy discussing on the forum… I'm sure you understand. Regards paws
Yes, I understand Paws. I don't want to do that, however, this was only for knowledge sake as I already said that this is done in Android to rectify specific problem. In parallel to this, my confusion was whether this can be done in Windows or any other OS running on PC to you said it is not possible. Am I correct? Also, I also thought the same as yours but got confused by the reply of the person in other forum that it can be done on Ubuntu.
it depends on what you think of as the os, vijay.

the kernel is the software that communicates directly with the hardware and the software running above it.
now if you think the os is the software running above the kernel(what i think of as the gui) then yes you can update that separately, and is done often with patches or service packs.

with a windows pc the kernel is called windows nt, and then the gui runs ontop of that, vista,win7.
so when you install say the win7 os what your installing is both the nt kernel and it's win7 gui.

yes it is possible to update a linux kernel easy enough.
google search:- http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=security+…101&bih=946

no it's not so easy to update a windows kernel because it's owned by microsoft, yes it can be updated and is what the security patches and service packs often do.

:popcorn:
An Operating System consists of many components. The Kernel is the lowest level and most important component of the operating system. A kernel, by itself, will do nothing. Its the part of the operating system that manages resource usage, and hardware communications. Along with the other components of the operating system you are able to run software applications, a graphical interface, save and load files, etc. Android is an Operating System that runs a Linux kernel. Each component of the operating system can be changed, or updated as long as they are compatible with each other but the system will not operate without all components working together including the kernel. This allows an operating system like Android to run the same, or slightly different versions of the Linux kernel on many different types of phone hardware while providing a completely customizable user interface and foundation for phone manufacturers and wireless service providers. These components are installed together and cannot be installed separately because they are all required to be working together properly before you can even press the ENTER key, or click anything. After the system is operational, it is likely possible that various components of the operating system, including the kernel can then be updated, or modified. This is the main reason there are 50 million combinations and flavors of Linux, most of which are so drastically different that they aren't compatible with each other and the main reason it will never be a mainstream operating system. After all, have you ever had an Android phone actually run 100% properly? Or not have more bugs everytime they release an update? Or not spend 30 minutes or more trying to install anything on Linux - when you finally find the version that works for YOUR particular combination of components called an Operating System. And lastly, this is the reason why Windows IS the predominent operating system on the market - because you don't have to know, or care about anything we just discussed. You gotta love it….
Thanks Terry, Paws and Appleoddity for explanation in such a great depth.

Just want to correct myself that I doesn't meant to install kernel separately. I meant that if OS is installed, is it possible that kernel be updated or reinstalling (]for the end user) without reinstalling whole of OS as it is possible in Android.

Now, I got the answer to this that it is possible in Linux. Is this possible in Unix?

Thanks once again guys. Appreciate your help.
I imagine structurally, unix is much like Linux - but ultimately its an operating system consisting of several components just like any other operating system. Many things are possible - but maybe not feasible.
I think this is what your looking for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MinWin

Work started with Vista to componentize the Windows operating system. Allowing features to be plugged in or removed. It resulted in a very small core, or kernel. Eventually we'll likely see the same kernel in everything…. Windows phone, tablets, Windows 8, Server 8, and the next generation Xbox.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI