This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

What's going on?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

A member on this site helped me stop my computer from freezing numerous times about a few weeks ago. Then today all of a sudden when I turn on my computer, everything froze in an instant. Like none of the programs that were suppose to turn on after i turn on my computer popped up. Everything just froze. And I tried restarting my computer but it wouldn't restart. So I pulled out the plug and turned it on again. Then the same thing happened? I don't know what's going on. When I turn on my computer and put in my password and everything, it just goes to my desktop and freezes and you can't press any icons. This happened about 3 times. So I resorted to going on safemode. Is there something wrong with my computer? Why is this happening?
Hello contemplator and welcome back to the WTT forum.

My name is Satchfan and I would be glad to help you with your computer problem.

Please read the following guidelines which will help to make cleaning your machine easier:
  • please follow all instructions in the order posted
  • please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear
  • all logs/reports, etc. must be posted in Notepad. Please ensure that word wrap is unchecked. In Notepad click Format, uncheck Word wrap if it is checked
  • if you don't understand something, please don't hesitate to ask for clarification before proceeding
  • the fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
  • please reply within 3 days. If you do not reply within this period I will post a reminder but topics with no reply in 4 days will be closed!
IMPORTANT:

Please DO NOT install/uninstall any programs unless asked to.
Please DO NOT run any scans other than those requested

================================================

As you can’t enter normal mode, you can try Safe mode with Networking

Run OTL

download OTL and save it to your desktop.
  • double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted
  • when the window appears, underneath Output at the top change it to Minimal Output
  • check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check
  • click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan won’t take long
  • when the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt.
Note: These logs can be located in the OTL. folder on you C:\ drive if they fail to open automatically.

Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post them with your next reply. You may need two posts to fit them both in.

Satchfan
Hello contemplator It has been several days since I posted instructions to help with your computer problem. Please let me know if you are having problems and still need help. Thanks Satchfan

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI