Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Remove Babylon search from IE8!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Bob-o-rama

Bob-o-rama

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

Even if you remove the software from the computer, in IE it will still let babylon search as the default site for new tabs in the browser.

I donīt know if it is possible to find it in any menu in IE (at least I didnīt), but you can change it in the windows registry.

Open a dos shell, or execute "RegEdit" through the launch menu.

Find the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\About URLs\Tabs

and change the entry that points to babylon search, to the one you desire (be it google, bing, or whatever) or by the default ( res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm ).

I am confident this will do what u wanted to do...

Thanks a lot. It worked for me..... :)

Kamakshi Suram

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Bob-o-rama

Bob-o-rama

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

Even if you remove the software from the computer, in IE it will still let babylon search as the default site for new tabs in the browser.

I donīt know if it is possible to find it in any menu in IE (at least I didnīt), but you can change it in the windows registry.

Open a dos shell, or execute "RegEdit" through the launch menu.

Find the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\About URLs\Tabs

and change the entry that points to babylon search, to the one you desire (be it google, bing, or whatever) or by the default ( res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm ).

I am confident this will do what u wanted to do...

Thanks a lot. It worked for me..... :)
-------------------------

Noob mistake resulting in my answer to my answer....

I don't know if I was dealing with Babylon, but I had a search toolbar that wouldn't clear with the menu. I wound up uninstalling Firefox and re-installing. I wish I had found this registry key solution first!
I had the same search site in IE8 as well, but was able to clear that restoring IE to defaults.
I don't know if I got it on the old xp machine my kids use as I was updating firefox or whether one of the kids' games sites infected it.
I will remember the registry though going forward. Thanks!

#18 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

Dont forget that before editing the Registry its important to back it up first....(even a small mistake operating from within regedit can render your machine unbootable...) Always set a System Restore Point and also use a good Registry back up tool... Erunt is good (see post 5 of this thread) for a link Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#19 Babylon Support

Babylon Support

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:43 AM

In order to Remove Babylon easily please visit our special "How to remove Babylon" website:

http://www.babylon.c...search/explorer

you can also use these instructions:

• Uninstall the Babylon in Programs and Features.
• Check if the babylon Toolbar is still there in Tools>Manage Add-ons>Toolbars and extentions, if it still there, disable that(select and hit disable button)
• Remove the Babylon homepage(Tools>Internet Options> general>Homepage(change it towww.google.com or use blank).
• Check if the babylon is raising up when we open a new tab in the same window( Click on add tab in the Internet explorer)
• if it is comming up:
• Take a Regestry Backup and follow the steps:
• Windows+R on desktop> Type Regedit and hit ok button> Select computers> hit Ctrl+F> Type Babylon in the search box and hit "Find Next" button.
• That brings up the Babylon regestry control just Delete it(Hit Del and Enter),Search again(Just hit F3) and delete all the babylon controls.
• Repeat the above step untill search says: "Finished Searching through the Regestry" when you hit F3.
• Click ok button.
• Restart the computer(Optional)

Cheers
Babylon Support
support@babylon.com

#20 Bob-o-rama

Bob-o-rama

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Dont forget that before editing the Registry its important to back it up first....(even a small mistake operating from within regedit can render your machine unbootable...)

Always set a System Restore Point and also use a good Registry back up tool... Erunt is good (see post 5 of this thread) for a link

Regards
paws

Thanks! I will have to check out Erunt. Hadn't heard of it before finding this site.