This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Remove Babylon search from IE8!

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi all, I am getting babylon search in the top right hand side search box in IE8. That is very annoying and I want to remove it. Also, when I type anything in address bar in IE8 and press Enter key, it shows me the results for babylon search. I dont want that. Can anyone please help me in removing these options? I removed Babylon Toolbar from Control Panel and fixed Firefox but I am unable to fix IE8. Please help me!! :o
Hi Vijay.gupta, From what you write, it seems you've already taken the steps in the following link, but please have a look anyway to confirm. Now you still have "Babylon" appearing as the default search engine in the upper- right corner of your IE 8. Correct? You can use the down-arrow to the right of that box and to the right of the magnifying symbol, to see your other search engine options. If need be you can "add" other search engine options, then select one to use as default. Does that take care of the problem for you?
Thanks doug for the reply. Actually, this issue is happening on my laptop in my native place. I work outside of my native place and will remain here on weekdays. Generally, I go to my native place on weekends. So, can you please keep this thread open till then? I wil ltry these steps and let you know if these steps resolve the issue. Also, can you please let me know, how to backup and restore the registry?
Hi vijay.gupta,
The thread will remain open…. :thumbup:
A good method of Registry backup is to use Erunt…… here's the link.
Regards
paws
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
Thanks paws, I knew ERUNT but I didn't know that it does restore function also. I will read FAQ about how to use it and let you know if there is any issue as I am using Win7 and I think it doesn't support it.
sorry doug for the late reply. I tried the steps provided in the last url but the result is same. I am still getting babylon as default search provider in IE.
Even if you remove the software from the computer, in IE it will still let babylon search as the default site for new tabs in the browser. I don´t know if it is possible to find it in any menu in IE (at least I didn´t), but you can change it in the windows registry. Open a dos shell, or execute "RegEdit" through the launch menu. Find the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\About URLs\Tabs and change the entry that points to babylon search, to the one you desire (be it google, bing, or whatever) or by the default ( res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm ). I am confident this will do what u wanted to do…

Even if you remove the software from the computer, in IE it will still let babylon search as the default site for new tabs in the browser.

I don´t know if it is possible to find it in any menu in IE (at least I didn´t), but you can change it in the windows registry.

Open a dos shell, or execute "RegEdit" through the launch menu.

Find the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\About URLs\Tabs

and change the entry that points to babylon search, to the one you desire (be it google, bing, or whatever) or by the default ( res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm ).

I am confident this will do what u wanted to do…


Thanks
I have just been through various processes to remove Babylon SEARCH from IE8 on Win XP.

Last step first. After removing everything possible, Babylon Search still appeared whenever a new tab was opened in IE8 I actually contacted Babylon support and was advised to change the setting of the TABS option in Internet Options. With other steps, Babylon now appears to be eliminated, I hope.

SpyBot Search & Destroy located Babylon settings & removed them, except for the Internet Options Tabs setting. I recommend http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html to you.

I gave a donation via PayPal for the success of the software.
Near the end of the process of removing Babylon Search, I decided to contact support. If all else fails ….

I was provided with a page of instructions for various removal options. I grabbed the text screen as a JPEG image, however, it is too large to be uploaded. Sorry I did not copy the text.

An obvious option in trying to remove Babylon is to go to their interactive support site. http://support.babylon.com/

For such an intrusive painful product, they were unexpectedly cooperative.
Hi, I was getting the same problem where my search would default to Babylon even though Ihad set it up for Google and removed Babylon from my program list. I don't know how to look or change anything too technical so as a stop-gap I have changed my new tabs to open as the first tab by going into internet options and doing the following general tabs settings select first home page (which I have set to Google) when new tab is opened I still have to problem but don't know what else to do

If not, the following link provides a solution that involves Registry Editing.
As always, you should backup your registry prior to making changes, so that you can restore if you do not like the result.

Have a look here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/foru…4f-c56665530ccc

This solution did not work for me. Still end up with Babylon Search in a tabbed search request. Have been successful in removing it from all other search mechanisms. OS is windows xp media center, service pack 3. :pullhair:

Even if you remove the software from the computer, in IE it will still let babylon search as the default site for new tabs in the browser.

I don´t know if it is possible to find it in any menu in IE (at least I didn´t), but you can change it in the windows registry.

Open a dos shell, or execute "RegEdit" through the launch menu.

Find the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\About URLs\Tabs

and change the entry that points to babylon search, to the one you desire (be it google, bing, or whatever) or by the default ( res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm ).

I am confident this will do what u wanted to do…


Thanks a lot. It worked for me….. :)

Kamakshi Suram

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI