Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Remove Babylon search from IE8!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 vijay.gupta

vijay.gupta

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:17 AM

Hi all, I am getting babylon search in the top right hand side search box in IE8. That is very annoying and I want to remove it. Also, when I type anything in address bar in IE8 and press Enter key, it shows me the results for babylon search. I dont want that. Can anyone please help me in removing these options? I removed Babylon Toolbar from Control Panel and fixed Firefox but I am unable to fix IE8. Please help me!! :o

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

Hi Vijay.gupta, From what you write, it seems you've already taken the steps in the following link, but please have a look anyway to confirm. Now you still have "Babylon" appearing as the default search engine in the upper- right corner of your IE 8. Correct? You can use the down-arrow to the right of that box and to the right of the magnifying symbol, to see your other search engine options. If need be you can "add" other search engine options, then select one to use as default. Does that take care of the problem for you?
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

If not, the following link provides a solution that involves Registry Editing.
As always, you should backup your registry prior to making changes, so that you can restore if you do not like the result.

Have a look here:
http://answers.micro...4f-c56665530ccc
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#4 vijay.gupta

vijay.gupta

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:07 AM

Thanks doug for the reply. Actually, this issue is happening on my laptop in my native place. I work outside of my native place and will remain here on weekdays. Generally, I go to my native place on weekends. So, can you please keep this thread open till then? I wil ltry these steps and let you know if these steps resolve the issue. Also, can you please let me know, how to backup and restore the registry?

#5 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:59 AM

Hi vijay.gupta,
The thread will remain open.... :thumbup:
A good method of Registry backup is to use Erunt...... here's the link.
Regards
paws
http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#6 vijay.gupta

vijay.gupta

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:13 AM

Thanks paws, I knew ERUNT but I didn't know that it does restore function also. I will read FAQ about how to use it and let you know if there is any issue as I am using Win7 and I think it doesn't support it.

#7 vijay.gupta

vijay.gupta

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:11 AM

sorry doug for the late reply. I tried the steps provided in the last url but the result is same. I am still getting babylon as default search provider in IE.

#8 yogeshhooda

yogeshhooda

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

Even if you remove the software from the computer, in IE it will still let babylon search as the default site for new tabs in the browser. I donīt know if it is possible to find it in any menu in IE (at least I didnīt), but you can change it in the windows registry. Open a dos shell, or execute "RegEdit" through the launch menu. Find the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\About URLs\Tabs and change the entry that points to babylon search, to the one you desire (be it google, bing, or whatever) or by the default ( res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm ). I am confident this will do what u wanted to do...

#9 duytan1aki

duytan1aki

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

Even if you remove the software from the computer, in IE it will still let babylon search as the default site for new tabs in the browser.

I donīt know if it is possible to find it in any menu in IE (at least I didnīt), but you can change it in the windows registry.

Open a dos shell, or execute "RegEdit" through the launch menu.

Find the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\About URLs\Tabs

and change the entry that points to babylon search, to the one you desire (be it google, bing, or whatever) or by the default ( res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm ).

I am confident this will do what u wanted to do...

Thanks

#10 ArchieB2

ArchieB2

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

I have just been through various processes to remove Babylon SEARCH from IE8 on Win XP.

Last step first. After removing everything possible, Babylon Search still appeared whenever a new tab was opened in IE8 I actually contacted Babylon support and was advised to change the setting of the TABS option in Internet Options. With other steps, Babylon now appears to be eliminated, I hope.

SpyBot Search & Destroy located Babylon settings & removed them, except for the Internet Options Tabs setting. I recommend http://www.safer-net...home/index.html to you.

I gave a donation via PayPal for the success of the software.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 ArchieB2

ArchieB2

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

Near the end of the process of removing Babylon Search, I decided to contact support. If all else fails ....

I was provided with a page of instructions for various removal options. I grabbed the text screen as a JPEG image, however, it is too large to be uploaded. Sorry I did not copy the text.

An obvious option in trying to remove Babylon is to go to their interactive support site. http://support.babylon.com/

For such an intrusive painful product, they were unexpectedly cooperative.

#12 Shazzy

Shazzy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:21 AM

Hi, I was getting the same problem where my search would default to Babylon even though Ihad set it up for Google and removed Babylon from my program list. I don't know how to look or change anything too technical so as a stop-gap I have changed my new tabs to open as the first tab by going into internet options and doing the following general tabs settings select first home page (which I have set to Google) when new tab is opened I still have to problem but don't know what else to do

#13 jimdance

jimdance

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

If not, the following link provides a solution that involves Registry Editing.
As always, you should backup your registry prior to making changes, so that you can restore if you do not like the result.

Have a look here:
http://answers.micro...4f-c56665530ccc

This solution did not work for me. Still end up with Babylon Search in a tabbed search request. Have been successful in removing it from all other search mechanisms. OS is windows xp media center, service pack 3. :pullhair:

#14 Kamakshi Suram

Kamakshi Suram

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:23 AM

Even if you remove the software from the computer, in IE it will still let babylon search as the default site for new tabs in the browser.

I donīt know if it is possible to find it in any menu in IE (at least I didnīt), but you can change it in the windows registry.

Open a dos shell, or execute "RegEdit" through the launch menu.

Find the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\About URLs\Tabs

and change the entry that points to babylon search, to the one you desire (be it google, bing, or whatever) or by the default ( res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm ).

I am confident this will do what u wanted to do...

Thanks a lot. It worked for me..... :)

Kamakshi Suram

#15 BennyChristensen

BennyChristensen

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

Thumbs up - nice fix - it worked for me as well. XP IE8. :D