I'm looking to upgrade my video card, my machine came with only a 250w psu though. So I'm going to assume I need to upgrade that first before worrying about a video card.
My goal is to increase my FPS in world of warcraft and potentially be able to run some of the latest FPS games. I'm certainly no wiz when it comes to computers, when it comes to PSU's I get very confused. I've been looking online for a PSU that will fit my machine that is at least 500w (assuming that will be enough for whatever card I choose). The thing that confused me bad here in looking for a PSU is all the pins and connectors needed in the PSU, I have no idea how to search for what I need rather than just scrolling through PSU's on a parts website.
If someone could give me a direct link to a PSU and graphics card that I need to achieve my goals listed above, that would be amazing.
But yeah basically what I'm asking of someone.
Find PSU and Graphics card that will work in my machine listed above, give me a direct link to it so I can just buy it and put it in my computer. I've been looking online for the last 10 hours and my brain hurts…. PLEASE someone help me out.
Can you explain the reason you chose those two components? Obviously you were looking for something for my machine, but any reason why you chose those over other products?
Just curious, doesn't really matter to me though :).
Thank you so much for your help seriously, very much appreciated.
I didn't realize your initial post was one of your first here,
So welcome to WTT Jimmy513
The PSU is a very good one, When you upgrade to your next PC you will be glad you have it as almost all (but not all) PC's come with no-name rubbish PSU's. The PSU I own is now into it's 2nd. PC and will probably outlast me.
The card, well it's a bargain and will play just about any game on reasonable settings. I of course could have gone up one and recommended a 5770 or a 450 but add another $80 or so and it's probably more than you need and maybe more than the case and hardware was designed to get the most from (waste of money).
Going by the specs. of your PC, the video card suits. The PC unit was never designed as a "gaming" PC but can do so quite well if you don't select a card your PC was never designed to handle.
Of course you are free to chose any PSU and Video Card you like as these are only my suggestions. I think you will be quite surprised and happy with the results.
Cheers,
Lee
Keep an eye on your temps. after you install the new hardware. The 500W PSU will be fine as it's has an "80 Bronze" certificate and won't even work up a sweat. But the Video Card with add heat so install SpeedFan to check your temps. (don't mess with the adjustment settings in SpeedFan).
You should be OK with that card, but you can return here if you need advice about adding another fan.
Keep an eye on your temps. after you install the new hardware. The 500W PSU will be fine as it's has an "80 Bronze" certificate and won't even work up a sweat. But the Video Card with add heat so install SpeedFan to check your temps. (don't mess with the adjustment settings in SpeedFan).
You should be OK with that card, but you can return here if you need advice about adding another fan.
Cheers,
Lee
Got the parts installed and they work AMAZING, thanks so much Lee.
I may need to install another fan or some sort of cooling device though, it does seem to get a little hot. Right now I've got the side off my case and a house fan blowing on it, just a temporary fix.
I'm currently running world of warcraft on ultra settings at 60fps, before the upgrade the game advised me to run "fair" settings and I was getting around 19fps. Lovin it now.
Currently installing COD: Black Ops to see how that runs, thanks again Lee.
Hi Jimmy,
Glad to hear that you are having a good time
See what extra fan slots are in your case.
Standard fan sizes are 60mm, 80 mm, 92mm, and 120mm, They are square and are measured horizontally (or vertically) from the outer edges of the screw holes.. Antec and Arctic make good fans as do many others, but the best for me are Scythe fans (great bearings and ultra low noise). You basically get what you pay for.
The other or extra cooling option is to get a 3rd. party Video Card Cooler that fits your card. They come from $12 to $80. Arctic make some very good whisper quite ones (single, double or even triple fan) as do many other brands. A single fan cooler along with a tube of Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound for the card chip to cooler base contact will make a heck of a difference to your cooling. Arctic coolers will fit almost any card but you have to be careful with some coolers.
Cheers,
Lee
Here is a pic of whats going on in there right now.
[external image: Posted Image]
As you can see its sort of a cluster. No extra fan slots on the case, but the side panel is vented. I was thinking of maybe using some kind of glue to attach a fan to the vents on the side panel. Also, all the fans currently in my case, none are sucking air into the case, is it not good to have a fan pulling air in?
[external image: Posted Image]
I've pretty much reached the end of my budget with this computer, but I've got a few extra fans from previous computers laying around.
Oh and I purchased a new monitor (which put me at the end of my budget). With my video card having the HDMI slot I felt the need to buy a monitor with one aswell, so I could take advantage of that option. Here is the one I choose. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16824236051
You should have one fan at the rear or top extracting air and the others should be sucking it in (turn them around).
If you have a fan where the screw holes are a bit larger than the side vent, I'd be at it with a drill to make 4 screw holes for some self-taping screws to hold the fan in place.
As the vent is not square, mount the fan to the left or right on the vent closest to the video card and then glue something on the exposed side of the vent to block it off if the fan doesn't cover the whole vent.
You could tidy up that cabling in the photo with some cable ties and try and budget for this video card cooler.
No, I don't like the "tiny" fans, which means "noisy". The larger the fan the quieter it will be because it spins slower to produce the same amount of air (over a larger surface too). Apart from that, I note they are "out of stock".
do you actually need extra cooling anyway? what are your cpu + gpu temps? extra cooling is always good but if they are within usual parameters why ruin your manufacturers guarantee by fixing an aftermarket cooler that by the way in the process of fitting you could permanently ruin the video card anyway.
I may need to install another fan or some sort of cooling device though, it does seem to get a little hot. Right now I've got the side off my case and a house fan blowing on it, just a temporary fix.
A new desktop never made for gaming with poor cooling and nowhere to add another case fan.. A gaming card now added to what was integrated video only.