Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Firefox using 100% memory

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Pharm

Pharm

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:12 PM

I don't know what I did but the problem is evidently fixed. The only thing that I did was to uninstall my virus protection (Microsoft Security Essentials) for some unrelated problem I was having. After that I looked at the task manager and the firefox.exe process was gone. I wish I knew what one had to do with the other but that will probably remain a secret. So unless the firefox file pops up again I guess this problem is closed. Thanks to whatthetech? for all their patience and help. I'm sure I'll be back again before too long.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:13 PM

I hope you are not running without anti-virus protection? Did you reinstall MSE after this?

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#18 Pharm

Pharm

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:57 AM

I switched over to Avast. Maybe it will have fewer side effects. Any opinions on Avast?

#19 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:22 PM

I like MSE better but Avast is a good choice. If you have the version that talks to you and don't like it (I dislike talking software of any kind) you can disable it via Options.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown