BJ2011,
.ini files are initialization files. You are seeing them because we asked hidden files to be shown while looking for malware.
When attempting to run chkdsk… you should get the message about scheduling for next restart… just like you got. Typing Y is the correct thing to do. At that point, you should reboot your system and chkdsk will run. It will likely take an hour - maybe more - to run.
There is obviously something wrong in your system… but I'm not convinced it's malware. However, I'm fairly certain that the Tech Team would have your run chkdsk also, so I believe it is worth a try.
Hi, Tomk!
I guess all those attempts I made on yesterday is now taking place on my laptop as the chkdsk is starting and stopping. It gets to stage 1 of 5 (about 5%) and it stops in Stage 1. It says 100378 of 171254 of stage one and stop and restarts the chkdsk scan all over again.
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label of Gateway.
One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue. Windows will now check the disk.
CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)…
5 percent complete. ( 100376 of 171264 file records processed).
this is the latest check as of this post.
Then it seems as if nothing is happening.
Alrighty… before we move on to trying some other things. I'd like you to start chkdsk… just like you've been trying to… and let it run overnight to see if it really freezing… or just hanging at a certain spot for awhile.
Give it a go and let me know.
Ok, I am trying to let it run now. I haven't powered my laptop on for about 6 hours. I powered it on around 1am and it has been trying to run chkdsk. When I powered it on this time it said it was checking stage 1 of 3. However, that didn't go through either. It stop and restarted the check almost 5 minutes into the check and it is till holding at 5% being checked.
At this point (2:22am) it has been stopping and restarting my system atleast 10 times. Sometimes the scan gets up to 99576 read files and one time it got up to 100379 files read. I have also been getting the blue screen with a code. However, as soon as that blue screen shows up it goes away in seconds. I will leave it on all night to see if the scan actually completes itself.
Just reporting in. My laptop still has not gotten past stage 1 of this chkdsk scan. It has gotten up to 106,00 file record segments of the 171264 segments. I can say that I have noticed that above 100365 is all saying that the files are unreadable. Please advise on another solutions to get the same result from the chkdsk scan.
Thx,
There isn't actually anything else that does exactly what chkdsk does.
Please clarify for me… chkdsk is extremely slow… but is actually working its way through your harddrive?
Yes, it is scanning at different speeds. At the beginning stage it scans at a fast speed up to 100000, after that it seems to hang up or I suppose is having a hard time reading the next file record segment because that is when it is saying that file is unreadable. It actually started zooming through the numbers around 6pm yesterday when I was heading out for my walk but when I got back the laptop had restarted the scan all over again. I didn't see any report either.
BJ2011,
We are becoming concerned that there you might be looking at some sort of a catastrophic failure. Stop trying to run chkdsk, and get your data backup up ASAP. Once you've done that, let me know and we will try some further testing.
Hi, TomK!
I have 2 flashdrives with data backup on them already from May and June.. I tried running a backup on July 8 and received this report.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\ADavis\Documents because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Public\Documents because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\ADavis\Music because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Public\Music because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\ADavis\Pictures because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Public\Pictures because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\ADavis\Videos because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Public\Videos because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\ADavis\AppData\Roaming because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\ADavis\AppData\Local because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\ADavis\AppData\LocalLow because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\ADavis\Contacts because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\ADavis\Desktop because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\ADavis\Downloads because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\ADavis\Favorites because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\ADavis\Links because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\ADavis\Saved Games because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\ADavis\Searches because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Guest\Documents because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Public\Documents because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Guest\Music because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Public\Music because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Guest\Pictures because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Public\Pictures because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Guest\Videos because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Public\Videos because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Guest\AppData\Roaming because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Guest\AppData\Local because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Guest\AppData\LocalLow because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Guest\Contacts because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Guest\Desktop because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Guest\Downloads because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Guest\Favorites because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Guest\Links because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Guest\Saved Games because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Guest\Searches because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
Yep. Those are the things I was thinking of. Glad to hear you've got them protected.
Now… we need to know what kind of hard drives is in your laptop.
Press Start and then select Control Panel. Then choose System and Security and then Device Manager.
Once in the Device Manager, click on the "+" in front of Disk Drives. Information on your hard drive should show up. Please let me know what it says… most importantly is what brand.
Hi, Tomk!
Disk Drives: WDC WD3200BPVT-22ZEST0 Properties. Driver Provider: Microsoft Driver Date: 6/21/2006 Driver Version: 6.1.7600.16385
After turning my laptop on this morning, I received a message that my Intel Rapid Storage Technology was down. It is working now. Not sure if that is valuable info or not. But I do feel as if my laptop is about to crash real soon.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI