This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

How can I know if my laptop is infested?

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

How can I know if my laptop is infested with adware,spyware,malware ? Its' Symptoms ? Can I know of spying ? ? Mouse arrow flicker inconsistently while visiting certain sites(not ****). Some pop ups do not go easily. Though I hv antivirus installed
Hello warrenkirby328 and Welcome to WhatTheTech Forums

My name is BlackPegasus.

  • Malware Logs can sometimes take a lot of time to research and interpret.
  • Please be patient while I try to assist with your problem. If at any time you do not understand what is required, please ask for
    further explanation.
  • Please note that there is no "Quick Fix" to modern malware infections and we may need to use several different approaches to
    get your system clean.
  • Read every reply you receive carefully and thoroughly before carrying out the instructions. You may also find it helpful to print out
    the instructions you receive, as in some instances you may have to disconnect your computer from the Internet.
  • PLEASE NOTE: If you do not reply after 3 days your thread will be closed.
  • Please be aware that I am still in training, and all of my replies to you will be checked for accuracy by one of our experts to
    ensure that I am giving you the best possible advice.
  • This may cause a delay in response time, but I will do my best to keep it as short as possible.
  • I will reply back shortly with instructions.
Hello warrenkirby328,


Please be advised, as I am still in training, all my replies to you will be checked for accuracy by one of our experts to ensure that I am giving you the best possible advise, this will be a team effort.
This may cause a delay, but I will do my best to keep it as short as possible. Please bear with me, I will post back to you as soon as I can.


IMPORTANT NOTE : Please do not delete anything unless instructed to.
DO NOT use any TOOLS such as Combofix or HijackThis fixes without supervision. Doing so could make your system inoperable and could require a full reinstall of your Operating System and losing all your programs and data.

Vista and Windows 7 users:

These tools MUST be run from the executable. (.exe) every time you run them
with Admin Rights (Right click, choose "Run as Administrator")

====================

  • Download OTL to your desktop.
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • When the window appears, underneath Output at the top change it to Minimal Output.
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt.
    Note:These logs can be located in the OTL. folder on you C:\ drive if they fail to open automatically.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply. You may need two posts to fit them both in.

NEXT
Please download aswMBR ( 511KB ) to your desktop.
  • Double click the aswMBR.exe icon to run it
  • Click the Scan button to start the scan
  • On completion of the scan, click the save log button, save it to your desktop and post it in your next reply.

====================
Please include in your next reply:
1. Any problem executing the instructions?
2. OTL log and Extras.Txt
3. aswMBR log

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI