Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Launchpad.exe

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:34 AM

I have just bought 3 x 2GB Sandisk flash drives and on putting the first one into a usb on the pc, files had to be extracted from it. I didn't recognize the Launcepad.exe or the Launch U3.exe and went looking for them on google. The opinions I read were that a lot knew Launchpad was from their Sandisk flash drive and that it started when it was in use and stopped when flash drive not in use and that it wasn't malware. Someone else said Lauchpad.exe had just tried to access the internet and didn't think it should be doing that. Others thought it malware and to get rid of it altogether. Anyone else got an opinion on this process? I found a Sandisk website with the Launch U3 info on it. When I clicked on the .exe to install it a message box came up. I tried to attach the screenshot as a word doc, but was told I couldn't upload that type of file. Basically it said another drive letter had been allocated to the flash drive or there were no free letters left on the pc and to remove any network drives and try restarting the LaunchU3.exe, then reconnect the network drives. There was no mention of the letter the flash drive had been allocated to. The usb I have plugged it into is one that is not used for anything else other than flash drives and I have at least two letters not in use on the pc. I don't have a network on my pc. I use this usb for all my flash drives as it is on the front of my tower. Do I have to install the LaunchU3.exe to use this flash drive, bearing in mind I have 3 of them. Am I going to face the same thing with all of them and find problems further down the line? Can I use the same usb drive for using each one and other flash drives as well? I really have more questions on this, but I shall wait to see if anyone can help with the above. Just as a ps: If it is a safe programme, do I extract the files to the C: drive. If any other info is needed, please ask. Sorry this is so long winded, but I wanted to explain as much as I could about my dilemma. Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered. hedley

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:44 PM

Copy everything form the flash drive to a folder somewhere to save it as a precaution. Format the flash drive. That's what I did with the U3 4GB (Kingston Traveler) drive I got a while back.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:11 AM

Copied everything from the flash drive, then went to format it. There is no option on the context list to format the disk in 'my computer', only an option to eject it. Probably not the best solution, but should I just delete the info. Thanks for the help. hedley

#4 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

Further to the above, I had another go at doing this and looked at the drives properties. All 3 of these say it is a CD Drive, that used space is 6.67 mb and that free space is 0 bytes. I don't know anything about flash drives, but surely this can't be right? My other unused flash drives give used space as 16 kb and free space on an 8gb is 7.54 gb.

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:59 PM

Is there a switch on it somewhere to lock it (make it read only)? I just picked up 3 4GB SanDisk flash drives and all I did was delete the files on it, no reason to format it, though Format is a context menu option. The files were: 08/16/2010 04:00 PM 105,472 RunClubSanDisk.exe 11/10/2010 06:16 PM 31,095,432 RunSanDiskSecureAccess_Win.exe 11/22/2010 02:16 PM <DIR> club_application 11/22/2010 02:16 PM <DIR> SanDiskSecureAccess

Edited by Ztruker, 28 May 2011 - 08:06 PM.

Rich

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:09 PM

I looked at what was on another SanDisk 4GB flash drive and it has this, which might be handy.

Welcome to SanDisk® SecureAccess™!

SanDisk SecureAccess is a fast, simple way to store and protect critical and sensitive files on any
SanDisk® USB flash drive. Create a private vault and simply drag-and-drop your valuable files
inside. Access to your vault is protected by a personal password, and your files are automatically
encrypted – so even if you share your SanDisk USB flash drive or it becomes lost or stolen, access
to your files are safe.

SanDisk SecureAccess software also provides you the added protection of secure online backup
with Dmailer Online (*Up to 2GB; registration required. Terms and conditions apply.)

When it comes to protecting your private files, you can trust SanDisk®!

Supported Operating Systems:
 Windows® XP (Service Pack 2 is recommended)
 Windows Vista®
 Windows® 7
 Mac OS®
X v10.5+

Required Hardware:
 Available USB port
 SanDisk USB flash drive

Rich

#7 Ret_MSgt

Ret_MSgt

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:04 PM

Error:Windows has allocated a drive letter to the U3 drive that is already taken by another drive on your machine or there are no more drive letters available on this machine. Try disconnecting any network drives that you have connected to your computer and restart U3 by double-clicking LaunchU3.exe or the U3 System CD-ROM icon. Once the U3 Launchpad is running, you can reconnect the network drives,(I am the administrator). I may have an answer for this issue.I downloaded and ran as administrator a free utility call "usbdeview". It allow me to see all of my usb device. I used it to uninstall all devices that were not currently connected to my computer. I also uninstall some of the generic usb hubs it was showing. After rescanning for hardware change and after unplugging and replugging my usbkeyboard back in I was able to get the U3 launcher on my cruzer to work correctly.

#8 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

Copied everything from the flash drive, then went to format it. There is no option on the context list to format the disk in 'my computer', only an option to eject it. Probably not the best solution, but should I just delete the info.

Thanks for the help.
hedley

How to Format a Flash Drive

Cheers,
lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#9 Ret_MSgt

Ret_MSgt

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:18 PM

If the first option I posted does not work go the this site and follow those instructions. Mine has been working ever since I did this.

http://www.experts-e...-Windows-7.html

#10 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

Authentic Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • MVP

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:27 PM

I would suggest that you remove Launchpad with the U3 Launchpad Removal Tool from Scandisk.

Scandisk U3 Launchpad Removal Tool - http://u3.sandisk.co...hpadremoval.htm

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `
J. C. Griffith