This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Heur.dropper virus removal- Windows 7

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm sure other people have had this problem before but how do you remove it? I'm not having any visable problems as I was alerted to it in AVG but it couldn't remove it. I deleted the files manually (probably not a good idea I know) and I am not getting any alerts now but how do I make sure it has gone? I have seen the steps suggested for other users but should I follow them exactly? Any help appreciated OTL.Txt available on request OTL Extras.Txt available on request HackThis Log available on request DDS.Txt available on request DDS Attach.Txt available on request
Hi wtfomghelp,

:welcome:

My name is Tomk. I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. Logs can take a while to research, so please be patient and I'd be grateful if you would note the following:

  • I will be working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for the issues on this machine.
  • Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
  • If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.

Go ahead and post the logs and I'll see what I can see. :popcorn:
Hi Tomk

I have attached the logs, I think that is all of them.

I wasn't sure if I was going to get a response so I continue following the steps from another forum:

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…105319&st=0

I have also done combofix scan twice (once normally and once with the CFScript code provided), a Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware quick scan & two Kaspersky Virus removal tool scans (Kaspersky Online Scanner no longer seems to be available). Log for these are also available on request, Kaspersky is on a third scan at the moment, just to be sure.

So far, everything seems to be working fine & I'm keeping my internet connection off as much as possible.

Hope this help & I given you enough details.

- Can't attach HackThis Log so here it is below:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 00:32:59, on 25/05/2011
Platform: Windows 7 (WinNT 6.00.3504)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v9.00 (9.00.8112.16421)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\Toshiba Online Product Information\TOPI.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee Security Scan\2.0.181\SSScheduler.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\Utilities\KeNotify.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Epson Software\Event Manager\EEventManager.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\NDSTray.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSwMgr.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10q_ActiveX.exe
C:\Users\Toshiba\Desktop\gmer.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Users\Toshiba\Desktop\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - URLSearchHook: FCToolbarURLSearchHook Class - {ada2ac0d-15c6-4611-ba5d-5b0a8b52fd6d} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Nectar Search Toolbar\Helper.dll
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - - (no file)
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: avast! WebRep - {8E5E2654-AD2D-48bf-AC2D-D17F00898D06} - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\aswWebRepIE.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.5.5126.1836\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: FCTBPos00Pos - {B7C2F0D8-2209-4693-A15D-5A537211D48B} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Nectar Search Toolbar\Toolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Nectar Search Toolbar - {8020143D-5926-4394-A04D-DD0B649DA121} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Nectar Search Toolbar\Toolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: avast! WebRep - {8E5E2654-AD2D-48bf-AC2D-D17F00898D06} - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\aswWebRepIE.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SVPWUTIL] C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\Utilities\SVPWUTIL.exe SVPwUTIL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HWSetup] "C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Utilities\HWSetup.exe" hwSetUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KeNotify] C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\Utilities\KeNotify.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TWebCamera] "%ProgramFiles%\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Web Camera Application\TWebCamera.exe" autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ToshibaServiceStation] C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Service Station\ToshibaServiceStation.exe /hide:60
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EEventManager] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Epson Software\Event Manager\EEventManager.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast] "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe" /nogui
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [AvgUninstallURL] cmd.exe /c start http://www.avg.com/ww.special-uninstallati…t;ver=10.0.1375
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TOSHIBA Online Product Information] C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\Toshiba Online Product Information\topi.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [{5BE3A1FA-D03D-7969-A71A-B440F8E0554B}] C:\Users\Toshiba\AppData\Roaming\Hiohs\coiv.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EPSON SX125 Series] C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\E_IATIGGE.EXE /FU "C:\Windows\TEMP\E_S3AFD.tmp" /EF "HKCU"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [TOSHIBA Online Product Information] C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\Toshiba Online Product Information\topi.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [TOSHIBA Online Product Information] C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\Toshiba Online Product Information\topi.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: TRDCReminder.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\TRDCReminder\TRDCReminder.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: McAfee Security Scan Plus.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Google Sidewiki… - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_89D8574934B26AC4.dll/cmsidewiki.html
O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shoc…ash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O23 - Service: ABBYY FineReader 9.0 Sprint Licensing Service (ABBYY.Licensing.FineReader.Sprint.9.0) - ABBYY - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ABBYY\FineReaderSprint\9.00\Licensing\NetworkLicenseServer.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: ConfigFree WiMAX Service (cfWiMAXService) - TOSHIBA CORPORATION - C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFIWmxSvcs64.exe
O23 - Service: ConfigFree Gadget Service - TOSHIBA CORPORATION - C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFProcSRVC.exe
O23 - Service: ConfigFree Service - TOSHIBA CORPORATION - C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSvcs.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: EPSON V5 Service4(04) (EPSON_EB_RPCV4_04) - SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EPW!3 SSRP\E_S50STB.EXE
O23 - Service: EPSON V3 Service4(04) (EPSON_PM_RPCV4_04) - SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EPW!3 SSRP\E_S50RPB.EXE
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: GamesAppService - WildTangent, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\WildTangent Games\App\GamesAppService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: McAfee Security Scan Component Host Service (McComponentHostService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee Security Scan\2.0.181\McCHSvc.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Notebook Performance Tuning Service (TEMPRO) (TemproMonitoringService) - Toshiba Europe GmbH - C:\Program Files (x86)\Toshiba TEMPRO\TemproSvc.exe
O23 - Service: TMachInfo - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Service Station\TMachInfo.exe
O23 - Service: TOSHIBA Optical Disc Drive Service (TODDSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\TODDSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: TOSHIBA Power Saver (TosCoSrv) - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Power Saver\TosCoSrv.exe
O23 - Service: TOSHIBA eco Utility Service - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TECO\TecoService.exe
O23 - Service: TOSHIBA HDD SSD Alert Service - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA HDD SSD Alert\TosSmartSrv.exe
O23 - Service: TPCH Service (TPCHSrv) - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TPHM\TPCHSrv.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

–
End of file - 13217 bytes
wtfomghelp, Running ComboFix without supervision is not recommended. Running scripts designed for someone elses system is downright dangerous. Please post the logs for what you've done.
Sorry Tomk, as I stated previously I didn't think I was getting a reply and I had to do something. I appreciate your help but you aren't the only user on these forums that could have helped. I was just expecting a quicker response to my original post, that's all (this isn't a complaint, just stating why I did it.) Attached is the log for the previously stated scans. As Kaspersky is not the online scanner but the virus removal tool, I cannot give a detailed log file but I have given you all the info I have. As you can tell, I'm not particularly knowledgable about what is going on. Could you give me some more information about what to do next and how my computer is doing? Many thanks, apologies for problems caused so far.
wtfomghelp,

I do understand why you did it… and your frustration. However, as you probably know - every system is different and therefore none of the items that the script you ran dealt with… actually appear in your system. In your case it is "no harm - no foul", but that isn't always the case. Others, like yourself, often read these threads after the fact, and for their safety (as much as your knowledge) I needed to post the warning. The "Heur" in the infection you noted stands for heuristics. This means that what it found isn't definitely a virus… but rather looks alot like one. Often these can be false positives. If you happen to know the exact file that was being targeted, that could be helpful.

COMBOFIX-Script

  • Please open Notepad (Start -> Run -> type notepad in the Open field -> OK) and copy and paste the text present inside the code box below:

    Folder::
    c:\program files (x86)\McAfee Security Scan
    
    Registry::
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]
    "AvgUninstallURL"=-
  • Save this as CFScript.txt and change the "Save as type" to "All Files" and place it on your desktop.

    [external image: Posted Image]
  • Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before following the steps below. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
  • Referring to the screenshot above, drag CFScript.txt into ComboFix.exe.
  • ComboFix will now run a scan on your system. It may reboot your system when it finishes. This is normal.
  • When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Copy and paste the contents of the log in your next reply.
CAUTION: Do not mouse-click ComboFix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.

Then

ESET Online Scanner:

Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan. You will however need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be read here.

Vista users: You will need to to right-click on the either the IE or FF icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.

  • Please go here then click on: [external image: Posted Image]

    Note: If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on it to install.
    All of the below instructions are compatible with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.

  • Select the option YES, I accept the Terms of Use then click on: [external image: Posted Image]
  • When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is NOT checked, and the option Scan archives is checked.
  • Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
    • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Now click on: [external image: Posted Image]
  • The virus signature database… will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
  • When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically.
  • Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
  • When completed select Uninstall application on close if you so wish, make sure you copy the logfile first!
  • Now click on: [external image: Posted Image]
  • Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.

Note: Do not forget to re-enable your Anti-Virus application after running the above scan!

Also… please let me know how things are running.
Thanks Tomk Everything seems ok, probably a bit faster. My internet explorer at least seems that! The processes didn't take that long but I did leave ESET on overnight. Now for the obvious question, is my computer free of infections and I am able to use it again or is there anything else we need to do first? Attached are the logs, should I run any of these processes on my external hard drives as one was of them was attached when the original message about the heur.dropper appeared? If not, what should I do to them? Is it worth just running scans with Avast on them? Many thanks again so far.
wtfomghelp,

It wouldn't hurt to run a scan on your external drive. If it were me I might even plug it in and run a full Malwarebytes scan.

However, I think you're good to go.


Time for some housekeeping
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type ComboFix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK.
  • Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.
  • [external image: Posted Image]
The above procedure will:
  • Implement some cleanup procedures.
  • Reset System Restore.

  • Double click on OTL to run it.
  • Click on CleanUp!
  • When done, you will be prompted to restart your computer. Please restart your computer.

Please re-enable any security that was disabled.


The following is my standard advice for the future. Use what you can and pat yourself on the back for what you're already doing.

Please take time to read Preventing Malware - Tools and Practices for Safe Computing. Very important information for your consideration is contained therein.

I would also suggest you read this:
So how did I get infected in the first place?
by Tony Klein


Also: "How to prevent malware"
by miekiemoes

Please respond back that you understand the above and let me know if you have any questions. Otherwise, this thread will be closed Resolved. :thumbup:
Thanks Tomk I am running an Avast scan on the external hard drives then a Malwarebytes scan on each as well. Just a few closing questions then if you don't mind answering; What Anti-Virus & Firewall program(s) should have for future use? Avast was suggested to me, is it any good? Which of the following should I keep for future use; Gmer, DDS, OTL, Hack this, Malwarebytes? I will follow your step to uninstall ComboFix. If I were to get the same problem again, should I do the same as before or just post on the forums? Similarly, would I follow the same steps if a different virus was identified or again, just post on the forum? Last one, should I keep the logs from all these processes ran? Many thanks again!
AVAST! is a good scanner. I use it on the particular machine I'm answering you on. You should keep Malwarebytes. None of the others will do you any good in the future as odds are they will be updated before you have any use for them again. The good news is that when you follow my instructions… they should remove themselves. It is hard to advise on your "what if" scenario. Malware changes daily and what worked last week, might not work this week even though the infection seems to be very similar. My advise would be that if your onboard scanners (AVAST! and Malwarbytes') don't take care of it - you should come here, post a log, and look for advice. My opinion is that the native Windows 7 firewall should be sufficient. When you follow the cleanup procedures, many of the logs will be removed. You can simply delete the ones that remain. Any more questions?
Just a few more… Malwarebytes keep freezing whilst doing a full scan, any suggestion why? Should I do the "housekeeping" before running the scan?

Should I do the "housekeeping" before running the scan?

I suggest you do housekeeping immediately. The procedure resets part of your system. If you keep using your computer… without following the cleanup instructions first… you may "confuse" it so the cleanup procedures are not as effective.

Are you sure Malewarebytes is freezing? A full scan will take quite some time. How long are you waiting before deciding it has frozen?
I've managed to run Malewarebytes on my external hard drives but it stops responding after 20-25 each time I run it on the c drive. I have left it to see if it sorts itself out but it doesn't.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI