This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

All About Learning, Teaching, Reliable Resources & Tools

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

??

I agree Jimmy.
.
This thread "Replying to All About Learning, Teaching, Reliable Resources & Tools" has been here awhile, or at least the heading has been, but no 1st. post from the thread starter. I didn't realize it was possible to start a thread without a post (?).

Cheers,
Lee
:unsure:

Hmmm… I actually thought I had posted an in-depth intro here.
Spent quite a bit of time on it, anyway. Don't know why it didn't post.
Well… perhaps the intro to this thread has surrendipiteous merit - as it was not by design.
Curiously, it was responded to twice, none-the-less.

The title of the thread is "All About Learning, Teaching, Reliable Resources & Tools".

1. What better way to start a thread with a bit of the Socratic method… the use of questions as a teaching tool.
This thread starts with "??" in the first post and ends in a "(?) in the second post.

2. If Doug had opened this thread before Jimbo1 had responded;
perhaps he would have appreciated the "buddha-istic" nature of the thread as it begins with "nothing".

3. Or would this be more about Confusionism?

So… we start the journey with Buddha and Socrates.
Please view the following site listed below to gain understanding of the genesis of this thread.

What the Tech –> Hardware –> General Hardware –> Vocabulary Q's in General Hardware, Where Posted Terms Meet Contextual Meaning

Posts #1 through #4 – Beginnings of an Evolution of a "Post Specific" Contextual Glossary
Posts #5 through #13 – Genesis of This Thread: All About Learning, Teaching, Reliable Resources & Tools

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=118188

Any thoughts?

More sooner, rather than later!
:notworthy:

Well… perhaps the intro to this thread has surrendipiteous merit - as it was not by design.

:thumbup:

So… we start the journey with Buddha and Socrates.


At first, I thought "Great teachers. Different emphasis." But I reconsider. I think both teachers had a goal for the student that could be summarized as "recognition of ignorance."

The Socratic method, as originally employed I think, was about bringing the student to a place of aporia , so as to challenge their belief in their argued position.

Whereas the Buddha, whose essential lesson could be characterized as "the nature of existence." Taught that ignorance stood in the way of this realization.

So I think the topic opener here could not be more perfect:

??

Hey Rshaffer! Thanks for mending the link! Yes… I did want to post in Monday Madness… in fact… I had been composing symultaneously… then got caught up in an emergency in the middle and was not able to complete the double task until this morning. If you go to Monday Madness, you will see that I posted the link and cross-referenced to this site in case anyone wanted to discuss further - here… or in Monday Madness. B)
Uhmmm Yeah? Fine sentiments from the Wisconsin Board of Regents. The kind of stuff that should be put on a plaque for dreamy-eyed students to gaze at. But it certainly has no place in the curriculum development and classroom management planning of today's education. Keep in mind the the "mission" of eduction is to make us all the same, so that we can be inter-changeable parts in the machinery of economy. In that mission there is hardly any room for "truth".

Keep in mind the the "mission" of eduction is to make us all the same, so that we can be inter-changeable parts in the machinery of economy.
In that mission there is hardly any room for "truth".

Amen to that.

Keep in mind the the "mission" of eduction is to make us all the same, so that we can be inter-changeable parts in the machinery of economy.
In that mission there is hardly any room for "truth".


i don't think the mission of education is to make us all money making robots for some company where truth counts for little,

the opposite in fact,

i believe the mission of education is…

to pass along the truth as we understand/believe it to be(truth for each generation changes as our understanding changes),
it's to teach respect of oneself and of others,
to open one's mind to possibilities,
to teach them not be afraid to fail, if your afraid to fail you won't try in the first place, and if you won't try you'll never reach your true potential.

:popcorn:
Terry,

I agree with you and I believe that is how it "should" be.

But keep in mind….

"Social Studies" is no longer the study of History.
More time is spent with "Diversity Training" than study of actual foundational information.

Immigrant students (legal or illegal) are accommodated in classrooms designed to speak their language rather than teach them English.
Life-style "diversity" is taught during what had been History, and is now "Social Studies"
That means outside lecturer presentations from a variety of backgrounds are invited to teach why their way of life is preferred.
It has become "wrong" to celebrate and sometimes to even mention features of traditional US cultural history.

Heck, our Voting Ballots are printed in 178 different languages to accommodate for the diversity of folks who have come here to vote and change our way of life.
____________________

As to a traditional "liberal arts" college education where the student is introduced to to a broad range of studies to acquaint them with other disciplines, such as requiring at least one class in History, Chemistry, Literature, Biology, etc…. Doesn't Exist anymore!
The only remaining "requirement course" for BA graduation is at least two years of a Foreign Language! <– that is true.

"Liberal Arts" used to be the dominant "Major" for college BA graduates, preparing them to know how to relate to other professionals and understand how their discipline fits in with other studies and professions. It's GONE!

It is now possible to become a licensed Clinical Psychologist by studying Mysticism and Primitive Cultural Anthropology. <– I know one!

It is possible for "professionals" to become "certified" to administer "IQ" Intelligence Tests" (Stanford Binet, Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale, Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children… and other tests)….. without ever having studied Learning Theory or even Behaviorism, or Practical Applications of Classical Conditioning, Associative Conditioning, or even study of Cognitive Development. I know several.

There are "diploma mill" colleges designed not to teach foundational understanding of a profession, but rather are geared to preparation for passing the licensing examinations of their particular state. In know hundreds.

More of today's "professionals" come from "diploma mill" programs than from any other source.
_____________________

I haven't even addressed the issue of individual teachers giving more attention to their own personalized agenda than to the instruction of their supposed professional field of excellence and certification.
_____________________

As I said in opening, Terry… I agree with you… at least about what "should" be the mission of eduction.

But I'm here to tell you… The mission has changed.