it seems to me everything is working fine from what your saying ie:- they can see each other and it's just the password keeps being rejected when you try to connect,
so when you enter the password are you using capital letters? do they need to be lowercase?
before using it tho, can you make sure both the pc and laptop are set to home network, i'm thinking the laptop might still be set to public network after your recent trip.
The network location might not be set to Home. HomeGroup only works on home networks. To change your network location, follow these steps:
Open Network and Sharing Center by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type network, and then click Network and Sharing Center.
Click Work network or Public network, and then click Home network.
if they are already both set to home network and you still can't connect, use this link read it all first then click on the fix it button, and see if that solves the problem.
I was under the impression that N was the new technology so I asked around about it.
The consensus was that it should work with it and others are using it successfully. The 4 packets that were pinged from each pc came thru fine so I am thinking the router is ok..
I think you gave it your best shot and I really am grateful. I think the router is ok and eventually I will find out what the problem is. I owe you an answer so I will write back to let you know but it may take a while.
It seems there are not that many folks with 2 Win 7 machines to jump in.
I suspect the page that says advaced settings has an error on it.
Btw, when I enter the password in the JOIN box, the scan runs the password, and when it fails it says, Windows was unable to CREATE a homegroup. The laptop thinks I am trying to create a home group but the box I type into says JOIN
If we knew the answer to that, we would know why it is not working..
Thanx again.
Peter
Is the laptop XP and the desktop Windows 7? If so, you can't use "HomeGroup" as the name of your home network … it will only work with both computers being Windows 7.
My three computers, XP, Vista and Windows 7 can share files and printers using WorkStation as the name of my home (WorkGroup) network.
There is a 7 day free trial to use Cisco Network Magic Essentials, if interested
Operating Systems: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
Requirements: 32- or 64-bit OS; 100MB disk space; 256MB RAM for XP, 512 MB RAM for Vista; wired (Ethernet) or wireless Internet connection with router or gateway http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,…escription.html
Both pcs are Win 7 Home premium x64.
I tried sterting with the laptop and got a message at the dsktop that passwords can be found at us and pc
The point is that these are the names I first gave the pcs. I changed these names to desk and lap for convenience..
If the pcs refer to themselves as the original names, it could be the reason they cannot connect.
It is hard to recollect which was pc and which us and which ws caps or not.
You would think the change would take place but did not.
Of course this maynot be the reason for network failure.
I am sorry but the lnk was more than person at my level can comprehend but thank you for the suggestion.
Click on the start orb, then open the control panel. In the upper right hand corner, click on the search box, then type troubleshoot
A new window will open… click on Network and sharing Center. See if it finds a problem
I have used the trouble shooter. See the bootom of my message as I may have a homgroup with the other pc and not know how to use it.
>>1-discovered both Windows three firewalls and Norton's were on
2-called Norton who said just uninstall and reinstall and Windows will be off in private public and domain. This did not work so I manually uninstalled windows firewalls, all three.
3-I tried to connect and still no success.
4-I got in trouble here - right click Computer >change settings box
I had originaly named the machines us and sp but to find then easier changed the names to desk and lap The lap defaults goes back to sp.
Worse there is a word within change settings called change which I clicked on and saw 1-domain and 2- workgroup. I thought if I typed homegroup in the workgroup box it would change it to a homegroup but instead it now says homegroup in the workgroup box.
So, after all this , I can create a homegroup but cannot join it with the other pc and have botched the settings I described.
I do not know if there is a way to rectify this never mind establish the homegroup.
I will admit to a degree of ignorance but there are some odd occurrences like Norton keeping 4 firewalls on.
Using the feature these pcs offer,ie, homegroup>fileshare is something most people would lke to be able to use and with limited mobility i certainly would like to use it. There is a glitch or a setting, maybe on the advanced page that is prohibiting this.
The laptop syas homegroup joined and alsohomgroup us 2 but no password box ever said succesful. it is a puzzle.
I really could use some help
Thank you
Peter
sorry i'm at a loss peter as to why you can't get either homegroup or workgroup working on both pc and laptop, and can't think of anything more to suggest to solve the issue.
if i was in front of both i could probably resolve the problem in a few minutes through trial and error, checking file permissions and network setting etc.
not using win7 tho, so can't think of anything to try that i haven't already given you links to, that should of helped find and fix the problem.
Win 7 Home Premium x 64 both pcs.
I was unable to have my laptop join the desktop in a homegroup so I could share files. Foor at least 100 times the laptop would not accept the password given by the desktop.
I used an ethernet cable and when I connected the laptop to the router, the laptop finally accepted the password and was joined.
I tried to change the password and only when I connect the laptop to the router will it work. Although the pcs say the are joined I think it is like a time print in that those words were created when they were connected by the wire.
I do not know how to test if the pcs are joined wirelessly but I suspect not.
Do you know how I can test to see if this homegroup is valid and if there is connectivity.
I have never done this and am trying to read about fie sharing but am not getting the concept or procedure.
Should I exchange the router or is there a way to test this?
Thank you
Peter]
when the laptop is wireless it should act exactly the same as when you had them both wired to the router peter,
that is, it should see the other pc and connect to the homegroup, then you should be able to put files in the shared folders on both that can be used by both.
there is not a single folder that holds the files, each machine has it's own folder, each can be navigated to from the other machine and then any files put in to them can be used/changed depending on file permissions, music files for example only need read permissions to be played on the other machine, where as a text file might need read and write permissions so you can make changes to it from both machines while actually saving it only on the pc.
everything i can find on the problem mentions, IPv6 but that should be set by now, here's one last link anyway. :- he says windows never changed the registry key and he had to manually do it, see post 7. :- http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing…-homegroup.html
but to be honest not holding my breathe seeing how they work when connected wired.
seeing how the geek squad said they'd had problems with that belkin model and would replace the router no problem for you, with a different make that would work, maybe it's time to take them up on the offer, unless you want to try the workgroup route to get them sharing files.
you never did say what the model the belkin router is.
Terri
I havee disconnected the machines and now have conneciviity between the two.
After plugging the laptop into the router and being able to enter the password from the desktop to the laptop for the first time(it may have jump statred the router or rebooted it) I was able, in a rudimentary fashion, to create folders on both pcs and remove then on both-this with no cables. The cables were only to jumpstart or reboot the router.. I now have to refine the file sharing process with make believe folders so no harm is done.
All is working well with homegroup and file sharing.
Thanx a lot for all the help you gave me. If anyone asks tell them to use the ethernet cable first to whack that router then proceed normally.
Belkin N300
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI