This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

Just a question

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Well, I also see that I cannot edit post (I have read another thread with the explanation) so I think that I will get those privileges when I reach the "Authentic member" group. So my question now changes to… how much posts do I need to be an "Authentic member"? Thanks again an sorry for the second reply.
Hi, We do not always publish a precise figure for including a pm facility…… Once a member has demonstrated that she/he is posting sensible comments/questions, consistently, then the pm facility is granted.

It is rare that a new member would have a need to send a pm.
(an Administrator though, can always send you or any new member a pm.)

If you have a specific question to ask, then if you post it here I will do my best to provide an answer.
Regards
paws
Hi paws,

Thanks for the information, the thing is that I wanted to send a PM to this user: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showuser=82094
Because of this post: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…mp;#entry726199

I just wanted to apologize for being watching his thread, but as you can see in my signature, I'm a helper trainee in SWI, so I really like to watch hard and long threads to see how the Helpers solve the problems as they come. I didn't wanted to being creepy or steal her information.

If you could send a PM to this user with my apologies, that would be awesome.

Thanks again for your help.
Hi Kikesan, No worries, and thanks for your explanation (it makes perfect sense) and I will ask TomK who is helping her clean her machine to pass your message over so that she is reassured. Regards paws
Kikesan, I've posted a link to your words here to Candice in her thread. As a trainee, you can understand how removing malware from your system can be very stressful and frustrating. This level of frustration becomes greatly accelerated when you've been infected more than once in a relative short period of time. The victim starts to become a bit paranoid. Candice is a good person and has a heart as "big as all outdoors", but is tired of having malware take advantage of her and has come to realize that you can't be to careful with your information on the world wide web. To some extent her nervousness is justified. I have a feeling that you understand where she was coming from. Welcome to WTT and good luck with your studies.
Hello TomK, I know how stressful it is, that's the reason I want to apologize to her, because it wasn't my intention to make her feel uncomfortable. Her behavior is perfectly understandable. As I said, I'm sorry for make her uncomfortable. :( Thanks TomK for giving my words to her.
wow, I spend hours sometimes reading and following threads because I find them and the whole removal process and or tech solutions very interesting, Id hate to think someone thought I was a stalker. Never stopped to think it could make someone uncomfortable. :unsure:
:rofl: No Im thinking stalker has a pretty universal meaning, unlike some of those other words. Theres one inparticular that comes to mind that means bottom in the states, but has a whole different meaning here down under (no pun intended) :rofl:

wow, I spend hours sometimes reading and following threads because I find them and the whole removal process and or tech solutions very interesting, Id hate to think someone thought I was a stalker. Never stopped to think it could make someone uncomfortable. :unsure:


It was a embarrassing to me :blush: , it's the first time that I face a situation like this. I didn't want to cause troubles but there's a first time for everything and it's probably to happen again in future.
I was wondering this as well. I would think that the PM would be allowed if you wished to contact one of the Administration Team Members… Sadly, that is not the case so I will wait until I have been "Authenticated"
@Kikesan, Yeah… I could see why you might feel embarassed… but you did nothing wrong. :thumbup: We all spend time nosing around logs of others. If we didn't, we'd miss alot of current techniques and process on current infections. Nobody knows everything there is to know about malware removal and the only shot we have at competency is reading all we can and research, research, research…. this includes spending time studying logs of others we trust. It can be unnerving to the stressed person who doesn't know that that last thing we care about is any personal information… we only care about finding the malware. … except for chrissy72 who is just nosy. :D
@Mr Bean, The simple answer for the PM restrictions is spammers. This stops "drive bys" where a spammer logs in a dumps garbage to every member of the site. Secondly, many people are helped on the forums who never post. Alot can be learned from reading threads of others. Therefore… we don't "offer help" through the PM system because advice given on the open forum can benefit many others. And thirdly… people with computer problems are impatient people. There are many users who post their problem… and then PM everyone they see online asking if they can solve their issue and why haven't they replied yet. Very annoying. :angry: