Discussion
Vintage Computer Advertisements from the late 1970s
6 min read
rediaH
Topic Starter
Tomk
The first computer I ever had my hands on was an HP 85 in 1983. No hard drive, no floppy. Ran off of a magnetic cassette tape. (I still have a couple of cassettes if any body needs one).
Click to load external image (Posted Image)
Click to load external image (Posted Image)
Jimbo1
The first computer I ever had my hands on was an HP 85 in 1983. No hard drive, no floppy. Ran off of a magnetic cassette tape. (I still have a couple of cassettes if any body needs one).
Click to load external image (Posted Image)
Wow dude, yer hi tech now
Jimbo1
terry1966
Jimbo1
Hummm Tom, I think Terry has you beat.
chrissy72
My first home computer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64
And first computer I used (we had 3 in our "computer lab" at highschool…..cos we were so priviliged lol.) I think was one of these or very similar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_128K
We had to book to use them and in 2 years I got to the top of the list only once lmao!
And first computer I used (we had 3 in our "computer lab" at highschool…..cos we were so priviliged lol.) I think was one of these or very similar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_128K
We had to book to use them and in 2 years I got to the top of the list only once lmao!
LDTate
I did service on both.My first home computer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64
And first computer I used (we had 3 in our "computer lab" at highschool…..cos we were so priviliged lol.) I think was one of these or very similar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_128K
We had to book to use them and in 2 years I got to the top of the list only once lmao!
The C 64 was all board level repair mainly desoldering / resoldering RAM chips
The Mac repairs (if you want to call it a repair) was removing items from the floppy drive that the kids would stick in there.
Other repairs required replacement of the power board, some just required resoldering the hot spots.
Tomk
When I got out of college in 1984, I went to work for a company that had a "real" computer. It had two floppy drives, and a text program of sorts. Letters could be "typed" like on a type writer (word wrap and all) instead of one coded line at a time in DOS.
[external image: Posted Image]
[external image: Posted Image]
Jimbo1
Don't have a picture, my first was a
286, 12 mhz, 32 megs ram, forgot the size of video card with a 5 1/4 floppy and a wopping 20 meg hard drive and dos 3.3, forgot the bard rate of the modem think around 300 bps, that was top of the line for me.
Jimbo1
Redcar92
My first was a 1982 Timex Sinclair 1000 with 2k ram, with 16k add on pack you were rockin.
Bill
In Training at WTT Classroom
Click to load external image (Posted Image)
Still have it, packed up with cassette tape recorder, tapes with programs like Visicalc, Flight simulator and others plus books and mags.Bill
In Training at WTT Classroom
Doug
chrissy72
OH WOW!
How cool is that!
I saved for years to buy my commodore64, I think I started with my first job at 14 and finally had enough at the age of 16 lol.
Dont know if I would buy one now though hmmmmmm. I think it would be more of a gimmick than anything??
Jkc73
OOOOOHH Yeah!!
Apple iie with 2 floppy drives [external image: Posted Image]
I was able to copy disk to disk…..
and even cut a little square on the opposite side of the disk to make it double sided, or was that the Sperry computers at school I used to do that on. 
I was able to copy disk to disk…..
Deleted Member
Hey! Here's a picture of my first "word-processor" (lol!) that I used in 1970.
[external image: Posted Image]
[external image: Posted Image]
Sunyata
I don't think they had PC's yet when I started out. I worked on the U of Marylands Univac 1108 via a Deckwriter circa 1976:
http://gunkies.org/wiki/DECwriter_II
The graduate students got to work on the PDP 11.
I still remember a bit of poetry hanging in the Deckwriter room. An ode to late night scrambles to meet assignment deadlines:
Late, Late at night
When the Deckwriters write
And the PDP hums its hum
The disks whirl away
In seeming dismay
And the system taps at its drum…
http://gunkies.org/wiki/DECwriter_II
The graduate students got to work on the PDP 11.
I still remember a bit of poetry hanging in the Deckwriter room. An ode to late night scrambles to meet assignment deadlines:
Late, Late at night
When the Deckwriters write
And the PDP hums its hum
The disks whirl away
In seeming dismay
And the system taps at its drum…