This is just a recent thing and could well be the monitor is on the way out.
This is the issue, in the last few days when I boot up and then switch the monitor on the screen has started to stay blank, if I switch it off and then on again I can see the windows sign on screen but it then goes blank again within a second or so. If I keep doing this it does eventually come on and stay on. I have also noticed a couple of times when going away from my PC I have turned the monitor off but left the PC running and the same issue occurs.
I cant see a name on the monitor but it is a flat screen model no. EM-190 TFT Made in China produced 2004
Is there something or someway I could check this out.
Scudo
That sounds like a Proview monitor. Those monitors of that vintage had alot of problems with bad capacitors. From memory, I think those had a three year warranty, which you're obviously passed. It is possible that if you go back to where you bought it… they may be able to get you a discounted repair from the factory… but it's probably a long shot.
Hi thanks for the reply.
I assume it is unlikely to be anything to do with the operating system. It probably wouldnt be cost effective to get a repair done but was wondering if there are any checks I could do (without opening anything up) to verify its the monitor.
I am not too technical but I suspect maybe a dodgy on/off switch. Like not holding the on position.
I think an upgrade is on the cards soon as my tower is even older.
Scudo
Hopefully one of the Techs will know some tricks… but at my company we had 4 of these monitors manufactured in 2003 and 2004. 3 of them exhibited similiar behavior at different times. All three were fixed under warranty… even though one of them was a couple weeks over the deadline. I was told that in all three cases it was capacitors.
Hi Scudo, a quick test is to connect your PC to a different known good VDU….if it works properly then its indicating that the video card/circuit is probably Ok and the likely fault is with the VDU, its cable or one of the connectors. Before you start dissecting the VDU try a different cable/connector as well. Check that none of the pins in a VGA or DVI connector are bent over or broken…..they are easy to bend and the results can be unpredcictable!
The other quick test you can do is to connect your suspect VDU and cable to a another known working PC and see if it works….
In the workshop we often use substitution in this way as a simple diagnostic…. its quick and relatively easy for us as we always have hard drives, VDU's, memory modules, video cards etc. lying around….. however it shouldn't be too difficult to find a spare VDU..you could always borrow one from a chum.
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI