Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet Lag Spikes

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Shawnty

Shawnty

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:06 AM

hello! Recently i've started getting ALOT of laggspikes, they occur every 10-15 min(usually) usually less on the night somehow, might have something to do with it. I've never had this kind of problems before. I've have switched between several routers, also i've talked with the 1 responsible for the internet where i live and he got the converter changed... still no improvement. Please help! Best regards Jonathan

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 rharrison

rharrison

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Computers, malware, security, electronics

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:20 AM

Hello Shawnty, Could you show us your current network configuration? To get a copy of it: 1. Go to Start, click Run, type in: cmd - press Enter 2. In the command prompt window type, cd Desktop - press Enter 3. Type this command, ipconfig /all >> ip.txt - Press enter Copy and paste the contents of ip.txt file on the Desktop into your next post so someone can help you further. Rich

#3 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:36 AM

From a couple other perspectives... Have you recently installed new software or utilities? Do you monitor your StartUp file for necessary and unnecessary automated updates? Does the "lag" occur coincident with specific ativities (for instance high-demand gaming and/or audio/image editing)? What antivirus and antispyware solutions do you have installed. Have there been other changes noted in your internet browsing experience?
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#4 Shawnty

Shawnty

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:15 AM

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601] Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. CUsersJontecd desktop CUsersJonteDesktopipconfig all ip.txt CUsersJonteDesktopipconfig all ip.txt CUsersJonteDesktopipconfig&allip.txt Windows IP Configuration Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix . Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . fe80987c143c4e62ad55%10 IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . 192.168.1.102 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . 192.168.1.1 Tunnel adapter isatap.{593A38ED-970A-4562-A98E-389DDA4A5DA1} Media State . . . . . . . . . . . Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection 11 Connection-specific DNS Suffix . IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . 200105ef579fd30b433d13f57fe99 Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . fe8030b433d13f57fe99%12 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . 'all' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. CUsersJonteDesktop That's what i got from cmd. I've recently format(ed?) my hardrive and reinstalled everything, however the lagg spikes occured way earlier then this. I've installed a program called Tuneup to sort the automatic updates, they are mostly set once/week or manually. I'ts very hard to say when it occurs. However when i play games is mostly when i notice it basically by loosing control of the game. However when im using the internet it happens that the site doesnt update for several seconds(which i think is because of the Lag Spike). Not sure if its irrelevant or not but my internet can sometimes become very slow for sometimes minutes... sometimes hours. I got 100/100 Mbs so if i got it right... my internet shouldnt get so slow that i cannot even look at a stream Youtube I use Kaspersky Internet Security(bought version) At the moment no antispyware. Im not sure i understand ur question Doug but... Other then the lagg spikes and it sometimes becoming very slow, no

#5 Shawnty

Shawnty

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:30 AM

Hope this can help u figure out whats wrong as well.

http://www.speedtest.../1231417321.png (the results varies so much, can go up to 110 Mbs... tho usually around 40).

#6 rharrison

rharrison

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:49 AM

What is the actual speed you're paying for as advertised by your Internet Service Provider? If you're currently connected to your router via an Ethernet cable, you could try swapping it for a different cable if you have spares.

#7 Shawnty

Shawnty

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:08 PM

im paying for 100/100 Mbs

#8 rharrison

rharrison

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:28 PM

It's possible you may have a problem with your ISP's DNS service but I cannot say anything for sure

You could also examine how well the DNS settings used on your computer compares to others. Using a tool like DNS Benchmark: https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Sometimes changing to different DNS settings can make a big impovement to your Internet's responsiveness.

Edited by rharrison, 01 April 2011 - 03:38 PM.

#9 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:33 PM

Shawnty,

Your upload and download speeds may actually compare favorably with others using your same ISP, regardless of the "up-to" possible rating.

My own server is SBC/ATT in Northern CA.
I am well outside of prime distance from the phone company's best DSL area, and my neighborhood is rather old, therefore, houses that had been built at the time most folks had one telephone, now have two or more lines distributed via a procedure called paired line splitting, whereby both of my phone lines (and one DSL access) is served by a single copper wire. The other houses in the neighborhood also have multiple lines in and out, putting more than expected load on our area switches.

I pay for a "premium" DSL service.
Two of my neighbors subscribe to "basic".
I can tell the difference when I visit them.

My upload/download results via the same test you completed are
5.12Mbps down
0.65 Mbps up

While my upload is a bit better than yours, my download is less than a quarter of your rating.

I run at least two computers at all times and have other wireless connections periodically, occasionally my Son watching Netflix movie while also involved with email, tracking professional sports and corresponding in social networks.
Additionally, I run a separate VOIP telephone with two lines active at all times.

I typically run a few browser windows open for Forums, several for research, and a couple of online email subscriptions, in addition to a local email client. I presently have 33 tabs open, and just for practice/experiment I just opened a television episode from Hulu.
All of this is on an 8 year old Compaq desktop with P4 3.0mhz and 4 gigs of RAM running XP Home (not a barn burner for sure)

With the above "load" on my access, I rarely if ever have difficulty/lag/buffering with any of the machines.

Why get into so much detail about my own system?
Sorry.
But for reasons of comparison, if you are having lag to the extent that: "so slow that i cannot even look at a stream Youtube"
then you may need to have a look at startups and your system configuration, or possibly get a checkup over in our Virus, Spyware & Malware Removal Forum.

If you wish to have a look at your machine's overall configuration and performance, consider running and posting a Results link from PCPitstop Overdrive Full Tests.

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. At WTT we prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

#10 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:40 PM

Do you have neighbors fairly close? I'm guessing that you are connected using Wi-Fi? Is your Wi-Fi secured?
Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:57 PM

TomK, no Wireless in his ipconfig output, just Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection.

Shawnty, is this a Vista or Win 7 system?

Also, try running the test at SpeedTest.net, see what your results are.

Edited by Ztruker, 01 April 2011 - 04:59 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#12 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

Hope this can help u figure out whats wrong as well.

http://www.speedtest.../1231417321.png (the results varies so much, can go up to 110 Mbs... tho usually around 40).

Ztruker,

Good observation about lack of Wireless Connection.
Gotta hand it to TomK though, that was high on my list of suspicion too.

as to running speedtest.net, Shawnty already did and posted in Post #5

#13 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:14 PM

Thanks Doug, missed the Speedtest.net link, sorry Shawnty.

Download speed looks good, upload sucks err, inhales vigorously but that's true with all ISPs as they cap upload speeds to prevent your running a server or at least making it not very responsive.

Shawnty, try booting to Safe Mode with Networking and see if the problem occurs there as well. If not then I would also think it is an ISP problem.

Rich

#14 Shawnty

Shawnty

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:16 PM

wow, thanks for all quick replies, im gonna try most of them out 2morrow morning, its 03:13 here in Sweden so starting to get a little bit late ;P However. My main problem isnt the upload speed, nor the "slow internet" the problem is that i loose internet connection for seconds a.k.a Lag Spike Its essential for me to get it fixed since i play competitive gaming and its on hold at the moment cause of this problem.

#15 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:08 PM

Desktop or Laptop? If Desktop, is the NIC on-board (built-in or an add-on). If on-board then you could try a new Gigabit NIC and see if that resolves the problem.

Also try replacing the Ethernet cables/cables.

One other thought. Start Process Explorer and have it running, minimized to the Taskbar. When the lag occurs, quickly check it to see if there is anything maxing out the CPU.

Rich