This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

XP Anti-spyware 2011 virus - Can't run Malwarebytes

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

I have been infected on my desktop (Windows XP) ith a virus that states XP Anti-Spyware 2011. I searched for ways to remove and came across this What the Tech topic: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…115608&st=0

I have followed all of the steps that LDTate laid out up until the Malwarebytes portion of the post. I am unable to access the internet from my desktop as the virus attacks any page I visit, so I downloaded both MBAM programs that are linked in the aforementioned post to my laptop, burned it to a disc and copied it to my desktop. When I click on the shortcuts nothing happens.

I also attempted to use RootRepeal, however that was unsuccesful.

Can anyone please help me on getting Malwarebytes to run on my desktop, so that I may remove this god forsaken virus. I searched for ways to get MBAM to run, however most of them were outdated.

All your help is truly appreciated.
Thanks
:welcome:

Please download DDS and save it to your desktop.
  • Disable any script blocking protection
  • Double click dds.scr to run the tool.
  • When done, DDS.txt will open.
  • Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.
  • Save both reports to your desktop.
—————————————————

Please Please copy / paste the scan reults.
Thank you for the reply LDTate. Just wanted to give you a courtesy heads up to let you know that I am currently at work and will try when I get home.
http://www.eset.eu/online-scanner
Go here to run an online scannner from ESET.
Click the green ESET Online Scanner button.
Read the End User License Agreement and check the box: YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
Click on the Start button next to it.
You may receive an alert on the address bar that "This site might require the following ActiveX control…Click here to install…". Click on that alert and then click Insall ActiveX component.
A new window will appear asking "Do you want to install this software?"".
Answer Yes to download and install the ActiveX controls that allows the scan to run.
Click Start.
Check Remove found threats and Scan potentially unwanted applications.
Click Scan to begin.
If offered the option to get information or buy software. Just close the window.
Wait for the scan to finish
Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.
I currently cannot acces the internet on the infected computer, as the virus takes it over. I am currently on my laptop, and can only transfer files over to the desktop.
Download Combofix from any of the links below but rename it to iexplore.exe before saving it to your desktop.

If need be, Download the tools needed to a flash drive or other USB device, and transfer them to the infected computer.

Note:
If combofix (iexplore.exe) won't run from the desktop, try running it from the USB device.



Link 1
Link 2 If using this link, Right Click and select Save As.


* IMPORTANT !!! Save iexplore.exe to your Desktop

Double click on the iexplore.exe ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
Be sure to download any updates.

  • When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  • Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt so we can continue cleaning the system.



  • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. Note: If you are having difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, or are unsure as to what programs need to be disabled, please refer to the information available through this link : Protective Programs

  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.

    Notes: Combofix will run without the Recovery Console installed. Skip the Recovery Console part if you're running Vista or Windows 7.

    Note: If you have SP3, use the SP2 package.
    If Vista or Windows 7, skip the Recovery Console part

  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.


[external image: Posted Image]



Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

[external image: Posted Image]


Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt using Copy / Paste in your next reply.


Notes:

1.Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings, including making I-E the default browser.
3. Combofix prevents autorun of ALL CD, floppy and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security. If this is an issue or makes it difficult for you – please tell your helper.
4. CF disconnects your machine from the internet. The connection is automatically restored before CF completes its run. If CF runs into difficulty and terminates prematurely, the connection can be manually restored by restarting your machine.

Give it atleast 20-30 minutes to finish if needed.

Please do not attach the scan results from Combofx. Use copy/paste.

Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
When i tired to install the Windows Recovery Console a message said I am not connected to the internet than it aborted the installation but continued to run the scan. With the autoscan up, I received a message: Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program Name: Windows Explorer Publisher: Microsoft Corporation I am not sure if this is for the autoscan or Windows Explorer in general. I am currenlty running the scan off of a CD, and the folder is open. I get this error message from time to time when I have folders open. Should I click Close Message, or let the scan continue? …… If it is scanning with this error message.
I use Trend Micro AntiVirus, and normally have the icon showing on my notification portion of the taskbar. However, the virus will not let it show. I went into the customize properties and dropped down to "Always show", but it still will not show. It is normally easier to turn off the protection from right clicking it and turning off, but in this situation I went into the application and turned it off (I think/hope) So far the scan has been about 20-25 minutes, the blue screen states that it is scanning for infected files and place holder is still blinking. Seems to be a good sign? The error message is still up too as I have not clicked close message.
Should that be from the beginning? If so, than it is not working. The entire time it has read: Scanning for infected files . . . This typically doesn't take more than 10 minutes Howerver, scan time for badly infected machines may easily double _

Should that be from the beginning? If so, than it is not working.

The entire time it has read:
Scanning for infected files . . .
This typically doesn't take more than 10 minutes
Howerver, scan time for badly infected machines may easily double
_

You will only see the processing numbers after that.

My guesss is it's hungup

Have you try System Restore?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI