Baruga
Topic Starter
Software
Luddite needs 2 way sound.
27 min read
Baruga
Oh, I forgot…..the browser that I use is "Google Chrome".
Tomk
Malware thread can be found here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=117620
Nahumi
Hello Baruga,
Before we get started, I'll explain the process of how we usually help on the forum.
In most simple cases only one of us tends to deal with the OP (Original Poster), but in complex problems such as this one it is common that you may receive help and advice from more than one helper. We try not to contradict each other, but we tend to work along the principle that more heads are better than one.
That said, we usually try to "diagnose" the problem by asking lots of questions, much like a doctor would. Sometimes the information you give in your first post is enough to get us started, but usually along the way we're going to need some more specific information. We will try to be as direct as possible when asking these questions.
The last thing I'd like to say is that providing tech over a forum can take a few days. If you're lucky and your time zone matches whoever is helping you, replies can be quick. Other times you may have to wait. Don't be alarmed if a helper doesn't get back to you straight away, they are probably asleep or at work. (Or having to think really really hard…that's always a possibility).
Okay, so let's get started. Because you've already voiced a concern about not knowing all the lingo, I'll try and give you links and explanations on any terminology. Anything text that is blue and underlined will have a link to a page that explains the particular word or phrase. Just click this link and read up about it. Don't hesitate in asking for more detailed information on any particular terminology.
The first thing I need to know is whether the microphone is plugged into the correct Audio jack. To find out whether you have, just follow the cable from the microphone into the back of your machine. Check to see if the cable is fully inserted into the pink socket.
The sockets should look similar to this :
[external image: Posted Image]
You may have more than three, and they should all be colour coded.
If the microphone cable is fully inserted, try taking it out and plugging it in again. Do this with the computer turned on. Audio drivers these days can automatically detect whether a new audio input or output has been connected.
To see whether it has worked try doing a Skype Test Call. Here is a link explaining the Skype Test Call feature :
https://support.skype.com/en-gb/faq/FA265/H…FirstPage=false
Let me know if that works.
Cheers,
Nahumi
Before we get started, I'll explain the process of how we usually help on the forum.
In most simple cases only one of us tends to deal with the OP (Original Poster), but in complex problems such as this one it is common that you may receive help and advice from more than one helper. We try not to contradict each other, but we tend to work along the principle that more heads are better than one.
That said, we usually try to "diagnose" the problem by asking lots of questions, much like a doctor would. Sometimes the information you give in your first post is enough to get us started, but usually along the way we're going to need some more specific information. We will try to be as direct as possible when asking these questions.
The last thing I'd like to say is that providing tech over a forum can take a few days. If you're lucky and your time zone matches whoever is helping you, replies can be quick. Other times you may have to wait. Don't be alarmed if a helper doesn't get back to you straight away, they are probably asleep or at work. (Or having to think really really hard…that's always a possibility).
Okay, so let's get started. Because you've already voiced a concern about not knowing all the lingo, I'll try and give you links and explanations on any terminology. Anything text that is blue and underlined will have a link to a page that explains the particular word or phrase. Just click this link and read up about it. Don't hesitate in asking for more detailed information on any particular terminology.
The first thing I need to know is whether the microphone is plugged into the correct Audio jack. To find out whether you have, just follow the cable from the microphone into the back of your machine. Check to see if the cable is fully inserted into the pink socket.
The sockets should look similar to this :
[external image: Posted Image]
You may have more than three, and they should all be colour coded.
If the microphone cable is fully inserted, try taking it out and plugging it in again. Do this with the computer turned on. Audio drivers these days can automatically detect whether a new audio input or output has been connected.
To see whether it has worked try doing a Skype Test Call. Here is a link explaining the Skype Test Call feature :
https://support.skype.com/en-gb/faq/FA265/H…FirstPage=false
Let me know if that works.
Cheers,
Nahumi
Baruga
Hey Nahumi,
Thanks for those instructions. I totally get that this is a volunteer thing, so I am grateful of any assistance, regardless of how long it takes. I'm on Atlantic time, which is one hour later than Eastern…or Toronto/NewYork time.
Ok…..I tried the Skype test call, and heard nothing. Although it gave me a little message saying that things seem to be fine.
Also, when I plugged in the microphone - for the first time, I did not get a message saying "a device has been plugged in" which is what I normally get.
I tried several times, using both jacks plugged in, and with just the mic plugged in and my speakers for sound. I did not hear a thing through speakers nor the headset.
Geez..Skype has gotten way more complicated since the last time I used it several months ago……yikes, I can already see that I will be using gmail callphone instead. Too many "things" on the skype page. 
Nahumi
Okay,
Do you usually hear sound through your speakers? Or is it only in Skype that you can't hear any sound?
Baruga
Yes, I usually listen through my speakers….the only time that my speakers did not emit sound, was when I accidently dumped my realtek…..a friend helped to guide me through to get sound on, using a device inside my system…I guess it's a microsoft thing. Anyway, since that day, sound through my speakers has been normal, as it had been before I had dumped my realtek device.
But I see now, that the little icon that was on my bottom bar for that (the system my friend helped me with) is gone too, since we removed the malware.
Now, when my friend helped me to get sound back, we did go all over this machine….there was place that we went, that other friends cautioned me not to fiddle with….geez. I can't remember the name of the place now. This was all done over Facebook, through some 100 comments LOL….not kidding.
I have two headsets as well, one has only been used once, so I tried them both. I'm pretty sure they are not the issue.
Mah machine is ignoring mah headset apparently….. 
Nahumi
Okay, lets check the input and output.
1. Go to your Start Menu (bottom left of your screen) and then click on "Control Panel".
2. Once in the Control Panel you should see a drop down menu at the top right labeled "View By: Category". Click on the downwards pointing arrow and change this to "Large Icons".
3. Once you've done that you will see a grid of icons. These will be alphabetically ordered.
4. Find and click on the "Sound" Icon.
5. You will now be presented with the Sound options of your computer. You'll notice a few "tabs" across the top of this window.
6. Go to the "Recording" tab. There may be a few devices listed, but the one you want to look for is the Microphone.
7. Right click where it says Microphone and make sure there isn't a tick next to where it says "Disable". If there is, simply click on "Disable" to remove the tick.
8. If there isn't a tick, go ahead and click on Properties. A new windows will pop up named "Microphone Properties".
9. Go to the "Levels" tab in this window and you should see "Microphone" and "Microphone Boost" with a bar underneath each one.
10. Drag the bar underneath "Microphone" all the way to the right. The box next to the bar should say "100".
11. Press the "ok" button at the bottom of the Microphone Properties window and you should return to the Sound properties.
12. Again, look for the Microphone on the list and there should be a green circle with a big tick in it. There will be a volume bar to the right of where it says "Microphone". If you try speaking into the microphone, the volume bar should light up.
After doing all that, does the volume bar light up when you speak into the microphone?
Is the microphone listed at all?
Baruga
Um….everything is completely different in there from what you described.
The only thing that is the same, is Start - Control Panel.
From there on in, it is ALL different….I am stumbling around in there…..I see properties, and icons…but it is ALL different…… 
Baruga
There are two microphones
One with a picture of a headset
One with a picture of a table top microphone, like you would see at a meeting or panel.
I did find volume bars and I did turn them up to 100
But when I returned to the beginning point…the "headset microphone" says it is working and has a green light. But it is NOT working.
And the One with the table top, did NOT have a green tick beside it, even though is is enabled.
Nahumi
Right, sorry for the instructions. I'm working from Windows 7 and I seem to remember the control panel hasn't changed much since Vista. But I guess it isn't.
Anyway, right click the table top one and click on "Set as Default Device".
Then try to see if it picks up any sound. Try gently flicking or tapping the microphone to see if the volume bar lights up.
Baruga
I'm sorry, I am completely confused now.
What do I want to be working? The table top one or the headset one?
I see the default thing, but I don't understand what that means….does that mean, that when something else fails, it will "fall back" on that device?
Nahumi
No, not quite.
The "default device" is the device that Windows will automatically use.
So in this case, your current default device is the headset. As long as Windows sees that device, it will try to use that for your microphone. It will just ignore the other one completely.
The different icons, the "table top" one and the "headset" is is based on where it's plugged in. So if your microphone is plugged into the back of the machine, which it is, you want the "table top" microphone to be the default input device. Conversely, if you were plugging it into the front, you'd want the "headset" microphone to be the default device.
So that's why we want the "table top" microphone to be the default device. Otherwise the computer is trying to use a microphone that isn't plugged in.
Quick post Edit : Does the "table top" microphone have a grey icon with a downwards pointing arrow?
Baruga
Whoa.
Wait a minute…there's two places to plug in back and front? What?
I only plug into the front of the big black box..I think you guys call it a "tower"…just below the on switch is where I plug in……
Nahumi
Ah, okay. I sort of assumed you plugged it into the back. Sorry!
Yeah, there are two places you can plug your microphone. There is always a plug in the back, and there is usually a plug in the front.
It usually doesn't matter whether you plug it into the front or the back.
To back pedal a little, are you sure you have plugged it into the microphone socket and not the headphone socket? They are usually next to each other and can be easily mixed up.
Yeah, there are two places you can plug your microphone. There is always a plug in the back, and there is usually a plug in the front.
It usually doesn't matter whether you plug it into the front or the back.
To back pedal a little, are you sure you have plugged it into the microphone socket and not the headphone socket? They are usually next to each other and can be easily mixed up.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI