This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

Terrified Luddite

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Holy carp**…..I can't tell you how long it took me to even get here. I am totally lost……all I know is that my computer is in trouble…..and here is the biggest issue for me, I don't understand the language of this technology at all. Not at all. It took 3 years for me to understand what a browser is…So when someone asks me to do certain things…I am clueless….. I think I am the last human on the planet to have sat down in front of a computer. And what little I know, is all self-taught….literally by stumbling around in the dark. I just learned how to copy and paste 6 months ago….I'm still celebrating that breakthrough…… Whoever is here to help - I guarantee that I will be your greatest challenge yet……But I desperately need that help, because I rely on my computer entirely to stay in touch with the outside world. I'm looking all over this page….I dont understand anything that I am seeing…..
Now see…..now that I have made a fool of myself for the first time of many I am sure….I have no idea what to do…….. Guess I wait for someone to email me or something? I am afraid to leave this page……it may take months to get back here……
Welcome Baruga. If you could let us know what kind of issue you are having or what you need help with… maybe we could steer you to the appropriate "room" to get help.
Oh…Hi Tom…thankyou for your prompt reply…. Um…well, I KNOW that I have viruses and some Malwares….. About 6 months ago, I started having trouble….things were slow….I use Facebook and gmail regularly…. Um…I had added the free AVG anti virus thingy….and when I did that, I started to have trouble….I got booted offline several times…..so I tried to "uninstall" the AVG thingy and found it would not uninstall…and then I started having other problems… I stupidly stumbled around, trying to "fix" things myself. In the process, I screwed up my sound…which was a real drag, because I rely on gmail callphone to talk to friends and family. A friend on Facebook was able to "chat" me through getting my sound back at least….but then, I had sound, but my Microphone is not being picked up, so no one can hear me. I tried to fix that…. At one point, I was able to download a free scan thingy from this site….and the scan said that I had some 265 viruses and 3 malware thingys….. Now, I don't do any online banking at all, so I am not concerned about that….but I do want my microphone back working, and to clean up my computer, before other things start to malfunction. I'm afraid that as I stumbled around trying to fix things, I messed more things up……. Thanks so much Tom.
hi, download , revo uninstaller and remove the rogue AV, download avast free anti virus,then run a boot time scan,download and install IO bit,advanced system care,free and use regulary to keep your system maintained, also download and run IO bit 360 security,free and run to rmove spyware.these free programs will help tp keep your computer maintained. good luck
Welcome to you also focu.

Personally… I would never recommend to anyone that they install an IOBit Product.

However… Baruga… I suggest that you follow this link (click on the colored text) which will take you to our "getting started" instructions for the malware removal forum. Follow the instructions found there and post the logs in the malware removal forum. A member of the Malware Team will then "pick up" the log and post further instructions to you. They will guide you through whatever steps are required. If you don't understand something… ask. They will do their best to explain what needs to be done.

In the extremely unlikely event that someone hasn't responded to you within 3 days… go http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…931#entry406931 and post a reminder that you need help.
See….I have two emails that say that Tom and one other person responded to me….(Tom for a second time) But I can't even find your responses here……the last post I see, is my description of my troubles….
Geez…ok, I did find it now….Thanks Tom….I will follow your instructions. Focu? Thank you, but I have no idea what you said at all. Not a clue.
Tom, I clicked on the blue text and went to the page to get rid of malware…..but when I get there, I find myself in an endless "register" loop…I can't seem to do anything or click on anything else…….
This is what I see, but I don't know what to "click on" when I get there….: Options LDTate Aug 23 2009, 08:54 AM Post #1 Forum God Group: Root Admin Posts: 54,131 Joined: 23-September 04 From: Missouri, USA Member No.: 15,276 SPYWARE / MALWARE / VIRUS REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS - Please read this BEFORE posting for malware removal assistance. Disclaimer: WhatTheTech, does not take responsibility for any outcome from following these directions. Every computer is different, so we cannot guarantee the results. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ONLY REGISTERED MEMBERS MAY RECEIVE ASSISTANCE PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO REGISTER HERE FIRST REGISTERING IS EASY AND FREE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ CAUTION - Please DO NOT USE any SPECIALIZED MALWARE REMOVAL TOOLS, without supervision. Be advised that running specialized tools on your own, is done solely at your own risk. Doing so could make your pc inoperable and could require a full reinstall of your OS, losing all your programs and data. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ PREPARING TO POST ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Step 1. Please tell us what issues you're having with your computer. Step 2. Download one of the three tools listed below and post the scan results using Copy / Paste. Vista and Windows 7 users: 1. These tools MUST be run from the executable. (.exe) every time you run them 2. With Admin Rights (Right click, choose "Run as Administrator") Tool #1: ~~~~ OTL ~~~~ Download OTL to your desktop. Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted. When the window appears, underneath Output at the top change it to Minimal Output. Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check. Under Custom Scan paste this in netsvcs drivers32 %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.* %systemroot%\Fonts\*.com %systemroot%\Fonts\*.dll %systemroot%\Fonts\*.ini %systemroot%\Fonts\*.ini2 %systemroot%\Fonts\*.exe %systemroot%\system32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86\*.* %systemroot%\REPAIR\*.bak1 %systemroot%\REPAIR\*.ini %systemroot%\system32\*.jpg %systemroot%\*.jpg %systemroot%\*.png %systemroot%\*.scr %systemroot%\*._sy %APPDATA%\Adobe\Update\*.* %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Favorites\*.* %APPDATA%\Microsoft\*.* %PROGRAMFILES%\*.* %APPDATA%\Update\*.* %systemroot%\*. /mp /s CREATERESTOREPOINT %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav %PROGRAMFILES%\bak. /s %systemroot%\system32\bak. /s %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\*.lnk /x %systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\*.dat /x %systemroot%\*.config %systemroot%\system32\*.db %PROGRAMFILES%\Internet Explorer\*.dat %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\*.lnk /x %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\*.exe %PROGRAMFILES%\Common Files\*.* %systemroot%\*.src %systemroot%\install\*.* %systemroot%\system32\DLL\*.* %systemroot%\system32\HelpFiles\*.* %systemroot%\system32\rundll\*.* %systemroot%\winn32\*.* %systemroot%\Java\*.* %systemroot%\system32\test\*.* %systemroot%\system32\Rundll32\*.* %systemroot%\AppPatch\Custom\*.* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\Results\Install|LastSuccessTime /rs Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long. When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL. Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply. You may need two posts to fit them both in. Tool #2: ~~~~ HijackThis ~~~~ Download HijackThis . Save HijackThis.exe to your desktop. Doubleclick on the HijackThis.exe icon on your desktop. By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis . Click on Install. It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop. Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis. Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad. Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log. DO NOT use the AnalyseThis button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted. DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required. Tool #3: ~~~~ DDS ~~~~ Please download DDS from LINK 1 or LINK 2 and save it to your desktop. Double click dds.scr to run the tool. When done, two DDS.txt's will open. Save both reports to your desktop. Please include the contents of the following in your reply using Copy / Paste: DDS.txt The next step is to start your topic. Click the Start Button below and post the information from Steps 1 and 2 Start a in Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal Forum How to create a new topic Do not reply to your own topic - Helpers look for topics with 0 replies. If you do not receive a reply to your initial post after three days please post a reminder for us HERE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Malware and Spyware Removal Forum Rules: Combofix should NEVER be run unless requested. While it's a powerful tool useful for removing a number of infections, things can, and do go wrong. Sometimes systems even refuse to boot. There are safeguards built into Combofix, but only someone trained in its use will be able to help you recover. The logs generated can also be very difficult to interpret properly. Please stay with your original topic when posting follow ups.Use the ADD REPLY button, do not "QUOTE" the previous post. The "Topic Title" should contain the name of the infection that you are having a problem with e.g. WinTools, http://…sp.html etc. Use the "Topic Description" to include more details. This will help you get faster responses as some people are more familiar with certain infections. Tell us if you're having any problems, and please be specific. Let us know what you've already done to fix it (if anything). If you do not understand a step, do not panic, simply ask for direction and information. We will offer any advice necessary to help you. Please only post your topic once. Duplicate posts will be closed, it just creates additional work for the staff members trying to help you. Do not create posts at multiple forums. Logs take time to diagnose, and doing this will waste multiple helpers time which is already over-stretched. If you do this your topic will be closed. Do not attach logs unless directed to do so, as it is harder to read that way. Post them instead If you are being helped and you haven't replied within 3 days your topic will be closed as inactive. If that is the case, please start a new topic when you have the time needed to finish all the instructions. If you would like to know who is helping you here at WhatTheTech Forums please read The Different Groups Here At WhattheTech. If you would like to learn more about how free, community based tech support works CLICK HERE.
Baruga,

That's the right place.

Let's see if I can simplify the instructions.

Scroll down to where it says :
Tool #3:
~~~~
DDS
~~~~


Click on either LINK 1 or LINK 2 which will start the download of the tool.
Just follow the directions there to run it and produce 2 logs. (be sure to save them where you can find them again)

Then just below the DDS instructions… click on Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal Forum which will take you to the malware removal forum.
Once there, click on the New Topic button on the upper right of your page. This will open a page just like where you've posted here.

Describe what is happening with your computer and then post the logs you saved from DDS (here is where you get to show off your copy/paste skills :thumbup: )

Then comes the hard part… waiting for someone to reply to your topic. Odds are it will probably take up to a day… might be shorter or longer. When a member of the Malware Team replies, you will get a notice emailed to you just as you did here. It doesn't hurt to check back from time to time even if you don't get notified as sometimes notifications get lost.
Thanks soooo much Tom…Imma take a run at this tomorrow….it's after 1 where I am right now. I'm grateful. Will tackle it with a fresh outlook tomorrow.
Hi Baruga

:welcome:

I see that you are already in good hands, via the guidance received from TomK.
You will also receive excellent assistance from a Malware Team Member in our Virus, Spyware, & Malware Removal Forum.

I just wanted to pop in to add my welcome to you.
Also, I enjoyed your reference to Luddite.
A long time ago I named my first main computer "Luddite" and still have it functioning quite well.
It has been a joy for this Luddite (me) to gradually learn from the great folks at this WTT Forum.

I hope you enjoy and benefit too.

Best Regards,
Doug
Hi Baruga May I also welcome you to this great forum. After the very capable Tomk has helped clear up your current computer problems, you'll also find some useful tips and information if you have a good look around other parts of the forum. Good luck Satchfa n
*giggling uncontrollably as I often do, when I am in shock at having conquered a machine* I'm gobsmacked that I got back in here! Look - no bruises! Hi Doug and Saskfan, I am grateful for your welcome and encouraging words. I really should not be left alone with this machine, without adult supervision. Spent the first year terrified that if I pressed the wrong button, the thing would blow up! Or jettison me off into space. Alrighty….I'm gonna get a tea, and then I am going to start step one of Tom's instructions. Please keep a good grip on the rope for me….. I'm goin' in…..*takes a deep breath*