Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Browsers extrememly slow

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#31 gbsk

gbsk

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

Sorry That URL is for the PC Pitstops log. GB

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#32 gbsk

gbsk

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:23 PM

I am wondering if you have had a chance to look at the log and also what do you suggest that I do next? Thanks GB

#33 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:36 PM

I ran AutoRuns again and this time I got a URL. Here it is..
http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24252940

Don't need another PCpitstop Overdrive test result, need the AutoRuns file (zipped if it's to big to post).

Cheers,
Lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#34 gbsk

gbsk

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:10 PM

Lee I have unziopped a lot of files but never zipped one except by sending email. How do I do this? Thanks GB

#35 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:11 PM

Right click on the file and select Compress to zip (or something like that). If it's not available, download and install 7-Zip then right click on the file, click on 7-Zip then chose the last option, Compress to xxxxx.zip.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#36 gbsk

gbsk

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:29 PM

Rich Thansk for responding. I tried to download 7zip because There were no indiators that said zip or condense or such. 7zip site said it would be over 1MB file. Gigaget, a file downloader automatically downloaded it for me. The file was not on Gigaget's screen or the desktop or in my download file. I did a search and it onlyfound one file, which was a 33KB file. I tried to open it but the message said it did not have a file association. I clicked on browse and it took me to the net. I have never been able to find a file when it takes me to the net. Anyway, how would you suggest I get this file? Thanks GB

#37 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

Sorry to hear your having so much trouble gbsk, How To Make a Zip File (Windows XP)? To compress a file or folder 1. Locate the file or folder that you want to compress. 2. Right-click the file or folder, point to Send To, and then click Compressed (zipped) Folder. A new compressed folder is created. To rename it, right-click the folder, click Rename, and then type the new name. Cheers, Lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#38 gbsk

gbsk

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

Lee, I think this is it. I did not know about the subbutton on Send To. Thanks GB

Attached Files

#39 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:51 PM

That is not the autoruns output txt file, it's the autoruns.exe (application) itself. You need to click on File then Save in the Autoruns window, then change the type to txt instead of arn. It will then be called autoruns.txt. Mine was 325K unzipped and 36k zipped.

Edited by Ztruker, 03 April 2011 - 07:51 PM.

Rich

#40 gbsk

gbsk

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:26 PM

Rich I don't know what I am doing wrong but this is not working. I can save this as an arn file. I then trie dto rename it as a txt. it would not let me. I also tried to do it like you said. When I clicked on save, it came out as"AutoRuns" I added ".txt" behind it and saved it. However, when I looked on the desktop, I could not find it. I also did a search for AutoRuns.txt and all that came up was AutoRuns,(without the ..txt) which was a 4 MB file, I presume it was the original Auto Run file. I have 2 AutoRuns on my desktop and as far as I know I sent both to you. I will compress it and send it anyway. GB

Attached Files

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#41 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:12 AM

I don't know what I am doing wrong but this is not working. I can save this as an arn file. I then trie dto rename it as a txt. it would not let me.

Hi gbsk,
Sorry, No, that wasn't the right file......Xp has a default setting that hides file extensions, most technicians automatically alter this on machines they have on the workbench for fixing, so file extentions are shown, so its worthwhile making sure that file extensions are being shown on your machine.

This can get confusing if you dont have file extensions being shown...as you will see this sort of layout: (the following is just an example)
autoruns
when if you have file extensions shown you will have:
autoruns.txt

Here's how to show the file extensions on XP (you can alter it back to how it was originally if you want, by reversing the instructions when you have finished the work and all is working OK)

1 Click on My Computer
2 Click on Tools
3 Click on Folder Options
4 Click on View (it's a tab across the top)
5 Click on the radio button (so that the tick or checkmark box is cleared) next to Hide Extensions for known file types
6 Click on Ok

This should make things a bit easier and enable you to send the correct file, and then one of the helpers here will be able to get back to you
Regards
paws

Edited by paws, 04 April 2011 - 02:23 AM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#42 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:02 AM

As Paws said, you have to change the type from .arn to .txt when you save it, not rename after. AutoRuns.jpg

Rich

#43 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:06 AM

Actually, the .arn file you renamed to .txt and zipped works pretty well. I can now open Autoruns then do a File / Open on it and see exactly what you see. Much easier to see what data goes where. Paws, try it, I think you'll also like it better.

Edited by Ztruker, 04 April 2011 - 09:19 AM.

Rich

#44 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

Doesn't look to bad to me. There are some thing still running that I would get rid of though, at least temporarily to see if they are a problem. From Add or Remove Programs, uninstall Gigaget dowload manager (as a test) Google anything SandBoxie (as a test) Panda anything (Services shows Panda Boot Driver running) Sunbelt (Anti-rootkit)

Rich

#45 gbsk

gbsk

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:35 PM

Paws Thanks for responding. I did everything you suggested like unhiding the extentions. I then did a search for the file. I HAD FOUR INSTANCES OF AutomRuns.txt. One was a 4 MB one that is too big to send. I have 2 zipped versions of the same file. I know it is the same file because one was in the Recycle Bin because I put it there after sending it in and someone at Whatthetech said it was the wrong one. The other was the same size and on the desktop because I copied another one. The last one was a shortcut. The only time I found it was when it was a .arn file. What next? Thanks GB