This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

windows vista has suddenly started looking like an older version of wi

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

hi there, since turning on my laptop this morning, windows vista seems to have gone a bit wierd it's started responding slowly, i.e. when i minimise a window or open a new one, theres a pause of a few seconds before it actually reacts. the strangest part is, i've got vista installed but it's started looking like an older version of windows - i.e. the semi-transparent parts around the windows that vista has are now just solid grey bars, the start bar is just a solid grey bar rather than the semi-transparent blue one, do you know what i mean? it also just told me that it didn't recognise my USB memory stick (something it's never done in the past 4 - 5 years I've had it) even though i'd already opened up my essay and had edited it and saved it to the computer. the only thing I can think of is that last night i plugged in my girlfriend's new external hard drive to copy some of her photos to it, so it had to install the driver software - could something have malfunctioned in this process? what can I do to sort it out? thanks, joe p.s. - just read the guidelines for asking for help - I'm using a dell inspiron 6400, with windows vista. the problem started when I turned on the laptop, so no applications were running. I think everything else was covered already :)
Hiya Joe_Leviente

Sorry to hear about your problems after reading over your post I have a concern here as you posted:

the only thing I can think of is that last night i plugged in my girlfriend's new external hard drive to copy some of her photos to it, so it had to install the driver software - could something have malfunctioned in this process?


It is possible and I would not rule that out that, but what's kinda making me suspect it may be a possible virus infection. Here is the info and head over to our malware section, if they report all clean, then report back here for help. Listed below is how to do this.

Go to the Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal forum: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=106388 -read the info there and follow the posted directions. Once you receive a clean bill of health, come back here if you have any additional questions or concerns or it turns out not to be a malware problem.

Please be patient as that is a very busy area. If you do not receive a response in 3 days, post a message here:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=78698

Jimbo1
ok thanks a lot. the hard drive was brand new, we just opened it and plugged it straight in. the first thing i did was scan with spybot S&D and it didn't find anything. I'll try with the malware guys and if that doesn't help i'll come back here :) joe

ok thanks a lot.

the hard drive was brand new, we just opened it and plugged it straight in.

the first thing i did was scan with spybot S&D and it didn't find anything.

I'll try with the malware guys and if that doesn't help i'll come back here :)

joe


Ok want to be sure you did not pick up a bug, if not then you could try a early restore point prior to copying them pictures. But lets wait and see before moving into this possible fix.

Jimbo1
thanks man. are you going to keep this thread open, or will i need to start a new one? I've posted in the malware forum

thanks man. are you going to keep this thread open, or will i need to start a new one?

I've posted in the malware forum


The threads in these forums stay open all the time, only in the Malware sections do they close them.

We will be here waiting for you. Have a good day.

Jimbo1
ok, LDTate reckons it isn't an infection. What would happen if I did a system restore point to before I'd copied those pictures? I've done quite a bit of university work since then and I think its all backed up on my usb stick but not sure - wouldn't really like to lose it, the deadline's tomorrow! By the way, since turning on the laptop today, vista looks like it should do. Which is wierd because I tried turning it off and on again yesterday, but it continued looking wierd. but when I turned it on today, back to normal. It has still been running quite sluggishly, and i noticed some wierd flashes going across the screen both last night and earlier today Joe

LDTate reckons it isn't an infection.


Hummm If he thinks their is no infection I guess we have to go with that, Reason for saying so because you said after hooking up that drive and copying the pictures to your machine, the went into weird mode. I have used many USB drives and none of them did what you are describing.

What would happen if I did a system restore point to before I'd copied those pictures? I've done quite a bit of university work since then and I think its all backed up on my usb stick but not sure - wouldn't really like to lose it, the deadline's tomorrow!


You need to backup all your important files, If we are going to do a system restore anything from what date you will choose, any data after that date will be lost. So It's Very Important, Back Up all those files and let me know when you are ready to go to the next step.

Jimbo1
ok cool. Should I just do a standard backup onto an external hard drive? I.e. using the backup and restore center? btw, what happenned with moving the pictures, I didn't actually copy them to the machine. She had taken them for her photography project, and I copied them straight from the camera onto my external hard drive via the computer - not actually onto the computer, I just plugged the two devices into it and copied them straight from one to the other. Then, when her brand new one arrived, I plugged hers and mine into the computer, and it had to install the driver software for her new one. I then copied the pictures directly from my external hard drive to hers, again without putting them on my machine. And in the morning when I turned it on, it started going wierd. Joe
joe_leviente, Thanks for walking through the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal procedure to assure that infection is not involved in this situation. Your completed work with LDTate looks good. You have also made it clear that you did not transfer any images "from" the g/f's new external HD, rather you transferred images "to" that external. The above therefore suggest a problem with the Driver for the new external Hard Drive, or some other Vista windows system conflict may exist. Additionally, "if" a camera, your own external USB HD, and the new USB external HD were all attached at the same time, it might be possible that a power issue cropped up. Though unlikely, it would be most possible if either of the external USB HDs draw their power from the USB connection, rather than from an external power supply. Do either of your two external USB HD's have external power supply? Do either draw power exclusively from USB connection? I may just be wandering in my thinking here, but if one or both draw power only from the USB connection, then Vista may have "managed" visual effects to reduce other power consumption. (loss of transparency, gray task bar, etc.) and now with the USB externals not connected, Vista may have adjusted visual effects back to a more Vista-like presentation. _______________________ As to Restore Points…. Jimbo1 is correct to caution you to back up important data, documents, images, and saved files. However, System Restore does not remove or change owner/operator saved files such as .docx, .jpg, .bmp, .mp3, etc. Ironically though, if rolling back to a prior Restore Point goes to a time before a particular application (like your camera, or other application program) was installed, then the saved data (pictures or text) will still be there, but you won't be able to access them, until you reinstall the associated application program. ______________________ As to how and what you select to back up… use your own judgment. Even manual copy/paste will suffice. Of particular note: System Restore explicitly does not influence items saved in c:\My Documents But some documents, images and files may be saved inside the Folder of its associated application program. Therefore, you might be well advised to Move any such saved material into a Folder in C:\My Documents. I hope that is at least clear as mud. :P
actually, both the hard drives take their energy from the laptop. It was plugged in to the mains power, but you oculd be right. only thing is nothing changed while they were plugged in, only the next day when i turned it on - with nothing plugged in. the fact that it was running slower when i turned it on the next couple of days could have been because I ran ATF cleaner on it? I'm not sure how it was on startup today because my girlfriend turned it on before i got home. Should I leave it another day and then let you know how it goes tomorrow?
ATF cleaner would only effect loading various application software, if you allowed it to clear the Pre-Fetch Folder (usually not necessary and not advised).

Wait and see, seems like a good strategy…. but put the machine to use, opening and closing the various utilities and applications you commonly use, for the best subjective evaluation of performance.

You may also consider a visit over to PCPitstop, to Run their excellent OverDrive Full Tests.
This would give our Techs a better overview of configuration and performance.

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. At WTT we prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards
I am going to let Doug look over the pit stop results to see if anything needs to be done.

Several things are nagging me and they are this:

the only thing I can think of is that last night i plugged in my girlfriend's new external hard drive to copy some of her photos to it, so it had to install the driver software - could something have malfunctioned in this process?

The device driver could have cause some problems but not sure or not, I have 2 WD USB device and when I hooked it up the first time it wanted to install driver but I told it no and I always do the same for any usb device, to me windows should recognize the device and you should be able to use it with no problems.

This is why I am leaning on doing a system restore to a date before you plugged in them devices.

Doug kinda hit on it, could it be power issues.

The usb device draws its power from the system and plugging it on to the usb port may have over loaded and drew to much, as Doug pointed out here

but if one or both draw power only from the USB connection, then Vista may have "managed" visual effects to reduce other power consumption. (loss of transparency, gray task bar, etc.) and now with the USB externals not connected, Vista may have adjusted visual effects back to a more Vista-like presentation


So What I would like to do is

1. Lets wait and see what Doug says about the pit stop results
2. What I would like for you to do is unhook the usb device boot and re-boot a few times and run the machine to see how it does without the device
plugged in.
a. If it runs ok and no problems, plug in one device and run the machine through the same test, opening apps, going on line, booting up and so forth
to see how it does. Warning: Do not plug in both atm, because I a bit concerned about power issues, I would like
to just run these test first.


Please report back with the results please.

Jimbo1

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI