Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

When craigslist returns search results: no thumbnails on page, no imag

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 kapusta

kapusta

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

I forgot..... The searched item with the Explorer-type icon is "iexplore" with no extension. But now the search also brings up "IEXPLORE.EXE-021CCDCD.pf" I am going to Deny the Windows Explorer.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#32 kapusta

kapusta

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:27 PM

IEXPLORE.EXE-021CCDCD.pf" is in C:\WINDOWS\prefetch

#33 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:30 PM

I think I want to Deny and "Remember this setting".
Should it say "Internet Explorer" and not "Windows Explorer"?

You are right... should be Internet Explorer, not Windows Explorer

Is this the thread to which you refer?
http://forums.whatth...howtopic=108853

Maybe you can have a look there to discover what you may have done?
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#34 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:32 PM

Best to leave the Prefetch files the way they are, without change, at this time. See if you can discover how you renamed Iexplore.exe

#35 kapusta

kapusta

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:20 PM

I read the whole transcript and I can't find it. It was a long time ago. Can't I just download something from the internet?

#36 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:57 PM

Possibly not. If, for instance, you were to install IE 7, 8, or 9beta, the installation would "look for" the prior installation, in order to grab settings, configuration, favorites and the like. If it can't find the prior installation, the new installation may get clobbered up. I really don't know, because I haven't come across such a situation before. ________________ How have you been obtaining MS Updates? I suppose if you have updates set to auto or auto-download and manual install, then no window of IE need ever open. ________________ You can discover what version of Internet Explorer is presently installed on your machine by going to Start - Control Panel - add/remove --- then scroll down near the bottom of the list where Windows Internet Explorer (version #) "should" be listed. You could then take the "leap of faith" by installing the next higher version. This would have to be your own decision. There would be no guarantee that the installation wouldn't get botched, since it may not be able to find the renamed IE. _________________ Since you present "issue" is simply being able to view images at CraigsList, I'd be more inclined to install another third-party browser such as Opera or Chrome. _________________ I'll see what I can do to help find the renamed IE on your machine.

#37 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:20 PM

Reading through your malware thread and now this one, I think you need to do the following, in this order:

You will need a XP (MCE?) install CD. If you don't have one, you can order a recovery CD from the computer manufacturer for about $20 (US). What is the make and model number of your computer?

Run System File Checker (SFC) from a Command Prompt. You do this as follows: Click on Start then Run, type sfc /scannow and press Enter or click OK.

If that doesn't fix it, do a Repair Install. That should not affect your data and will leave most programs alone, though you will have to reinstall your firewall and anti-virus.

If that doesn't fix it, do a Clean Install. This will wipe the hard drive so you need to backup your data first.

Actually, unless you already have a good backup of your data, now is the time to make one. Depending on how much data you have, you can burn it to CD or DVD, copy to a flash drive or external hard drive. If you have an external hard drive then you could use Macrium Reflect Free to make a full backup of your system so everything would be available to copy back once the Clean Install completed.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#38 kapusta

kapusta

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:39 PM

Windows Internet Explorer Version 8: 20090308.140743 However, your followup instructions.... "You will need a XP (MCE?) install CD. If you don't have one, you can order a recovery CD from the computer manufacturer for about $20 (US). What is the make and model number of your computer? " I eventually got an install CD from eeebay, but then family came to visit and I had to pack a bunch of things up. I will have to look for it. Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 0X5543 or OX5543 What other number do you need?

#39 kapusta

kapusta

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

Previous comment, plus... How many digits is the number that you're looking for? Begins with 00045, then 3 digits then 3 digits then 3 digits ? Begins with X11, then 5 digits?

#40 kapusta

kapusta

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for the advice: "could use Macrium Reflect Free to ...." I think I will get an external hard drive.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#41 kapusta

kapusta

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:47 PM

I have to make a test drive to my new job location tomorrow. I will be gone for1 hour to 90 minutes.

#42 kapusta

kapusta

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:51 PM

OK. I have to work on this tomorrow night.

#43 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:09 PM

Ztruker , Doug , kapusta & others....

Hi guys , been awhile... :o

Just passing by & happened on this thread....
Everybody here knows I'm no genious , but......
I noticed that both kapusta & Ztruker mentioned IE 8....
This forum , I think , should be keenly aware that IE 8 is full of bugs & that's one reason for IE 9 coming out....
Having IE 8 on Ztrucker's & kapusta's units & getting the same problems with craigslist could be the culprit...
I thought that Ztrucker was a dyed in the wool "FireFox" supporter...
I had IE 8 on my computer & it gave me fits...
I came here & wound up doing a FULL install that later turned out to be unneccessary...
As a novice that learned a hard lesson , I would suggest you take a serious look at IE 8 as a problematic cause....
I would also suggest he (kapusta) download IE 7 from here;=>..... http://www.microsoft...t-explorer/ie7/
Scroll down to download IE 7....
As to whether or not he installs it , I will leave that up to one of you folks...
I had NO trouble getting rid of IE 8 & installing IE 7 which is running fine...

GOOD LUCK with this....

Have a GREAT week.... :thumbup:

Later....Ron.M..... B) ...

#44 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

Hi Ron, haven't heard from you in a while. This thread was about FireFox originally. The IE8 issues came up as a result of having him try a different browser but he seems to have lost iexplore.exe (IE8). I only use IE when necessary. My normal browser is SeaMonkey. I don't have any problems with IE8 but then I don't use it much either.

Rich

#45 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:56 PM

Hi Ron, haven't heard from you in a while. This thread was about FireFox originally. The IE8 issues came up as a result of having him try a different browser but he seems to have lost iexplore.exe (IE8). I only use IE when necessary. My normal browser is SeaMonkey. I don't have any problems with IE8 but then I don't use it much either.

Rich