Hardware
Nvidia 8400GT Heat Issues
22 min read
EN8400GS
Topic Starter
Hello,
Im new to the forum business. I have a Nvidia EN8400GT with 256MB/512MB turbo cache.
Its a great card to play the games i like but recently i have had some temperature issues. The card iddles at 59-64 and when listening to musics, to playing 2005 titles the temp rises to 69-72.
this seems fine BUT the card shuts down at 72 with a bluescreen. Using nTune i dropped the core speed. But that did not work. I noticed my gpu has a fan BUT nTune wont let me adjust it.
Also i changed the thermal greas and put tin foil on the core with paste as well. THIS HELPED A LITTLE. I have no money so how can i imporve cooling WITHOUT spending money?
Cheers
EN8400GS
sorry i meant en8400GS
Nahumi
Hello EN8400GS,
Welcome to the WTT Forums.
You attached tin foil directly to the chip? That really is a terrible idea. Not only does it present a real fire hazard, it will not help with heat dissipation.
Therefore, I don't think I feel comfortable advising you until you remove the card. Once you confirm that you've removed it, we can talk about your options.
Cheers,
Nahumi
EN8400GS
Ok thats done, although it helped a little. And the layout was Chip>Themal Paste>Foil>THermal Paste>heatsink with fan
Doug
Nahumi is right!
Tin Foil is a bad idea.
Thermal Interface Material (TIM) such as Arctic Silver and others are designed to fill the microscopic "pits" and deformities that exist on the metal surface of both the chip and the heatsink.
The TIM thus provides for consistent contact and conduction of heat away from the chip.
Without TIM, those microscopic pits form pockets of air which adversely "insulates" and hold heat in, causing risk to the chip and machine in general.
Placing a layer of Tin Foil between the chip and its heatsink multiplies the bad opportunity for more air-pockets and places your chip and machine at greater risk.
Remove the Tin Foil and apply a thin layer of good quality TIM.
There is a "reason" why you are seeing elevated temperatures of your graphics adapter card.
If you are sufficiently skilled, you may consider replacing the fan.
Also inspect the capacitors for bulging and leaks.
There is no good reason for a graphics card to start getting hotter under normal and heavy usage.
"Something" is broken or wearing out.
EN8400GS
i actually bought it new a couple of days ago. I did run it withOUT tin foil before but the temps had risen. The capasitors seem fine to me but replacing the fan, I have nO money in my wallet
Nahumi
If it was new, why didn't you just return it to the shop?
This won't be an option now considering the work you've done to it…
EN8400GS
Not that new, About 3-4 Months. I got NEW from online auction so they dont have warranty
Lee
Unless your trying to burn your house down, never, EVER use foil inside a computer for anything
I don't think the EN8400GS has a fan(?). It's one of those silent cards I'm sure, unless there is 2 versions of it.
So was the foil added under the CPU heatsink or beneath the Video Card heatsink?
Silent Video Cards run hot when running video or playing a game and especially in a case that hasn't got excellent cooling properties. What brand and model case do you have?
Cheers,
lee
EN8400GS
I use an aerocool aquilo mid atx case. The GPU is an asus nvidia and has a fan. But i cant control how fast it goes. And i do know a few people wo have tinfoil on their gpu.
yes the foil was on the Graphics card
Ztruker
What about opening the case and have a fan blow directly onto the video card? Maybe that would help lower the temp.
EN8400GS
Tried already.
Maybe the thermal paste not working properly? I made a pea shape on the core then used a blunt blade to spread. Its really thin. But it is what others say to do though…
EN8400GS
Hi based on my specs
What should the voltages be in bios: CPU,RAM, Chipset etc?
Maybe thats why my card is overheating. If i get this sorted my build will be FINISHED!!!
Lee
Tried already.
Maybe the thermal paste not working properly? I made a pea shape on the core then used a blunt blade to spread. Its really thin. But it is what others say to do though…
I'd be very interested to know the internert address leading to the (dangerous) advice to use tin-foil to reduce temps. (?)
With thermal paste, what you want is about a grain of rice (tiny bit lager maybe) sized dollop right in the middle of the surface. Not spread.
For better video card fan control performance, I'd recommend what I use (for gaming): EVGA Precision v2.0.0
http://downloads.guru3d.com/eVGA-Precision…nload-2611.html
Enable and tick "User defined software and auto. fan control" (safe). Do NOT use manual control settings.System requirements:
- Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 (both x86 and x64 versions) with full
administrative rights
- NVIDIA 6, 7, 8, 9, 200 and 400 series graphics card
- NVIDIA ForceWare 96.xx or higher drivers
A bit of a warning. With this software you can also overclock your VC. Try to resist, as your temps. are not good already and any overclocking will only increase the temp. and if you don't seriously know what you are doing, you can destroy your card. So please ignore that feature and stick to the auto fan control and check your new temps.
Cheers,
Lee
Nahumi
Hello again EN8400GS,
Considering this is related to your earlier topic, please try to keep any relating question within that topic. Some techs looking at this topic may not be aware of the other one and would treat it as a separate case.
Just re-post the question in the older topic and I'll request we close this one.
Cheers,
Nahumi
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI