Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Brower Redirect issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rhendrickx

Rhendrickx

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:23 PM

For a few weeks now, when I use either google or my homepage search engine, then click one of the first few listings, the browser gets redirected to a differrent search engine, lisitng similar types of sites but not exactly matches to what I am trying to search. Even if I search for a specific site like "What the Tech" or Amazon. Clicking on a listing that is 4 or 5 listing down gets me to the site listed. I tried running Malwarebytes to find a virus but it came up clean. Any advice?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:36 PM

Are you using Internet Explorer? If so, try running it without Add-ons and see if the problem occurs. If not then one of them is causing the problem, so start IE normally then click on Tools / Manage Add-ons and start disabling them a few at a time until you find the one causing the problem. Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Rhendrickx

Rhendrickx

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:32 AM

I am running windows xp - internet explorer. I disabled the add-on but it is still happening. Now what?

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:29 AM

Hi, it sounds likely that you may have picked up a bit of cleverly hidden malicious code that is giving you a redirect...... to get this checked out, take a look here:
http://forums.whatth...howtopic=106388
follow the directions carefully and post your logs in the correct forum (not here in this subforum please) and a malware removal expert will advise you if any steps are necessary to clean your machine, and provide you with step by step directions as required.

Once your machine has been declared clean, post back here in this sub forum if you are still having issues with it and we will take it from there
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate