Hi
My friend brought me her dads computer. That started freezing on him and he was unable to log into of his accounts and files.
When turned it on it loaded once but shut itself down after about 5 min.
Now it will not start up even in safe mode.
Start up repair runs but is unable to fix problem it gave me the report.
windows error recovery recent hardware or software window file damaged
windows file corp
start up can not repair
problem signature 06 1
problem event name startup repair offline
Root cause found
ACLs on file c:\ windows\system32\rtsUStor.dll are not proplr,old value=oxo
repair action; Access control repair
Result: Failed Error code= 0x45d
Root cause found:
ACLs on file c:\ windows\system32\drivers\jastor.sys are not proper. old value =0x0
ACLs on file c:\ windows\system32\drivers\srv.sys are not proper. old value =0x0
ACLs on file c:\ windows\system32\drivers\SynTP.sys are not proper. old value =0x0
ACLs on file c:\ windows\system32\drivers\usbscan.sys are not proper. old value =0x0
i went into safe mode menu
told it to stop auto run and it took me to this sreen
Check for virus on your computer
Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers.
check your hard drive to make sure in is properly configured and is terminated
Run CHKDSK/ F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.
tech info
Stop; oxoooooo7B(0XFFFFF880009A98E8
0XFFFFFFFFC0000034
0X0000000000000000
0X0000000000000000
IT IS A DELL
RUNNING WINDOWS 7
4G
I am not sure were to go from here. I can not get it to da more then that.
Thank you for any help.
Traci
ACLs means Access Control List or permissions. Sounds like some got messed up somehow. This is almost always a result of some registry corruption so doing a System Restore from the System Recovery Options may fix it.
Thank you for your help.
I tried that and there were no restore points.
It did ask to create one but i was unsure so i just exited out
Thank again
traci
In your case, you would enter cd c:\windows\system32\drivers in the Command Prompt window then icacls * /Q /C /RESET (leave off the /T for now unless you get additional ACL errors from sub-directories of system32.
Exit Win 7 RE and reboot, see if that fixed the problem.
What is the model number of the Dell and Service Code? If it came with Windows 7 it should have a Recovery partition you access via a Fn key, often F11 or Ctrl+F11 at boot time that will allow you to restore teh computer to it's factory new state. This will wipe out all existing data so if there is anything you need to save it has to be done before you do the Recovery.
With the Dell model number (Inspiron or Precision or … and the model number actually) or Service Code I can look at the users guide at the Dell site to see exactly how you start the Recovery Process.
If you are not ready to do that yet, we can try copying the registry backup files from
C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack
to
C:\Windows\System32\config
renaming the existing ones to .bak before copying the files.
DEFAULT to DEFAULT.bak
SAM to SAM.bak
etc.
This would be done from the Recovery Options Command Prompt. I'll provide step by step instructions if you want, but my recommendation at this point would be to save any data you want then start over as I think this will be a quicker and more certain fix.
Your choice
Thank you for your time.
This is what I was thinking also.
but I have no ideal how to try and save anything he has. Like pictures. What I think he was most concerned about.
Dell Inspiron 1750 NB 4gbram.320GBHD
serivice tag 45DNSJI
yes it came with windows 7 home premium 64 bit
It is less then a year old. and I have all the disc
Thank you again for your help.
Your stop error could be related to trouble accessing the hard drive.
Get back to the command prompt and check your file system and hard drive for trouble before proceeding further.
Use the command chkdsk /r. Watch for messages about "Windows replacing bad clusters…" these are messages about physical defects on your hard drive and are important.
Its always a good thing to check.
This might even fix the permission issues if there is some file system corruption.
I'm sure Rich will have some other suggestions when he gets back around.
[Use the command chkdsk /r. Watch for messages about "Windows replacing bad clusters…" these are messages about physical defects on your hard drive and are important.]
I tried this and this is what it told me
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.
Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.
Actually, the Windows Vista/Windows 7 recovery environment drops you onto the X: drive when you start a command prompt. I forgot about this, and that is why chkdsk /r did not work. Chkdsk C: /r will work.
Hi
Thank You Both
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPEN HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE VALID.
would you like to force a dismount on this volume?( y/n)
I just left it at that. I have not choose either.
Thank you again for your help.
Traci
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI