This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows problem

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there Could anyone help me with this please? When I start my PC it goes through start up, windows loads, all the start up processes kick in and part way through, the computer freezes completely. This morning I was able to get started by closing QuickTime in the bottom right task bar and when my Quicken scheduler popped up I quickly closed it, and the startup continued. The computer is now operating normally but will freeze next time I start it. Can anyone suggest what I might do? Thanks

QuickTime in the bottom right task bar and when my Quicken scheduler popped up I quickly closed it, and the startup continued.

If closing Quicken allows a normal start-up, it would be advisable to disable QuickTime/Quicken from your start-up menu as a temp. solution until the problem is futher investigated by Ztrucker if a System Restore does not fix the problem. It will not stop you from using the program, but it is not needed in the start-up menu. Not now, not ever.

To remove from start-up:

1. Start / Run / type in msconfig / enter / start-up tab and untick the program there / apply / OK

Cheers,
Lee
Well what a carry on. I tried the restore function but it didn't work. It seemed to corrupt my user profile and Outlook then wouldn't open so I un-restored it, trying to get back where I was but the user profile seemed to have gone forever. I created a new user profile and transferred everything over. I don't think I've addressed my original issue but I'll report back in a day or so. Thanks for the help
It seems the freezing is back. This morning the computer booted, I was able to open Outlook check email. But when I tried to write an email the whole shebang froze. On 2nd startup. I opened Outlook, clicked on the link from an email message to this thread and tried to reply here and it froze again. on 3rd startup I ignored outlook, disabled Kaspersky and QuickTime, and went straight into my Chrome browser and came to this thread and am now typing this message. I first thought it might be something to do with startup but now it looks like it may be something to do with outlook. Any thoughts? Many thanks
I'm having the same issues but at the same time I'm getting clues. The computer freezes when I use the keyboard. The previous two times I tried to type this reply froze and the third time I tried to bring up task manager by Ctr-alt-delete and it froze again. The only way to shut down is by holding the on/off switch down. Does this suggest anything? Thanks
Certainly could be a hardware problem as suggested by Ztruker.
But could also be excessive applications and processes operating in the background from startup.

See if you can navigate over to PCPitstop to run the OverDrive Full Tests.

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. At WTT we prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards
It doesn't seem to be as congested as I had anticipated.

Still, the system is consuming an estimated 34% of CPU and 20% of RAM…. just in a relatively low activity resting state during testing.

You "could" safely disable…

ATI Hotkey Utility ATI External Event Utility for Windows ATI Technologies Inc. 0 3
ATI Hotkey Utility ATI External Event Utility for Windows ATI Technologies Inc. 0 4
Creative CD-ROM Creative Service for CDROM Access Creative Technology Ltd 0 1
PhotoshopElements 0 1
Legitimate WinLogon Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 0 2
Google Update Google Update Google Inc. 0 2
CD-RW support Sonic Solutions 0 4
Speech Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 0 3
Debugger Microsoft® Visual Studio .NET Microsoft Corporation 0 3
Canon Access Library Canon Inc. 0 3
iPod Service iTunes Apple Inc. 0 4
Unknown Bonjour Apple Inc. 0 4
Unknown Apple Inc. 0 7
Unknown iTunes Apple Inc. 0 13
Unknown QuickTime Apple Inc. 0 2


**possible exceptions**
Unknown MozyHome Online Backup Mozy, Inc. 0 13


If it was my machine, I would do so.

But I can't predict to what extent, if at all, disabling those items would improve performance.

Because….
Most of the machine resources being consumed, are being used by:
– Kaspersky
– Internet Explorer
– Mozy Online Backup
– Service Host Process
______________________________________

Another feature that begs for attention is your Hard Drive
Since it is a SATA ST3120026AS, it should be functioning in the range of 50-65 mb/s, instead of the current 22 mb/s
C:\ is a generously sized HD and has 39% FREE Space, which is also good.
But C:\ is seriously fragmented at 21%

I've learned to not expect much improvement from Defragging today's larger HD's
But in your present case, I would give it a shot.

Reboot into SAFE Mode
Use MS Disk Cleanup
—Do not select to "Compress old files"
Allow other recommended temporary file deletions

Then use Disk Defragmenter

Please post back with your progress and further comments/questions.
Doug - thanks so much for the help. You say I could disable that list of items. Would I do that within each program or somewhere within Windows? Sorry I think my inexperience is showing :)
I'm sure Doug means disable from starting up on boot, not uninstall.

To disable the programs from start-up:

1. Start / Run / type in msconfig / enter / start-up tab and untick the program there / apply / OK



Cheers,
Lee
I disabled all of the items I could find. Some of them I couldn't identify.

However I did the defrag thing which took a while there was so much to do. But immediately afterwards I tried to save the report but the minute I tried to give the file a name the computer froze again even in safe mode.

Any thoughts where we should look now? We've identified that it occurs consistenlty with any keyboard input, even if safe mode. That suggests a software issue to me but I'm no expert.

Looking forwrad to any suggestions, thanks

ps one thing that occurred to me was that some weeks ago I had this CiceroUIWndFrame error and I did the following. It seemed to solve the isdsue for a while. Could this be related?



SYMPTOMS
While shutting down a Windows 2000 or Windows XP machine with Office XP, an error popup windows appears warning that CiceroUIWndFrame is not responding. Clicking OK however will cause the shutdown sequence to continue normally (except mine locked completely)
CAUSE
This seems to be related to Office XP speech/handwriting recognition.

RESOLUTION
They can be disabled by going to Add/Remove Progams in the Control Panel, Add/Remove Features-Office Shared Features->Alternative User Input and Make unavailable Speech and Handwriting.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI