I have read that system restore has problems in Win 7 x 64. Niether Dell not M.S. would look into it but said a patch may be issued.
My slide bar defaults to the left ( only showing the % of points I have created), and when I move it to the right to allow for more space, it bouces back to the left.
When I first got the machine, system restore was off, by default and the dot,(which allows you to turn it off, do just folders, or do the system), could not be moved. At least I have been able to turn it on, create a point and restore to that date. So it is functioning but not completely repaied.
Can anyone help me resolve the slidebar issue, or suggest any work around to repair rhis corrupted program. I have already formated the hard drive, reinstalled Windows and let system restore create a few points.?
Thank you
Peter, I run Win 7 Pro X64 and System Restore works fine for me, no problems.
📎SRSettings.jpg
I run with UAC turned off, wonder if that makes a difference. Try it and see what happens. Doesn't seem likely but who knows.
4.89gb for system restore Ztruker?
I set it at about 1GB which allows for about 5 restore points (200MB a point is about average).
Is that too little?
Cheers,
Lee
Hi Z -Glad you jumped in.
My problems may be my naiveté. Please see my attachment as to my inability to move the slide bar to the right.
Perhaps this is unlike XP where you move the bar to the right to increase the space for points.
Maybe the bar moves to the right as points are added and you move the slide to the left to decreased space and remove points.
At any rate, I can now create a point and recover to the date I want. When I first got the machine, I could not move the bar and the dot was on the bottom of the three choices. It was off by default and I could not move it.
I have worked all out except for my not understanding the slide bar.
You can see the error message I get when I try to move the bar to the right.
Peter
This used to be the workaround for the automatic 10% allocation for restore points on Vista. It's a bit redundant on Windows 7 because they reintroduced the slider from XP, but if you're in a tight spot then you can still adjust the size in this way.
Peter, can you post a screen shot where I can see the windows underneath? From what I can see, you are trying to adjust space for the RECOVERY partition, not the boot drive. If so, don't. Disable SR for the RECOVERY partition. Nothing should ever be written there.
Select your C: boot drive then you should be able to change the amount of space allocated.
Lee, I like to have more SR points available. I currently have 12 SR points going back to 12/29/2010 (per CCleaner/Tools/System Restore - great way to manage SR points).
Lee, I like to have more SR points available. I currently have 12 SR points going back to 12/29/2010 (per CCleaner/Tools/System Restore - great way to manage SR points).
Thanks for that info. Ztruker. I was worried that I was setting my SR space way too slim. I might knock it up to 1,5GB, just to give myself a little more leeway because I'm often doing a bit of experimenting.
This used to be the workaround for the automatic 10% allocation for restore points on Vista. It's a bit redundant on Windows 7 because they reintroduced the slider from XP, but if you're in a tight spot then you can still adjust the size in this way.
Nahumi
I am not techy enough to perform that. Also, i would like to know if I am doing something wrong and if not, how to 'fix' system restore without tearing things apart.
Thank you for the suggestion.
Peter
Peter, can you post a screen shot where I can see the windows underneath? From what I can see, you are trying to adjust space for the RECOVERY partition, not the boot drive. If so, don't. Disable SR for the RECOVERY partition. Nothing should ever be written there.
Select your C: boot drive then you should be able to change the amount of space allocated.
Lee, I like to have more SR points available. I currently have 12 SR points going back to 12/29/2010 (per CCleaner/Tools/System Restore - great way to manage SR points).
Here are the attachments you requested. I do not understand," don't. Disable SR for the RECOVERY partition".
I hilight only the C: drive for my pc.
Hi Peter,
What Ztruker means is that the screen shot shows that you have system Restore set to operate on your Recovery parttion..this is incorrect the settings should read:
C drive On
J drive Off
Recovery Drive Off
It is only necessary to have System Restore Points for your Boot drive, that is the drive that holds your operating system (which in your case is C:)
Hope this helps
Regards
paws
The box has 1- C:, 2- recovery, 3- J: my usb drive, and4- C: with the word 'missing after it as my attachment shows.
Some of the checks are ghosts and cannot be checked and unchecked.
There is something wrong
I uninstalled Norton with their removal tool and the problem remains.
I think some tinkering in a folder is next but i don't know where or how.
I turned system restore off and rebooted.
This is now what I see but am unable to turn 'recovery' off. I can only hilite lines or items with a blue bar when i click on one.
I will now create a point and see tomorrow what I can do.
I'm sorry to be late with this reply so I could save you all some work.
I kept working on this and found that as soon as I turned system retore off the on again all seems to be working.
I cam n move the barcrete a point and revert settings back a day or when ever.
One question remains, the words to the left of the 'create' box say," Create a restore point right now for the drives that have system protection turned on."
AsI have previously stated, I have no way to turn drives on or off but can put a blue bar across the drive in the box, hilighting it.
Please see the attachment that demonstares this ;recovery in particular is on as well as C: while only J: usb drive is off.
Can you actually click a button to turn a drive on and off?I will enter safe mode and see what happens but I believe I have done this as one of my trouble shooting steps.
Peter, are you saying you can't select RECOVERY or My Book (J:) and click on Configure to turn off SR for those drives/partitions? If so, have you tried doing it from Safe Mode?
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI