This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Hungapp constantly appearing, stopping computer

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am constantly getting this (not responding) message when using IE 8 . It appears as though my Dell laptop is constantly 'hanging up' on some processes. I am running XP, service pk 3, and Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus When I click on details, this is the latest message I received: szModName, hungapp szVer, 8.0.6001.18702 I am a bit computer iliterate due to my age and late arrival to computers, so please bear with me Brian
Another thing that just appeared on this computer is that my Menu & favorites bars have turned black in color making them difficult to read.
Hiya Beiland,

Sorry to hear about your problems with the pc. My first thought is of possible infections so I would like to have you head over to our Malware forums and start a topic their first to be sure they are no infections causing the problems.

If they give you the all clear then report back here and we will see if we can repair your problem.

1. But Lets try this first if, you want to try and make sure it not a add on causing the problems try this:

IE Trouble Shooting

Please remember that it is possible to use IE with No Add-ons, without making permanent changes to the regular configuration of IE.
Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Internet Explorer (no add-ons)

This is much like SAFE Mode, in that it does not change normal settings, but allows for functioning in a testing environment without the influence of those normal settings.

In concept, the use of Internet Explorer no add-ons is "similar" to renaming a file extension instead of deleting the file.

Here's an MSDN comment about the use of Internet Explorer - no add-ons:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx

2. Report back here with the results, before moving on to the next step Below.

3. Now if that does not help, Here is the link to follow with instructions of what to do at the malware forums.

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=106388

Have A Good Day,
Jimbo1
I am almost certain I do not have any virus. I run the full Microsoft Security Essentials program almost every other day, and only recently downloaded that on a recommendation from a very knowledgeable repair guy who was helping me install a new hard drive in my desktop computer. I had previously run AVG pro antivirus on both of my computers, and scan them often. Most of my time on the internet is on two boating forums I participate in…and a few other tech research sites….no porn sites,etc. I had googled this 'hungapp' subject earlier and it appears as though most comments indicated some sort of Microsoft screw up…maybe with their new Explorer 8 program?? I wouldn't be surprised at that as it seems microsoft puts a lot of new stuff out on the market with lots of cliches in it. In fact I'm getting rather tired of their carp**, and really thinking about getting a MAC I just experienced another 'hungapp' hangup. This time it said: szAppName: WINWORD.EXE Verison: 9.0.0.2717 When it does this hangup it says "Windows Internet Explorer (not responding)", and just hangs there doing nothing and not responding to any keypad or mouse input. The finally after a minute or so, the (not responding) meesage goes away, and the computer works again. Thanks, Brian
Oops Jimbo, I'm sorry. i replied to only the first portion of your message about the virus possibility before I read the rest of your suggestions. So now I will look over your next suggestions and try to perform them

Hiya Beiland,

1. But Lets try this first if, you want to try and make sure it not a add on causing the problems try this:

IE Trouble Shooting

Please remember that it is possible to use IE with No Add-ons, without making permanent changes to the regular configuration of IE.
Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Internet Explorer (no add-ons)

This is much like SAFE Mode, in that it does not change normal settings, but allows for functioning in a testing environment without the influence of those normal settings.

In concept, the use of Internet Explorer no add-ons is "similar" to renaming a file extension instead of deleting the file.

Here's an MSDN comment about the use of Internet Explorer - no add-ons:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx

2. Report back here with the results, before moving on to the next step Below.


OK I tried that. Got it to IE with no add-ons.

It once again hung up with the (not reponding) message

This time it said:
AppName: iexplore.exe
AppVer: 8.0.6001.18702

Hiya Beiland,

1. But Lets try this first if, you want to try and make sure it not a add on causing the problems try this:

IE Trouble Shooting

Please remember that it is possible to use IE with No Add-ons, without making permanent changes to the regular configuration of IE.
Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Internet Explorer (no add-ons)

This is much like SAFE Mode, in that it does not change normal settings, but allows for functioning in a testing environment without the influence of those normal settings.

In concept, the use of Internet Explorer no add-ons is "similar" to renaming a file extension instead of deleting the file.

Here's an MSDN comment about the use of Internet Explorer - no add-ons:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx

2. Report back here with the results, before moving on to the next step Below.


OK I tried that. Got it to IE with no add-ons.

It once again hung up with the (not reponding) message

This time it said:
AppName: iexplore.exe
AppVer: 8.0.6001.18702
I am almost certain I do not have any virus. I run the full Microsoft Security Essentials program almost every other day, and only recently downloaded that on a recommendation from a very knowledgeable repair guy who was helping me install a new hard drive in my desktop computer. I had previously run AVG pro antivirus on both of my computers, and scan them often.
————————————————————————————————————————————————————————–
Q. Can you give some info as to why you installed a new harddrive, is this the current one you are using now and if so was data copied to this drive off the old one or was an image of the old drive done and moved it into the newer drive?

This could be a sign of corrupted files.
________________________________________________________________________________


I had googled this 'hungapp' subject earlier and it appears as though most comments indicated some sort of Microsoft screw up…maybe with their new Explorer 8 program?? I wouldn't be surprised at that as it seems microsoft puts a lot of new stuff out on the market with lots of cliches in it. In fact I'm getting rather tired of their carp**, and really thinking about getting a MAC

I just experienced another 'hungapp' hangup. This time it said:
szAppName: WINWORD.EXE
Verison: 9.0.0.2717

When it does this hangup it says "Windows Internet Explorer (not responding)", and just hangs there doing nothing and not responding to any keypad or mouse input. The finally after a minute or so, the (not responding) meesage goes away, and the computer works again.
________________________________________________________________________________


Again could be possible corrupted files, WINWORD.EXE this is MS Word program and poping up saying they could be some problems.

But Anti-Virus software alone IMO not good for catching all Spyware and All Malware, I speak from my past experiance of dealing with infected machines.

For right now give us the details of what took place with the new drive, , What happen, what was done and When did the problem start? This is needed to see what we may have to do.

We still have a few options open and things we may have to look at.

Jimbo1
There may be some confusion here; I did NOT install a new hard drive in my Dell laptop…that is the computer I am now having a problem with. My desktop HP computer is the one I installed a new hard drive into,…and I am not having a problem with that one. Meantime I have been using this laptop WITHOUT the IE add-ons, and it both appears to be faster, and I have had VERY FEW 'not responding' messages. In other words working much better. So i guess part of my problem is associated with all this extra carp** in IE-8 ?? I had only recently allowed IE 8 to be installed on this laptop as I kept being hounded to do so after I unloaded AVG antivirus and installed Security Essentails….I guess it is a Microsoft thing to hound each person to upgrade to their 'latest/greatest' carp**. After I did install IE 8 I started having problems. So I thought lets go back to IE 7. I made that attempt by uninstalling IE8 and reinstalling IE7. But I quickly discovered that this didn't work so well. I was having real problems with the computer operating at all on the internet. So after one fustrating day trying to figure out what had happened, I just gave up and reinstalled IE8 again. The computer starting working better, but then i began to get all these 'hung-app' meesages again. Ever since I took the 'add-ons' off per your original suggestion, things have improved. but it still operates slower than I might suppose. In a somewhat similar vein, I once had a problem with my desktop computer wherein I did a check on my total used harddrive space and found it was practically all used up !! When I inquired with a technician he said I must be a computer hog with just too many big files onboard. I said to my knowledge I had never been over 1/4 the total capacity of the hard drive. Subsequenty we found that the computer had all this extra files in a "hidden file" that Microsoft had built into XP. We eliminated all those duplicate files and the computer was back to 1/4 full and operated MUCH faster again. I noted that my Dell laptop is about 60% full and I doubt i have that much original content stored on it. BUT I forgot how to find those "hidden files" that are built into the XP program??
Hi beiland, I will be consulting with Jimbo1 regarding: — possible issues of uninstalling IE 8 — other issues _______________________ Glad to know that you are experiencing some "partial" relief. We'll keep tracking down a more complete solution. Best Regards

…..In concept, the use of Internet Explorer no add-ons is "similar" to renaming a file extension instead of deleting the file.

Here's an MSDN comment about the use of Internet Explorer - no add-ons:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx

2. Report back here with the results, before moving on to the next step Below.

3. Now if that does not help, Here is the link to follow with instructions of what to do at the malware forums.

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=106388

Have A Good Day,
Jimbo1

Should I try this 'next' step suugested by Jimbo originally,….or hold off??

I am also running a defrag of C-drive since I have not done so in quite awhile.

I'm not sure as I can't always remember what the computer is saying to me instruction wise, but I think I detected some sort of incompatibility with security matters when I was trying to operate my laptop on the new wireless 'n' router (Belkin FD5D-8236) I installed in my friends house I am visiting here in FL. I had to the wireless router without any of its built-in security features as I just couldn't get it to work with my laptop. (this probably doesn't have anything to do with my problem I guess. It was just another piece of the puzzel I was sorting thru to get my laptop running properly at his house}.

I am currently not experiencing many (not reponding) errors at all. I'm beginning to think the real culprit is the add-ons of IE8.


Sorry for this extra confusion factor.
Now I have another problem…a fake virus from what I read.

As I went to defrag my computer this program HDD Defrag popped up and before I knew it it ran a diagnostic and told me of many problems with my C-drive. When I googled that HDD Defrag I found it to be some sort of malware that wants to sell me some sort of download fix. I did not purchase this fix, and have tried for 5 hrs today to get this carp** program off my laptop. But I can't seem to get it totally cleared off. I searched for ever file/folder that has HDD in its name and sent them all to the trash, but still unable to get this carp** off my laptop. These people should go to jail that put this carp** on the internet.

This is what I tried to use:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi…23191253AAXiYTL FDD Removal recommendation



Help please

Now I have another problem…a fake virus from what I read.

As I went to defrag my computer this program HDD Defrag popped up and before I knew it it ran a diagnostic and told me of many problems with my C-drive. When I googled that HDD Defrag I found it to be some sort of malware that wants to sell me some sort of download fix. I did not purchase this fix, and have tried for 5 hrs today to get this carp** program off my laptop. But I can't seem to get it totally cleared off. I searched for ever file/folder that has HDD in its name and sent them all to the trash, but still unable to get this carp** off my laptop. These people should go to jail that put this carp** on the internet.

This is what I tried to use:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi…23191253AAXiYTL FDD Removal recommendation



Help please


Ok Beiland

Please do not try anything else nor try to use any other program to fix your problems, buy doing so could cause futher problems. Please wait for instructions.

Now as Ztruker said in post # 14 follow those instructions to get over to the malware section and follow their instructions, once cleared of any infections then report back here if you are still having problems with IE 8.

Jimbo1

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI